Batteries for LOD Q4

hazna

Enlightened
I just got the LOD Q4, and wondering about whether to invest in 10440 batteries. I've got quite a few questions about it before deciding.
1. From my general reading, 10440 on medium will give u the same brightness as the an alkaline/NiMH on high? Is this roughly right?
2. Is it safe to run 10440 on high in the LOD Q4?
3. What are the run times like on 10440, will the 10440 last longer than NiMH or Alkalines
4. I've ready 10440 batteries only come 'unprotected'. What sort of precautions do u need to take with them?

Thanks, appreciate any help :)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that using 10440s voids warranty.
Some guys on this forum have still used them certainly though.
I can't answer anything else but others here will.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I just got the LOD Q4, and wondering about whether to invest in 10440 batteries. I've got quite a few questions about it before deciding.
1. From my general reading, 10440 on medium will give u the same brightness as the an alkaline/NiMH on high? Is this roughly right?
3. What are the run times like on 10440, will the 10440 last longer than NiMH or Alkalines
4. I've ready 10440 batteries only come 'unprotected'. What sort of precautions do u need to take with them?

Thanks, appreciate any help :)

10440 on medium is brighter than AAs on high. I tested it last night. One thing though, I charged two 10440s....one to 4.16V and the other to about 4.06V. The one with 4.16V flickers in my L0D Q4 on all levels. The other one didn't.

From reading a few threads about using 10440 in an L0D, you'll find that it's mostly safe unless you run on max for a long time.

From my understanding of unprotected batteries.....you'll need to make sure that the batteries don't discharge to a certain point. So I'd charge the batteries after a few days of normal usage just to top it up often.

easilyled

Flashaholic

I would say 10440 on medium is brighter than on NiMH (Eneloop) on high.
10440 on low is more equivalent

Only for a limited burst. I wouldn't keep it on high for more than about
30 seconds at a time. The lack of surface area of the Aluminium on such
a small light is unable to adquately draw the head away at this setting.

This is not straightforward to answer because of the different levels.

On high, the 10440 would direct drive the led rather than run it at
the same current the driver supplies to the led on high for an alkaline
or NiMH battery so a comparison is not really valid. The lumen output
will be extremely high initially but drop very quickly. In any case it
shouldn't be left at this level for long as mentioned in point 1.

On medium and low, I would guess the 10440 would last about half to
three-quarters of the runtime.

Not to overcharge them or discharge them....

So take them out of the charger as soon as it indicates that they
are charged rather than leaving them in the charger. (Stay in the house
while they are being charged and check at regular intervals)

Keep charging them up regularly, especially if you are using the lod regularly

hazna

Enlightened
so initally the 10440 will be very bright but will drop off pretty quickly? (As compared to NiMH)

with the 10440 on low in the LODQ4, will i at least get a couple of hours usage out of it? Roughly how long will it last on high?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running your L0d with 10440 will give you very bright light ... but in my opinion, you'll lose the utility function of the light since the runtime is not that great. I've been using my L0d with Eneloops for as long as I had it.

merlocka

Enlightened
IIRC chevrofreak did runtime plots of the LOD CE on 10440, which came out to be about 10min/60min/120min (H/M/L). Not sure if he had any active cooling. In comparison, a NiMH was about 60/120/300min (H/M/L), and obviously at much lower output levels.

Do a search for Chevrofreak, I believe all of his runtime charts are linked in his sig.

The LOD CE on 10440 is a bit of a novelty. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing to have that much light in that small a package for that price. But always keep in mind that your discharging that 10440 at 6C rate. I haven't had an issue, and haven't read about anyone else having an issue... but it's something to be aware (and wary) of.

alibaba

Enlightened
IIRC chevrofreak did runtime plots of the LOD CE on 10440, which came out to be about 10min/60min/120min (H/M/L). Not sure if he had any active cooling. In comparison, a NiMH was about 60/120/300min (H/M/L), and obviously at much lower output levels.

Do a search for Chevrofreak, I believe all of his runtime charts are linked in his sig.

The LOD CE on 10440 is a bit of a novelty. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing to have that much light in that small a package for that price. But always keep in mind that your discharging that 10440 at 6C rate. I haven't had an issue, and haven't read about anyone else having an issue... but it's something to be aware (and wary) of.

Here: http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/Fenix L0D CE/

I didn't get anywhere close to that with mine though, on medium it dimmed to around half after like 15-20 min. If I let it rest it'd come back up for a minute or two (kinda sound like alkys!). These were new 10440's from DX that have never been over-discharged. I've given up on 10440 as, like another poster said, you give up the actual utility (vs. the wow-factor utiility) of this fine light. Stick to NiMH's or lithium primaries and you'll be much happier

Last edited:

hazna

Enlightened
hmmm... sounds like the runtime with 10440 batteries just don't cut it. Does anyone know the run time on lithium primaries and any places where u can get them cheap?

(edit: nevermind about the runtimes... just noticed chevrofreak's runtime charts already has lithium primaries plotted)

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Running it on a 10440 will cook the LED and the cell, both. It will be a toss-up which one will be the first to turn an interesting brown color just before it dies.

alibaba

Enlightened
hmmm... sounds like the runtime with 10440 batteries just don't cut it. Does anyone know the run time on lithium primaries and any places where u can get them cheap?

(edit: nevermind about the runtimes... just noticed chevrofreak's runtime charts already has lithium primaries plotted)

I get my primaries on Ebay. There are people selling 5 packs of four each for $24.99 and they are always fresh. A quick search will bring up a bunch of 'em

Wattnot

Enlightened
I'm using Eneloops and love them. The light is plenty bright and the runtime is excellent.

I have no intention of using the 10440. It's unprotected, terrible runtime and not recommended.

There are at least two recent threads about people having strange problems with their LOD. It's kind of funny because if you look in them the common factor is they're all using the 10440.

The light is fantastic as it is with nimh batteries. I would avoid alkalines because the output is unimpressive and they just won't DIE!