10440 batteries in the LiteFlux LF2X

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the LF2X for a week now, and like it a lot for EDC. I have read at LightReviews.com that 10440's will give twice the light output as the eneloops. In other words, running 10440's at 50% will give more light than eneloops at 100% (822 vs 728 LUX)! Since I know nothing about 10440's, I thought I would ask for advice on what brand to get, what charger works well with them, and where to buy them. Is protected and unprotected an issue, with either the batteries or the programing of the light?

Also, I put a strip of electrical tape over the inside metal piece of the tailcap to keep it from turning, as it seems like it could open otherwise. I am just looping an attached strap through a belt buckle and letting the flashlight hang in my pocket. Anyone have a better solution for secure EDC so the light won't get scratched up by keys?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the 10440's in mine. I don't use the higher voltage cells to get higher output but use it typically at the 15% and occasionally 50% default settings. The light is a little brighter on these settings than with a stadard 1.2 - 1.5 volt cell. The believe the circuit operates just a bit more efficient at the higher voltage as it does not have to work to increase 1.5 volts to the 3.6 required by the emitter.

The 10440's also have very low self discharge which is a benefit. I just bought the nano charge. It is very small and compact and pretty cool in itself. They are around 7 to 8 bucks at most places here. The LF2X and the Nano charger are a nice combo.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I regularly use 10440's in my two LF2 lights (an SSC and an X) and I bought the package comprising two cells and a Nano charger from AW on CPFM for $15 shipped.

Of course because the cells are unprotected you have to switch on the protection built in in the light (SWx8, etc.).

Patriot

Flashaholic
I thought that 10440s were a "no no" in the LF2. Did something change to allow them to work? It was one of the main reasons that I didn't purchase one.

Patriot

Flashaholic
You might be thinking of the Fenix LOD. The Liteflux LF2(x) is fully supported for 10440's.

I'm familiar with the 10440 and LOD series as I use them in all my LOD's except the rebel. I guess I was mistaken about the LF2. I'll have to go figure out why I thought that....:thinking:

Thanks

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm familiar with the 10440 and LOD series as I use them in all my LOD's except the rebel. I guess I was mistaken about the LF2. I'll have to go figure out why I thought that....:thinking:

Thanks

careful, dont go putting 10440s in your LF2s ...i know for a fact that the LF2X is meant to be used with 10440s, in fact, you get the most efficient usage with 10440s. accordingly, 60% on 10440s= 100% on alks/enloops.

i dont know about the LF2s though.

the LF2X in max on 10440s is one heck of a scorcher...anyone want beamshots? i have a whole thread on it...:naughty:

Crenshaw

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
careful, dont go putting 10440s in your LF2s ...i know for a fact that the LF2X is meant to be used with 10440s, in fact, you get the most efficient usage with 10440s. accordingly, 60% on 10440s= 100% on alks/enloops.

i dont know about the LF2s though.

From the LF2 User's Manual:

Introduction :
There are 4 models of LiteFlux Beacon serials flashlights : LF2 – using 1AAA or 10440 Li-Ion
batteries , LF3 – using CR123A or RCR123 or 16340 Li-Ion batteries , LF4 - using CR2 or RCR2
or 15260 Li-Ion batteries , LF5 – using 1AA or 14500 Li-Ion batteries ;

All flashlights of this LF series have been designed for Li-ion batteries. :)

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I regularly use 10440's in my two LF2 lights (an SSC and an X) and I bought the package comprising two cells and a Nano charger from AW on CPFM for $15 shipped.

Of course because the cells are unprotected you have to switch on the protection built in in the light (SWx8, etc.).

OK, thanks, guess I will have to learn to program this thing after all.

After turning on the protection in the LF2X for the 10440s, will I later have to turn off protection if I want to put an alkaline, eneloop or Energizer lithium AAA in?

rotototo

Newly Enlightened
OK, thanks, guess I will have to learn to program this thing after all.

After turning on the protection in the LF2X for the 10440s, will I later have to turn off protection if I want to put an alkaline, eneloop or Energizer lithium AAA in?

Yes and no - the protection is recommended for eneloops (cuts off at 0.8v), but if you leave protection on, it'll cut off for the other two chemistries as well, even though they can handle it (to a point).

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes and no - the protection is recommended for eneloops (cuts off at 0.8v), but if you leave protection on, it'll cut off for the other two chemistries as well, even though they can handle it (to a point).

I agree. It is true that if you leave the protection on you don't squeeze all the juice from some type of batteries but IMO it is not worth the hassle of switching it on/off and most of all to keep on checking whether it is in the right setting for Li-ion's when using them. I just keep it on.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened

I ordered the Nano charger and 10440 batteries from AW, he just sent an email saying they were on the way.

Once I figure out how to program the LF2X (the flow charts are microscopic in the instructions), I'll just leave the protection on all the time. :thanks:

pyromaniac

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have a better solution for secure EDC so the light won't get scratched up by keys?
With this custom made clip you can use a strap and clip it to your pocket at once.
Also it uses the tighter screw-on cap. In addition there is a single loop.
bild118dp8.jpg
bild128cx4.jpg

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
With this custom made clip you can use a strap and clip it to your pocket at once.
Also it uses the tighter screw-on cap. In addition there is a single loop.
bild128cx4.jpg

i like that one, where did you get it? or you made it yourself?

Crenshaw

Latest posts