AVG Virus software Version 8 and T-Bird Mail

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I don't know if it's proper to post this so moderators please take any appropriate action. I'll check back in a couple hours.

I decided I should get new virus protection since mine was waaaayyy expired and I"m too cheap (read broke) to buy more.
I loaded AVG Free 8 and it seems to work fine. It did find some spyware and the like. HOWEVER, it has an unadvertised feature. It deleted all the messages in my inbox. I"m running Mozilla Thunderbird version 2.0.0.14 (20080421). There is no way to recover them.. gone forever. I got on their help forum (which has incorrect instructions on how to register) and eventually found this is an ongoing issue. THEY ALREADY KNEW ABOUT IT AND DIDN'T POST A "KNOWN PROBLEMS" SECTION on the download site. I had mail from 1998 and three generations of computers ago in that inbox. It's partly my fault for not backing it up regularly but I've never had any problems before this.

I just wanted everyone to know. There are people here that don't always follow the mainstream so they could be using Thunderbird instead of an MS mail client.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I don't use AVG but do use Thunderbird. I guess as a general precaution, I need to find out how to back up my Thunderbird mailboxes.

jchoo

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up. I use AVG and Thunderbird both, but I only check my gmail accounts through it - and those are archived on Google's servers.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just the in box or all mailboxes ?

I've been in the habit of moving all new mail to either trash or a "save'' mailbox and leaving the "in" box empty.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
interestingly enough, I've been sorting the mail by giving my friends and business contacts they're own subfolder. For some reason, it didn't touch them.

It also ate my bookmarks in FireFox. Did I mention I'm a little upset? LOL

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes.

Is Avast antivirus still around? I far preferred it over AVG when I was on Windows.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
don t keep emails on your machine... here is what you do.
Get a gmail account (6 GB of mail) then connect to it through imap with thunderbird. All your sent emails whether gmail or other accounts are saved in your gmail folder, or just bcc the email into a special folder on Gmail (with a filter).
Then never again worry about emails....

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
don t keep emails on your machine... here is what you do.
Get a gmail account (6 GB of mail) then connect to it through imap with thunderbird. All your sent emails whether gmail or other accounts are saved in your gmail folder, or just bcc the email into a special folder on Gmail (with a filter).
Then never again worry about emails....

Until THEIR server has an infarction....
I have a primal aversion to storing my personal stuff on somebody else's machine..........