Jet-1 PRO EX as a Thrower?

Clefable

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have been reading about how Jetbeam torches are good throwers and was thinking of getting one.

I am looking for:
-Good thrower, need it to search for people in the pitch dark of the desert.
-Runs on lithium AA's or AAA's. For good battery life, 2AA's or 3AAA's (or more).
-Well regulated, like the Fenix L2D: output stays the same as it was initially. Fenix L2D output stays constant for up to six hours on lithium. Looking for something with similar battery efficiency.
-At least somewhat dunk proof.

So far the Jetbeam torches seem to be regarded as good throwers. The Jet-1 PRO EX runs on 2AA's. Does it have a good, regulated battery life?

Of course, most importantly is how well it can illuminate stuff that is far far away.

Finally, where can I get them in the UK?

1 what

Enlightened
I expect to take delivery of a Jet 1 Pro EX today or tomorrow. If it's anything like the "old" non-IBS Jet 1 Pro it should have a reasonable throw. I in Australia and buy mine from Bug Out Gear (USA) and have not had any problems. I'll let you know what I think of the EX.

Last edited:

Clefable

Newly Enlightened
Ideally I would need to be able to see what a person is wearing and holding at 50m and to spot a person at 100m.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
I know you wanted AA or AAA, but if you want a thrower then I would suggest the Jet-III 18650 light. The head on the Jet-I Pro or Jet-I Pro EX is smaller so you do not get as much throw(at least if you're talking about something out to 100m).

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

Citivolus

Enlightened
I agree, I regularly use my Jet-II Pro and Jet-III Pro models to check out to 200m, but the Jet-I Pro EX might not quite have the oompf. I'll measure some distances and do a few beam shots into the field beside me tonight with an assortment of relevant torches.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited:

Clefable

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, I am open to suggestions.

The thing is I have access to free brandless 1.5v (1.7v?) lithium AA size cells and normal AAA size cells.

Correct me if I am wrong, 18650 cells are the kinds found in camera and cordless phone battery packs? Are they meant to be rechargeable and do they need their own charger? Will they hold more charge than 2 AA's?

Having free batteries is one of my reasons for looking exclusively at AA powered torches. But if they cannot meet my needs than I may have to look at other lights.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Li-ion batteries have many sizes. The 18 65 0 is 18 mm wide, 65 mm long, cylindrical shape. It's 2mm wider then 2 CR123s in a stack. Larger then 1 AA battery(which is around 14mm wide, 50mm long). They are rechargeable and will require a separate charger. I'd suggest getting protected batteries.

If you are going 18650, I'd suggest checking out the Dereelight DBS. It's one of the best stock LED throwers.

Citivolus

Enlightened
OK, here are some preliminary beam shots of a target around 100m away using torches with a variety of power sources, including the Jet-I Pro EX that you asked about. The exposure approximates the real apparent visual brightness. Roll over the text on the left to update the image on the right.

The LED mini maglite one blows me away :twothumbs

I'll get the true distance to those trees tomorrow, as well as get the rest of the beam shots done and uploaded.

Regards,
Eric

GBH2

Newly Enlightened
OK, here are some preliminary beam shots of a target around 100m away using torches with a variety of power sources, including the Jet-I Pro EX that you asked about. The exposure approximates the real apparent visual brightness. Roll over the text on the left to update the image on the right.

The LED mini maglite one blows me away :twothumbs

I'll get the true distance to those trees tomorrow, as well as get the rest of the beam shots done and uploaded.

Regards,
Eric

Thanks for the great beamshots!

That minimag is definately the best.:eek:

I would love to hear your first hand impressions. It is hard to tell if it is just the difference in the lights or if they were pointed at slightly different spots.
Am I correct that:
The Jet-I Pro Ex didn't out throw the Jet-I Pro R2 or Jet-I Pro IBS.

The Jet-II IBS out throws the Jet-II Pro IBS (OP) and Jet-II Pro IBS (SMO).

The Jet-II IBS out throws the CL1H 3SD OP.

