Military Aircraft, Gotta love e'm

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Military Aircraft, Gotta love e\'m

I am approaching 600 post here and this will be the first post I've started about military aircraft. I have been tempted many times but held back. If there is something I love more than torches and hunting it's military aircraft. I like the WWII stuff and I like the newest gen. They are all amazing a fun to watch. In Pensacola they have the National Museum of Naval Aviation. I think it's better than the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, of course I am biased but so what.

I started watching F-4's as a child in Austin Texas. Our home was on the app. path to Bergstrom AFB. During the late 60's I remember seeing groups of Phantoms, sometimes as many as 18 flying in formation. Some days they would come by at 3,000-4,000 feet going supersonic. An occasional window would break but no one complained, it was the price of freedom. My Dad would take me out to the field and we would sit on the side of the road watching them takeoff and land. We had some kids in my elementary school who's Dads were F-4 pilots and POW's. Everyone wore a POW bracelet.

Many years later in college I would go out to another AFB and watch the F-4's and F-16's based there come and go. I liked to study while sitting outside the fence in a lawn chair. I got to where I could identify about 10 different types of Military aircraft during their app. at long distances just by their landing light.

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to have ridden in the following military aircraft during my time in the service. It was a dream come true.

AH-1, CH-46, CH-53, T-34, T-2, T-47, A-4, TC-4C, A-6E, C-130, KC-10, F-16, KC-135, T-39, C-12, C-9.

I never got my F-4 ride and it's the only other aircraft I was really dying to get into. I have a 100+ stories from those days and I still look up when I hear the sound.

I liked all the aircraft I flew in except for the C-130. I have way to many hours in that sky pig to say it was fun. I took off at midnight one time for a 11 hour flight. It was pouring rain when we loaded and I got soaked to the bone before boarding. I had been up since 5AM and I was beat. After we were airborne I jumped on top of a pallet to grab some sleep. The plane was very hot inside, I would guess about 120 degrees. I finally fell asleep and was awakened two hours later with violent shivering. It was now about 40 degrees and I was still wet. The climate control system is hot or cold, no in-between. It is comfortable for about 5 minutes during the cycle but other than that it's miserably hot or cold. The next day when we landed in Wake Island the CO took one look at me and said, "You can't fly the A-6 today, you look like death warmed over." So, I had to get right back on the C-130 from hell and fly another 8-10 hours to Hawaii. My buddies, flew to Hawaii at twice the speed and set the temp. where they wanted it.

I have lost friends to flying but I gained friendship from some of the greatest guys you could ever want to meet. If any of our young members have a desire to fly in the military I would be happy to help and must say it's it could very well be the greatest time of your life in so many ways.

DD

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Military Aircraft, Gotta love e\'m

Next best thing to flying em' ---> launching, recovering, and maintaining them!!

ygbsm

Enlightened

DD -- great post. I've always been a sucker for a good "there I was" story.

If I remember right, Bergstrom had quite a Phantom history, ending with RF-4Cs from the 67th TRW "BA". Those RF-4s used to fly "50 feet at the speed of heat" in the days when low-level was the way to go. I know there was a Recce Air Meet "RAM" there at Bergstrom where all the RF-4 units from Spang in Germany to the "High Rollers" from Reno would meet and compete "alone, unarmed and unafraid". Now, no more Bergstrom AFB. I think they had an AFRES Viper unit there also. An 18 ship formation of F-4s is a big smoky whistling gorilla. Where I grew up, there was the Recce Weapons School also flying RF-4Cs. The guys in the ANG (or as some would have it FANG) unit there also flew the RF-4C and racked up their share of combat hours in the first Gulf War and then flying F-4Gs and A-10As over Iraq and in the Kosovo campaign, Operation Northern Watch and in this Gulf War.

The C-130, I've been told, is great for inducing chain-reaction vomiting on low-level rides.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great story Dave,

A few years ago I was at a local airshow and there were many WWII aircraft. A curtis P-40 warhawk, a P-51D mustang, P-47 thunderbolt, Mitsubishi Zero and a spitfire. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen. After awhile they began to fly home, but before they left, they did a mock up dogfight. AWESOME! I will never forget it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Kev

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Never been in any fighter aircraft- I always wanted to have a P-51 though. I think that is the coolest plane ever built.

I kind of like C-130s- Only had one really bad ride in one: about 18 hours and we were crammed in so tight that no one could move without kicking or elbowing the guys next to you or across from you.

I was never so glad to "hit the silk" in my life.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

WWII planes...anyone been to the RENO Air Races? I went in 1991, AWESOME!!

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

Dave - great story... a great reason to come to the Cafe for some outstanding reading. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jim

ygbsm

Enlightened

Unlimiteds at Reno -- I'd really like to see and hear that someday!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

great story dave. thanks for your service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

They had a couple of EA-6B Prowlers from Whidbey Island NAS fly over Seattle today - I later found out it was for the Mariners; it was "Military Night" at Safeco Field early this evening. We usually don't get flyovers by jets like this except for the Blue Angels in early August each year, so I was a bit surprised when the two Prowlers flew over Seattle with their engines at high output.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

[ QUOTE ]
ygbsm said:
Unlimiteds at Reno -- I'd really like to see and hear that someday!

