Firefox 3.0 questions

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I've been a huge supporter of Firefox since the beginning, made my family switch...;)

With the beta versions and now the actual version of Firefox 3.0
Alphabetical bookmarks command not saving.

** Edit: minor issue resolved,...still the best!!

Thanks Mozilla and Firefox crew!!

Last edited:

Aluminous

Enlightened
I've been a huge supporter of Firefox since the beginning, made my family switch...;)

** with the beta versions and now the actual version of Firefox 3.0
I can't seem to figure out how to Alphabetize my bookmarks.**

If I can't have Alphabetical bookmarks, it is of no use to me as a browser...not really interested in 3rd party apps. or Add-Ons.

thanks.

I'm still using v2, but I'll ask the obvious: have you tried right-clicking in the bookmarks list and selecting "Sort By Name"? or has that been removed in v3?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still using v2, but I'll ask the obvious: have you tried right-clicking in the bookmarks list and selecting "Sort By Name"? or has that been removed in v3?

Yep, Sort by Name and then A~Z was a no-go for me.
I tried it every possible way.... :scowl:

The most important aspect of Firefox should not be a tricky deal,...any thoughts in using the { about:config } function??

Aluminous

Enlightened
Yep, Sort by Name and then A~Z was a no-go for me.
I tried it every possible way.... :scowl:

The most important aspect of Firefox should not be a tricky deal,...any thoughts in using the { about:config } function??

So it sounds like the actual problem is that the function is supposed to still be there (it's not that you 'couldn't figure it out'), but it's just not working right! That would be a bug which ought to be fixed by the Mozilla people.

One more suggestion: instead of doing the sort from within the normal bookmarks menu, try opening the "Organize Bookmarks" screen and doing the sort from in there.

I doubt that anything in about:config would help with this, and I'm not currently aware of anything that would, but it could be possible.

The bookmarks are stored in one big nested HTML file, instead of as individual files in actual folders like MS Internet Explorer does with its bookmarks.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it sounds like the actual problem is that the function is supposed to still be there (it's not that you 'couldn't figure it out'), but it's just not working right! That would be a bug which ought to be fixed by the Mozilla people.

One more suggestion: instead of doing the sort from within the normal bookmarks menu, try opening the "Organize Bookmarks" screen and doing the sort from in there.

I doubt that anything in about:config would help with this, and I'm not currently aware of anything that would, but it could be possible.

The bookmarks are stored in one big nested HTML file, instead of as individual files in actual folders like MS Internet Explorer does with its bookmarks.

+

I was using the 'Organize Bookmarks' screen and its options.

~ Went back to 2.0.0.14

o0o

Enlightened
Its working for me.

There may be several ways to do this, perhaps some of the ways work and some don't.

Here is how I did it:

Bookmarks | (navigate to the folder I want sorted) | Right-click | Sort by Name

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks, Views, Sort, A>Z sort Works fine in Firefox 3.0.0

+

That is the sequence I used and it would not keep,
after exiting,
bookmarks would be Unsorted....& No automatic Alphabetical order.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is today the day Firefox wanted to set the Guinness book of world record for the most downloads? They must be succeeding because I can't access the Mozilla web site to download Firefox 3.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Organize bookmarks > Sort By Name works just fine for me.

Yes today is download day for firefox. I've downloaded successfully a few times on various computers now so just keep trying. :nana:

So far I'm liking it. Definitely feels "snappier" in loading pages, going back and forward, using multiple tabs, etc.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

There could be an outside chance I got incomplete code today with all the download craziness.
I also lost all my bookmarks in the process, they were not in any folder.
Wondering if a bit of a beta version created some issue?

I just redownloaded and the few new bookmarks I created in FF2 are there and everything is A-OK...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is that I updated to 3.0 and now it crashes like crazy when I try to visit various sites. I miss the stability...Might switch back to 2.0.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Is today the day Firefox wanted to set the Guinness book of world record for the most downloads? They must be succeeding because I can't access the Mozilla web site to download Firefox 3.

Try a link through slashdot. I just did it about 5 min ago, and like it! Definitely snappier! Really clean install and NoScript was seamlessly included. Bookmarks looked funny until I expanded them, and they were all there. (A few hundred.)

Larry

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since everyone else seemse to have it running decently, any advice on what might be causing it quit as it loads a page?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the speed of FF 3.0, then you will love K-Meleon 1.5. Opera 9.50 is faster still. This is including FF compiled for your processor w/ PGO and chrome hacked.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some answers for folks are found here in "Known Issues"...

Thanks, starting it in its own safe mode has revealed flawless performance, meaning one of the plug-ins / add ons is at fault. Most likely a theme, as soon as I added different one (suitable for ff3) it crashed.