Fixing a Playstation 2

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Looking for help/suggestions...anyone ever take a Playstation 2 apart and clean it? Not rocket science, I can handle that if I need to go that route. My son's PS2 loads some games and not others...initially a CD cleaning disk worked, but a couple weeks later...a pretty consistant problem now.

If it's just cleaning the laser lens, probably not anything major. The local "games retailer" said it needed an adjustment (after speaking with them on the phone, they didn't look at it) and it would cost $60. Hey, that's another torch I could buy...

Maybe I should attempt it first, then if I "have to" take it to the PS2 doctor?

Floating Spots

Enlightened
You are in luck. I help someone at work with their son's stuck tray today. The timing couldn't be better.

I don't have a lot of time right now, but there are 8 screws on the bottom. 4 under the feet and another 4 under plastic caps. That pulls the back off. Be careful to separate the switches gently from the housing before setting it aside. Underneath, there are 4 screws that hold the plastic cover on the drive. You may get away with cleaning it. Remember, plastic safe and lint free (and GENTLE). I have heard that PS2s can go out of register, but I have NEVER heard of anyone readjusting them. You can find replacement drives on the net, though.

If you have any questions, send me an e-mail at my account.
I don't often get to this board during the day....

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Mod chip guys do laser re-alignment all the time. Unfortunately, your timing on getting to mod chip sites couldn't be worse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif An Xbox chipper just got sent to jail for 5 months, so naturally there is a bit of a chill running through the mod chip world. Perhaps http://www.modchipforums.com/ will come back online soon, and you can consult the wizards there.

Added
This is the place for you!! It is actually the site of the guy that got thrown in jail, so the DoJ will probably put you on the subversives list, but check out the forums for lotsa info from PS2 obsessed h4x0rs!
Here too; ps2 forumhttp://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=1865
Good Luck!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I appreciate the "aim" you guys gave me...just after posting, I ran across a document on the web that goes into the disassembly in detail. Pretty much just as Floating Spots explains it...

Just saved $60!! Took the 8 screws out, carefully pulled the top cover off. There are 4 little "very tiny" philip screws that hold the top cover to the drive on...took em' out, carefully lifted the cover...isopropyl on a lintless q-tip, rub/clean the laser lens for about 30 seconds...turn over q-tip, dry off lens, reassemble...

"SERVICEABLE"!!

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info for all PSduce owners! Thanks, I might have to do the same thing someday(I really really hope not though)