ROV Sportsman Xtreme 3W 2xAA first impression

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Impulsive buy... Couldn't resist the price. Shopping at wally-world I happened to run across the flashlights and noticed they had one ROV Sportsman Xtreme 3W 2xAA left.

So here I am an hour later and I must say this is a pretty nice light for the price. Has a nice focused beam with usable spill and it's a pretty good thrower. I'd say it's maybe a step down in quality from the Inovas I have, but it's still very good. I like the integrated clip and lanyard, all included.

I will probably replace the flickery Minimag in my car with this light.

Anyone know which LED this uses?

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
This one has an orange peel style reflector and the emitter looks a bit different from the Lux III in my (dead) Mag 3xAA.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info.. The light is certainly quite bright. Package claims 80 lumens. I'll be interested to see how my '08 Inova T2 compares when it arrives. I know the T2 MP is rated at 125 lumens, so it'll be interesting to see the visual difference between these two lights.

A little more digging around online and I have found that this is actually a Nuwai X-3, also sold under the River Rock name and ROV.

A quick check with fresh batteries in both and my Inova X0 seems a tad brigher. Bounce test confirms. The ROV doesn't get anywhere near as warm as the K2 based X0.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, I'm seeing the newer 3xAAA Coleman with the Cree XRE-Lamp and 2 other colored LEDs showing up at Wal-Mart. And this is one store that rarely gets anything new in flashlight wise. I believe the price was $28.00

I would've considered it, but a fan of battery carriers I certainly am not.

Oh, and it claimed 115 lumens on the packaging. 6 hours runtime on the cree, not sure about runtime on the colored LEDs.

Last edited:

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Who knows, maybe I'll have to check out one of those as well. I think for now I'm done spending money on flashlights for a little while; I ordered an Inova T2 last week and picked this light up. So I've spent $85 on flashlights in the course of a couple of days. These will all cover my needs nicely.

My next flashlight purchase will probably be the Ra Twisty next month, which from what I keep reading is a terrific all-rounder of a light.

I have to keep in mind that these things are tools after all, and I have enough to cover my needs. X5 for the IT job, ROV has replaced the old flickery Minimag in my glovebox, T2 will be my outdoor/camping light.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd skip it over the battery carrier. There will be ones showing up soon enough without them. The ROV will do justice as a glovebox light. I used the 1 watt version for awhile.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I think for now I'm done spending money on flashlights for a little while;

Notice the words:

-- think

-- for now

-- for a little while

At least you've left yer'self a few loopholes. :p

:)

I know the feeling !

:wave:

BTW, i have the old (2006) version of Nuwai X-3,
3-watt Luxeon model.

At the time, it was claimed to be the brightest 2-AA (alkaline) flashlight !

My, how things have changed, eh ?
_

Last edited:

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Notice the words:

-- think

-- for now

-- for a little while

At least you've left yer'self a few loopholes. :p

Yes. And you know *why* I left a few loopholes. I will, after all, eventually purchase one of the Ra lights. Not sure which yet, though as of late I am thinking clicky.

Meanwhile, I am well covered for now :tinfoil: