Videos: How to solder properly

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I found some videos about how to solder using a soldering iron, and thinking it may benefit the rest of the CPF community wanted to share them.

This has general tips on what to do to make good solder joints on a PCB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dkragEKSKI

This is a tutorial about how to solder 2 pieces of wire, I didn't like the way he flicks the solder off the tip, use the sponge instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLfXXRfRIzY

This one shows correct and incorrect ways to solder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

HTH
AlexGT

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are good, especially the one with the examples of bad joints.

With my Weller WP35 and Radioshack eutectic solder and any flux, I don't get cold joints. Even with unheated parts, the solder flows right in.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh
I have access to my dad's Weller WTCP iron (heat/magnetic switched)
The tips are coated, etc
STILL can't do joint to joint cleanly

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I would really want to see on video is someone experienced solder wires to a Cree led. Can someone please do this for the community?

Thanks!
AlexGT

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean like this?
2m4c1w0.jpg

I'll try to take a vid with my crappy cam later. Others please do try it too.

turbodog

Flashaholic
One MAJOR thing not mentioned is that the new non-lead-containing solders have a noticably higher melting point. They are a good bit harder to use.

If you're new, use tin/lead solder and wash your hands before eating.

turbodog

Flashaholic
In the second video, he uses a pretty crummy weller iron. It's got an uncoated tip. These tips will oxidize QUICKLY (sometimes within minutes). They then require cleaning/tinning before they will work well.

On the other hand, weller makes a coated/plated tip. These are excellent. I have been using the same weller iron and original tip since about 1992. There have been many times that I forgot and left it turned on for several days just sitting there (out in the workshop). The tip never suffered any damage.

Lesson: use plated tips.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Video #3 at 6:11 shows what a coated tips looks like.

Also, soldering large wires (or anything large) takes a slightly different technique. Sometimes you need to tin (heat and apply a coating of solder) the objects. Let each cool down (to avoid overheating), then go for it.

I used to solder professionally for a living.....

We soldered anything from 30 gauge wire to multi strands of 000 (triple aught).

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Koala! That Cree soldering job is amazingly good! :wow::bow::bow::bow:

Please share how you do it.

AlexGT

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
Also, soldering large wires (or anything large) takes a slightly different technique. Sometimes you need to tin (heat and apply a coating of solder) the objects. Let each cool down (to avoid overheating), then go for it.

Thanks for the tip! :)

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, firstly please turn off your speakers otherwise you will hear fan noise, me breathing and etc. Sorry I forgot to turn off the mic. I've added captions for each steps.

I am not a very good director, narrator nor a actor so please excuse the poor filming quality. I was sitting behind the camera it was an comfortable position and I couldn't solder normally. I did my best to show how to attach a wire to a Cree emitter. However, I don't think I did a good job.

In this video I used a slightly thicker(24AWG) wire. A smaller diameter wire than the solder pad will be ideal size. I used a 30AWG wire in the pictures I posted above, which is too thin for very high current.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSxmPGt353I