Looking for better throw

skyva

Newly Enlightened
Hi, all, I have a 4 d-cell maglite with a terralux tle-300 head. In my opinion it is nice and bright, with reasonable throw and flood, but I don't own many torches so I have little reference.
I was wondering what might give me better throw. I have not seen any reviews on the maglite with the tle-300 head, so I don't know whether I need to go over the top on cost, or whether something reasonable (for me <$100) will do the job.
For reference I have a 5 acre farm with horses, so I want something that can spot a fox/rabbit/whatthehellisthat at between 50-100yards in the middle of the night. I don't need much flood, as I prefer not to get the stray light into the horses eyes. I have a couple of nice small torches, including a great zebralight h30, for walking around, so the new one would be just for spotting. It can be bigger than jeans pocket size, but preferably shorter than the 4d cell mag. As it will live in the house, run time is not critical.
Am I asking too much?
Any advice would be appreciated.

esetorch1

Banned
hi,
Frankly,nowdays,more and more advanced LED flashlight had been developed.They are brighter ,light and elegant.
Just try to click this link,it will be a another wonderful surprise.It is good choice,how do you think?

[Advertising links removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

GreySave

Enlightened
The Streamlight Super Tac should fill the need. At about $80 it is a good buy, especially given the lifetime warranty. It will throw a useful beam over 100 yards easily. There are lights that throw farther, but that does not seem to be critical to you. It does have side spill, but all long throw lights that use a reflector will have some spill.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a aspheric lens for my minimag with a terralux tle-5ex and it can light things up at 50-100 yards no problem.

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Tiablo A9. An awesome light at $118 but for some reason it's being blown out on dealextreme for $55 shipped. Performance wise it's neck and neck with the DBS, from what I hear.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best of both worlds comes from an ashperic mag with a Cree XR-E. It can focus really tight for extreme throw, and be defocused for a huge wall of light with no donut hole.

This is the light that my Wife uses at home because of its versatility.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want no spill(or very little spill), go with the Aspherical lens kit from Kaidomain.

Some of the lower priced throwers like the WF-600 can work too.

The Malkoffdevices drop-in should also throw 100 yards without too much problem.

This thread might help too.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Tiablo A9. An awesome light at $118 but for some reason it's being blown out on dealextreme for $55 shipped. Performance wise it's neck and neck with the DBS, from what I hear.

WHAT THEEEEEEEEEEe how is it that the A9 is being soldfor 55 bucks! i donnt get it?! is it fake?! i've been wanting one really bad, and for more than 50% off i really want one now.....i dont care if its purple or pink! 55 bucks is a steal!

edit, never mind their outside of the USA, i probably wont be ordering from them...

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also one thing to keep in mind is many flashlights will light up a target at 50-100 yards, but the super throwers will light things up at 50-100 yards brighter. It's all about the lux. A Fenix TK10, Malkoff M60, etc, generate (on my meter) around 6,000-6,500LUX at one meter, where a Dereelight DBS, Tiablo A9, Raidfire Spear, will generate 20,000 to 26,000LUX (DBS being on the high end of the range) at one meter.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
wade, whats the lux on a p3d Q5?, how much more throw does the tk10 on turbo have over the p3d q5 on turbo?

|||||||| p3d
|||||||||||||||| tk10
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| super throwers

is that what im imagening?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
P3D Q5 with a smooth reflector is in the 3,300-3,500LUX range, with an OP a bit less. I have a P3D Rebel 100 with OP and it's about 2,500LUX.

Reflector size makes a big difference.

Figure 200 feet with a P3D, 400 feet with a TK10 (OP reflector), and 800-1,000 feet with a DBS.

As far as about where the beam stops faintly illuminating things. I'm just ball parking there. :)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem I have with the A9, A8, DBS, or the MRV(which I use to own). Is that while they do throw well, that is all that they are good for. They have no medium to flood beam. That is why having and aspheric Mag would make better since. You can have the best of both worlds.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just use a 2D with 3 "C" NIMH batteries. It's not that bad.

I can clip the DBS in my pocket and hardly tell it's there, Mag 2D not so pocket friendly. :)

Maybe Dereelight should make a snap on diffuser that could be flipped up for throw, flipped down for diffused.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't need much flood, as I prefer not to get the stray light into the horses eyes. I have a couple of nice small torches, including a great zebralight h30, for walking around, so the new one would be just for spotting. It can be bigger than jeans pocket size, but preferably shorter than the 4d cell mag. As it will live in the house, run time is not critical.
Am I asking too much?
Absolutely do not get a A9, DBS, P3D, TK10, etc..... All these have too much spill and do not fit your criteria. As others have said you need a flashlight w/ an aspheric lens such as this. The Mag 2 D w/ an aspheric is however probably ideal for what you need.

BMF

Enlightened
I don't need much flood, as I prefer not to get the stray light into the horses eyes. I have a couple of nice small torches, including a great zebralight h30, for walking around, so the new one would be just for spotting. It can be bigger than jeans pocket size, but preferably shorter than the 4d cell mag. As it will live in the house, run time is not critical.
Am I asking too much?
Originally Posted by saabluster
Absolutely do not get a A9, DBS, P3D, TK10, etc..... All these have too much spill and do not fit your criteria. As others have said you need a flashlight w/ an aspheric lens such as this. The Mag 2 D w/ an aspheric is however probably ideal for what you need.

Is it in production yet? I've seen quite a few of your posts and waiting for more info about the release date and price.