Also, it would be great to know the actual distance when you get the chance.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Citivolus

Enlightened
Ok, here we go. The more useful beam shots are up. I'll have to redo that first series some time with a bit better control over positioning.

Here is the full set. This includes tests at 40m, 55m, 70m, and 85m. The 55m test was L2D vs Jet-I Pro EX only, just to compare throw for those two.

Edit: Oops, fixed a mislabelled picture at 55m.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited:

Citivolus

Enlightened
Am I correct that:
The Jet-I Pro Ex didn't out throw the Jet-I Pro R2 or Jet-I Pro IBS.

The Jet-I Pro R2 and Jet-I Pro IBS were both running a 14500 while the EX was running Eneloops. Therefore, the EX was running off of ~2.7v while the others were around 4v. Visually had I used a NiMH AA in those two, the results would have been different. Side by side, the three have very comparable output with 14500's in the 1xAA versions.

The Jet-II IBS out throws the Jet-II Pro IBS (OP) and Jet-II Pro IBS (SMO).

Again, these three are very similar, with a slight throw advantage going to the SMO reflector in the Pros. Dollar for dollar, the Jet-II I.B.S. still wins, while the Pros have the size advantage.

The Jet-II IBS out throws the CL1H 3SD OP.

These two are much closer in performance than that first test implies. Have a look at the 70m test to see how similar they are. I had the CL1H poorly aimed in the 85m test.

Regards,
Eric

1 what

Enlightened
Since it was the longest night of the year:candle: and I finally got my Jet 1 Pro EX:D I thought a couple more beam shots might be indicated.
Camera was a Canon Power Shot S45.
The flashlights were:
Jet 1 Pro non-IBS model. Smooth reflector.
Jet 1 Pro IBS. OP reflector.
Fenix T1. OP reflector.
Yes I know comparison of smooth and OP reflectors is not valid:mecry:.

My visual impression of the first shot was that there was not much difference between them. One light was aimed on either side of the central well lit tree. The tighter central spot of the nonIBS is evident.

82497767ip3.jpg

Next a large gumtree trunk. This time the IBSEX was set to max output rather than factory high default. The IBS EX looked brighter to me.
91524124fr7.jpg

Next The 2 J1P's plus the Fenix T1 for comparison. The higher output and larger cover of the IBS EX is obvious here. Also great example of the advantage of the larger T1 reflector.
81249134ts3.jpg

Rat6P

Enlightened
I expect to take delivery of a Jet 1 Pro EX today or tomorrow. If it's anything like the "old" non-IBS Jet 1 Pro it should have a reasonable throw. I in Australia and buy mine from Bug Out Gear (USA) and have not had any problems. I'll let you know what I think of the EX.

have you seen this distributor in Australia?

http://www.southern-lights.com.au/

ahhh...they are in this discussion I see

Clefable, you say you have access to free AA's. Thats pretty sweet especially if they are the L91 lithiums (1.7v)
I know that + the size factor of the JIP IBS would sway my decision

Last edited:

1 what

Enlightened
Hi Rat6P. Thanks for the advice re Australian Distributor. I found out too late and the irony is that they are just a few KM from where I live and it will be less expensive for me to buy from them (rather than convert $$ and pay postage). I'll know better next time.

Citivolus

Enlightened
I redid my 40 and 85m beamshots with the EX with a bit more consistency as far as beam alignment, as the original shots were driving me nuts. I also did them with NiMH AA rather than 14500's in most of the torches. The throw contrast is more apparent for those intending to use AA only. I must say that the Jet-I Pro in R2 was a throw monster for its size. It compares favourably with the EX when they are on even grounds for battery type. I can't wait for R2 to get more common.

I've also included a narrow angle view of the 85m target, to get a better idea of actual spot illumination.

http://www.southern-lights.com.au/beamshot/

Regards,
Eric

1 what

Enlightened
Can't help but agree. When you consider its size the Jet 1 Pro is a Throw Monster. The smooth reflector plus tight hot spot is very impressive.