>> Update << Lumapower ConneXion: Review Posted!

gunga

Flashaholic
Lumapower ConneXion Review

Alright, here is my long overdue review for the Lumapower ConneXion. My apologies for the long delay but I've been rather pre-occupied with work (as well as other much more pleasant things!).

This light was purchased directly from Lumapower and is very similar to the CR123 powered Lumapower Incendio, sharing most characteristics and features. Those who would like more detail may want to consult my Incendio review at: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194317
While it's tempting to follow the same format, I'll try something different this time!

Here's my overview of the ConneXion: a nice, solid offering from Lumapower that features 3 well-spaced modes, full battery compatibility, long runtimes (up to 50 hours advertised) , and a simple, no-nonsense interface.

Handling and Features

The ConneXion is a well built light that is nicely sized for EDC. It's 20.5 x 92 mm long, quite a bit smaller than a Fenix L1D, and similar in size to a Jetbeam Jet-1 mk IBS (see pictures).

The light is finished in a Type II+ (enhanced durability) anodizing and is available only in black. I, like many, hope that Lumapower offers these lights in a natural hard anodized finish in the future, but the black is attractive and quite durable.

The light has a somewhat matte finish as well as two bands of knurling at the head and tail. This aids in handling but I prefer a more aggressive knurling myself (Still, this is far superior to my Jetbeam which is akin to a wet bar of soap). I use o-rings on most of my lights though, so I'm able to get a good cigar grip on the ConneXion.

The light has a forward clicky, nicely finished with a stainless steel trim ring, and a bezel down clip. The clicky is non-serviceable and the clip is non-removable. I find this a shame since I don't use clips, usually opting for lanyards, and also like to have switch access for repair etc. The clip seems a bit undersized for the light, but in limited use, I've found no issues (also, using the o-rings really helps the clip when attaching to a thin shirt pocket).

The clicky glows (a nice touch) and has a good feel, not too firm or soft. The light wobbles slightly when off, but tailstands well when on.

The trim ring is flush with the clicky. My thumbs are average so I don't have issues with the clicky. Those with larger thumbs may prefer to use a cigar grip, using the tip of their thumbs to activate the clicky, or use their index fingers. .

The interface is the same as the Incendio:

- 3 modes, starting on high (No strobe or SOS!)
- Last used memory mode. Note: the light must be kept on for at least 3 seconds to lock mode, a bit longer than the Incendio.
- Unlike the Incendio, no flash to indicate memory has been stored.

I find the interface simple and easy to understand. The memory mode is a bit odd since the light must be kept on for at least 3 seconds to retain the last mode. In any case, I don't have any issues with the UI. It just works. Also, the light only got mildly warm on high, never overheating.

Beam, Tint, Output

The reflector has medium texturing and is surrounded by a glow ring (great feature). The reflector is quite shallow and identical to the Incendio, so expect the same beam with a bit less output. Tint is a pleasing warm white with very mild rose undertones.

The beam is smooth, with a mild cree ring. Spot to spill transition is quite distinct and the spill is bright and wide. It's a very practical beam, optimized for mid range use.

I couldn't find any firm numbers for lumen output, but compared the ConneXion with a known reference: Fenix L1D, Q5 on eneloop.

The Fenix is advertised as: 12, 53, and 107 lumens on low-medium-high.

I don't have a light meter but did notice that the Lumapower is a bit dimmer on all levels using nimh.

My estimate is: 5, 40, and 90 lumens, but this is definitely only an estimate.
The light is somewhat brighter on 14500. It's advertised as 100+ lumens here, and I would believe it.

Last thoughts

All the hot lights these days are pretty fancy programmable affairs. While they are indeed pretty cool, they may be too complicated at times! If you prefer a simpler, solid light with good features and runtimes, definitely remember make a ConneXion!

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lumapower ConneXion: Pictures, review to follow

agreed. this is a fine light. IMO, in several respects it is superior to the ProtonPro and has replaced the PP when i choose to EDC a 1xAA light. unless one really requires a RED LED or an extremely low white output, IMO, the ConneXion is superior to the ProtonPro in a couple respects: 1) the ConneXion is a lil' bit shorter than the PP (but its OD makes it appear a bit bulkier since it doesn't taper down from the head like the PP does) and is the smallest 1xAA light i'm familiar with; 2) the memory feature allows a low white to be activated first.

gunga

Flashaholic

Here is the ConneXion in comparison with the similar Lumapower IncenDio.

ConneXion_20080615_0000_1.jpg

You may notice that the reflector assembly is the same on both. They are interchangeable and will have the same beam pattern.

ConneXion_20080615_0002_3.jpg

They have the same size clicky even though the Incendio has a somewhat thicker body to fit the CR123 cell.

ConneXion_20080615_0001_2.jpg

The Lumapowers have a nice brass contact in the head, so no wearing out of fragile contacts on circuit boards.

ConneXion_20080615_0007_8.jpg

The tail switch is non-removable and non-serviceable. I would hope future models are serviceable.

ConneXion_20080615_0009_10.jpg

Nothing is potted so you could eventually change emitters if you wish to upgrade.

ConneXion_20080615_0010_11.jpg

I prefer to attach a lanyard on mine (note the clip) and I use 3 o-rings on all my lights to improve cigar hold and grip-ability.

ConneXion_20080615_0012_13.jpg

A reflector close up. LED centering is quite good and beam pattern is smooth.

ConneXion_20080615_0013_14.jpg

Here's a comparison with a bunch of well known lights.

ConneXion_20080615_0004_5.jpg

And reflector shots vs the same well known lights.

ConneXion_20080615_0005_6.jpg

So there you have a few choice pix. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Last edited:

Snow

Enlightened

agreed. this is a fine light. IMO, in several respects it is superior to the ProtonPro and has replaced the PP when i choose to EDC a 1xAA light. unless one really requires a RED LED or an extremely low white output, IMO, the ConneXion is superior to the ProtonPro in a couple respects: 1) the ConneXion is a lil' bit shorter than the PP (but its OD makes it appear a bit bulkier since it doesn't taper down from the head like the PP does) and is the smallest 1xAA light i'm familiar with; 2) the memory feature allows a low white to be activated first.

Blasphemy!:mad::p

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics Gunga, I hope you don't mind if I add one of mine:

I am looking forward to your review and yes I agree with you: this Connexion is really a fine light. :)

gunga

Flashaholic

Thanks for the nice family shot KV! I think perhaps my pics are a bit small... Oh well, didn't want to overload the server.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the nice pictures. I like my Incendio a lot. One of the things that I like about the new Lumapower lights other than the very compact size is the pushbutton. I like the look of it with the stainless steel ring and it reminds me of the switch (looks only) of the Inova. I like that it covers the entire bottom and does not have gaps or space for dirt to collect. The glow feature is an extra bonus and adds a bit of coolness to it. These are nice lights for the price and definately worth a look.

Several have been asking for a natural HAIII version of these to come out.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review Gunga. :twothumbs

My experience with the Connexion is also very good and I agree that for EDC a light where you can't mix up the program is often a good choice. ;)

gunga

Flashaholic
Thanks for the feedback! I'm trying out a new Liteflux, and I'm liking it, but if I gave it to someone, and they accidently entered program mode...

Yep, there's something to be said for simpler and solid!