Selling precious metals

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where would you go to sell precious metals like gold,silver or platinum? I have found several places but it involves sending the metal to them and trusting them to be square. Has anyone done that here?I have about 5lbs of silver and 2.6 troy ounces of platinum to sell. I did not realize platinum was so high!
C

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never done it, but where real money was involved, I think I'd go find a brick and mortar place where I could carry it in and meet someone face to face...

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some pawn shops will give you a fair price but you need to ask in advance. Some will try to give you a much reduced price and it is not worth it. Also You should check with scrap yards and a extensive look in the yellow pages. There once was a coin dealer in our area that would also buy precious metals although I think he's gone now. We have a local Jewelrey store that buys and sells old rings and necklaces and will also give a fair price on precious metals. There may just be someone closer than you think, you just need to ask around.

If all else fails ask your local "reputable" stock brokers, they may be able to sell it or send you in the right direction.

Good Luck

Bill

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Take a look in your yellow pages under "Precious Metals" or "Coin Dealers" & give them a call.

Our phone book has them listed under "Gold, Silver, & Platinum Dealers".

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had reliable and fair service from onlygold.com. Once you call them for a quote on your metals, they'll give you a price which is "locked in." Once the price is settled, you mail the metals in, and get the price they quoted (assuming what you send is what they actually quoted for) no matter how the price swings while the metal is in transit.

They also offer various other types of commodities funds where you can invest in commodities without having to take possession of it physically.

Phredd

Enlightened
I would also recommend California Numismatic (golddealer.com) as a dealer with an impeccable reputation. You would send the platinum by registered mail. It might be more cost effective to sell the silver locally.

Phredd

Enlightened
why sell when gold and silver are at all time lows?
everyone is buying now, CNI is sold out of nearly everything..

http://www.golddealer.com/bullionpage.html

If everyone was buying, gold would be at an all-time high. It's not even at a 52-week low which was around $650. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy, but considering the direction the dollar has been going, gold could still go down. The lack of immediate supply doesn't seem to be driving up the price. Kitco is still taking orders guaranteed at current prices.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ebay.

Pawn shops will absolutely rape you, as in spot - 20%.

You might get real close to spot in some coin shops. I have never gotten spot anywhere in B&M.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now is the time to buy, however.

Or it may go down some more.

Sell only if you must. I know the feeling. I was forced to sell at 300+/oz maybe 5 years ago and I knew it would double shortly.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well Phredd maybe not an ALL time low, but lower than it's been in several months, that's why so many people are buying..why is CNI sold out? or are they just holding out till the price goes back up?
there are several companies that buy gold from the government manufacturers. (you could be a gold dealer too, you need just 50 million dollars in assets and a great reputation, sometimes there's a lull in manufacture -- remember the silver 'shortage' a few months ago? then it went up again, nearly double what it is now, if you could get it..think it could happen again?

people do make money using this up and down motion...not my cup of tea, but in the long run I think gold will appreciate to say the least..
self-assaying, easily recognizable US bullion is what to get.