< $100 Surfire, which one

brucered

Newly Enlightened
i'm heading to Grandforks and Fargo this week and thought about checking out Cabelas & Schells for a good flashlight. i was thinking of a SUREFIRE, but want to keep it under $100.

i don't care if it's AA or CR123 batteries. i want something that is super bright with decent runtime and i kind of like the tactical looking lights such as the Fenix TK10

i was considering these from cabelas, but don't know what schells carries:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results2.jsp?nyr=1&Ne=3&Ntt=surefire&noImage=0&QueryText=surefire&Ntk=Products&Ntx=matchall&Ns=SEL_HIGH_PRICE|1&N=50+4294965097&nyr=1

Z2 for $93
E1L for $99
E1E for $79
E2E for $96
G2Z for $79
6PD for $75

and no, i can't order online from fenix or similar, because my wife gave me a $100 free buy what you want, no questions asked, when i'm away this week.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: > $100 Surfire, which one

What about a 6PD? Definitely a mean looking light, and very easy to upgrade because of the p60 lamp assembly, and does well with high powered LED dropins to the heatsinking ability of the metal head. :poke:

brucered

Newly Enlightened

What about a 6PD? Definitely a mean looking light, and very easy to upgrade because of the p60 lamp assembly, and does well with high powered LED dropins to the heatsinking ability of the metal head. :poke:

thanks. i've updated my shortlist.

that's why i ask you guys, you know what you're talking about, i don't.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Either the 6PD or Z2.

Uses P60 module so it can be easily "modded" by swapping in different batteries and/or modules.

They are also metal so you can use a LED module without fear of overheating.

Buying the 6PD will give you a forward clickie and some money to buy a drop-in(but the drop-in would probably have to bought online).

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

One SF light that I really like is the L1 Lumamax. The size and weight is perfect for me and I like the 2-stage lock-out tailcap switch. Although it's rated at 65 lumens, it's actually pretty bright ... some members tested it out to be around 80+ lumens out the front. The retail price is $135, but I picked one up from the marketplace for $85 shipped. I've seen a few floating in the marketplace for about $90. Good luck.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hands down, I would recommend the E1L.

One of the best lights available today. It has a wonderful beam that reaches out pretty far with just enough spill. Long runtime on high and super long runtime on low.

As production lights go right now, the only other 1 cell lights that I would choose over it would be the Ra Twisty or the Novatac 120P.

I have owned 2 E1B's and my E1L throws as well as either of them.

Burgess

Flashaholic

BTW, yer' "arrow" has ta' point to the LEFT to indicate " Less Than ".

:whistle:

Oh, and Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

You've got questions, we've got answers !

( as long as you've got a Credit Card )

:)

Good Luck in locating the flashlight of your dreams.

:thumbsup:
_

dandruff

Enlightened

if you meant to say "less than $100 Surefire" it should be "<$100" not ">$100"

ok ill shut up now:D

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

how come the E1L on Cabelas lists it as 25 Lumen and on the Surefire site, it shows it as 45 Lumen and the runtime listed on Surefire is way longer too? what am i missing?

Cabelas:
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0019831517022a.shtml

Surefire:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...r=6&prrfnbr=24263&sesent=0,0&search_id=931736

There's a generation gap. The current production E1L uses a newer LED. The original E1L's used luxeon emitters and were less efficient. Not sure if cabelas has old stock or just hasn't updated it's ad.

generic808

Enlightened

Either the 6PD or the 6PD LED. I'd go with a 6PD and get a TnC Detonator in black for $24.99 when it becomes available again. That would put you right at your budget at $99.99 :whistle:

brucered

Newly Enlightened
thanks, and i guess i forgot my grade 7 math, i've updated my title.

i'll definitely look at the E1L and make sure it's the new generation.

thanks everyone.

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened

Hands down, I would recommend the E1L.

+1 on the E1L.
Just make sure it is the newest generation with the dual modes. If you can get away with it pick yourself up a F04 diffuser for it, makes this amazing little light even more versatile.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an under $100 thread, and believe me, I understand about gettting an allowance! Please check the Cree L1. You never know when you will find a deal on this light. It will NOT take the upgrade brighter lamp assemblies but with the throw of the optic, give at least as much usable light as my 6p led. The 10 lumen low is even enough for most tasks, with a 16 hour runtime. Add to this MUCH lighter weight, much smaller size, and type 3HA. This is still my favorite light of all for value- even though I have a NovaTac 120p, Fenix P3Dce, etc......If I only had one SF light, this would be the one.

If you are unable to diet to buy this light, (save your lunch money for a week and add it to the $100,) the 6p does rock, as well. I just think the positives of the L1 make it worth some hunger pains.
[If there was a smiley face guy with a growling belly, I would put him here.]

Fooboy

Enlightened
+ 1 for E1L.

I have an L1 and their is not THAT much difference.

It's an all around sweet light.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Definitely either the E1L or the 6PL if you have $100 to spend.

If you buy the 6PL ($85) you would have a few bucks left over for more batteries or a filter, holster, lanyard, etc.

If you buy the E1L (new dual-output version) you have $1 left. Maybe a trip to the snack bar in Cabela's for a cup of coffee?

The E1L puts out 45 lumens on the high setting with more of it as a throw beam (and has a low of 3 lumens that comes on first). The 6PL puts out 80 lumens with more of it as a flood beam (there is no low setting).

Both can be upgraded later on. With the E1L you would need to buy a new head (about $66). With the 6PL you would need to buy a new bulb or LED module (ranges in price up to $39).

Runtime on high is estimated by some folks to be about 4 hours in regulation with the E1L (despite SF's website stating 8+ hours). For the 6PL the high runtime has been measured at close to 3 hours in regulation. The E1L takes a single battery, while the 6PL takes two batteries.

If you want something to carry around in your pocket and you travel a lot, or do a lot of camping or hiking, I'd lean towards the new E1L. If you want a more tactical light to stash in your bag/pack or keep in the car/house, I'd lean towards the 6PL. Both are really great lights, and I own them both.

Personally, I wouldn't get a SureFire incandescent light. Go with LED all the way. Supposedly SF isn't putting any additional R&D dollars into incandescents. The runtime of LEDs outweighs any thoughts I have about different color perception/spectrum issues. Plus, the E1L I got has a nice creamy vanilla tint. Perfect for the outdoors, really makes colors pop.

Good luck! Let us know what you finally get!

(Okay, I have to admit. Maybe I am biased a little bit here. With $100 to do it all over again, I would get the new dual-output E1L.)

:thumbsup:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to agree with most of the posts above and recommend the E1L. If you could by chance swing an extra $10, I'd recommend you take a look at the E1B also ($110). The E1B will give you more output on high and is really a terrific little light. If not, like I said, go with the E1L.

Good luck!

Robert