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
"The Ultimate Race!!" My sister/brother in-laws live right next to Stead Field...you can sit in the backyard and watch, though we had to be "part of it". We all took bikes, got pit passes...got right in close!!

Tomas

Banned

Well, I'm a bit of a military aircraft bug, also, and have to say that I have one flight in an F-4D from Phu Cat AB, RVN to Danang in '69 (return trip in the usual DeHavilland C-7A "Caribou").

The Phantom flight was a simple ferry flight for some brake retrofit work at Danang for one of our birds. We also had the venerable F-100, and the usual assortment of gunships and choppers attached to Phu Cat. (Just checked, and some of my Phu Cat pics are still on-line at the 12TFW site (in fact, that's me peering out of the "Photo 3" truck in the last pic ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif )

Most of my USAF time was spent working on B-52F's, and they are an amazing bird to fly in - one of the USAF's few ornithopters ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (BTW, you want a REAL big smokey whistling gorilla, you ought to see a double wing of 36 B-52's launch! Those 288 jet engines WILL get your attention from MANY miles away (and from a maint truck on the end of the active, it can really get you worked up in spite of the smoke and fumes - uh, or may in part BECAUSE of the smoke and fumes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Uh, think I need to go sniff some kerosene for awhile ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tomsig03.gif

(52's carry quite a load - here's a typical non-nuke load-out ... )

B52_load.jpg

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

I've never gotten to ride in a Military A/C. I've just gotten to drool along with the rest, with a few rare times where I've actually gotten to "touch"

One of my touch stories is kinda funny.

Back when I was in college, I worked for a company that made and/or installed overhead "bridge" crane systems

We had JUST finished installing a crane system in Grumman Bethpage Hanger 1. There was a little F-14 work going on, but at the time, that hanger was doing mostly E2-C work

As we're getting ready to leave, they pick up the back half of the fuselage of the E2 and are going to mate it with the front half. Now mind you, the system we just put in had a 16 speed control system plus a creap feature. Well the guy on the controls starts to abuse the crane jogging the controls when the two haves were about 5 feet from each other. My foreman says, "Let us show you how to do it"

He grabs the control box, and I get to act as his guide. We did in about 30 seconds what would have taken then about 20 minutes - we closed the 5 feet, and mated the 2 halves, complete with rivet hole line up (yes the the put the pins in!) in one pass, with no jogging, and almost no words spoken, just a few hand signals

The gang from Grumman were impressed

They were good at building aircraft - we were good at building and running cranes

Hemingray

Enlightened

My one ride in a Military A/C was from Da Nang to Bien Hoa AFB, in April 1971, in a C-123. Very smooth flight, we were up around 20K Ft. ASL, explained as being out of range of most AA fire and small arms. Hardly felt the landing, the pilot was good.

I don't suppose that a few flights around 1965 in a Bahamas Airways converted C-47 (DC-3) count this time around. Those were interesting flights to and from Nassau to Inagua island, and Eleuthra. 99% of the flight was over water, and sometimes they were around 8000 feet up, and a couple flights, real close to the surface.

Have been inside a Cobra gunship, not to fly, but to pull the bad radio out and install a good one, somewhere i have a couple pics of me in the front seat, while it was on the ground. Couldn't convince the pilot to give me a quick flight.

/ed B in NH

Kiessling

Flashaholic

the one and only most beautiful aircraft ever made is the

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

a legend. I love it.
thanx Dave for bringing this up so that I finally could cry this out ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernhard

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I never saw an SR-71 take-off or land. I am told it's quite impressive with the wings leaking fuel and sheer power during takeoff.

I have seen a TR-1 takeoff and land a few times. The security on one of those is impressive, probably similar to the SR-71. I couldn't get any closer than about 50 yards and I had a TS clearance. For a single engine, straight winged aircraft that joker can flat out climb. Landing is even more interesting to watch but I don't know if it's classified so I will shut up about that. Our former imagery guys have probably seen it's handiwork but they can't say all that much about that either.

Tomas

Banned

Heck, there's still stuff about the SR-71B that I probably can't talk about, Dave, that's been over thirty years. *sigh*

I can still recall one of the first classes I had after getting my TS about some of the sensors on the '71. The instructor showed us a really decent B&W overhead and asked if there was anything "odd" we noticed about it. The only thing we could come up with was faint scan lines like on a TV set.

Then he told us it was taken from some unbelievable classsified altitude at night, and introduced us to the Blackbird. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (One had to wear ear protection around that sensor if it was operating: It screamed like a banshee.)

That was also my first introduction to cryogenics.

I only ever touched one live Blackbird while in the USAF, though, and that one only because it had to make an emergency landing at the SAC base I was assigned to (in 1968).

That poor thing had more Air Police around it than a nuke loaded '52, and was shuttled off to a closed hanger as quickly as possible.

Beautiful bird, but one I understand could be a real, uh, handful for the pilot.

tomsig03.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Re: The Blackbird

One of my friends was a crew cheif on a KC-135Q - the Q was the version that refuels the SR-71. You should hear his stories

Charlie

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the late 60's and early 70's we kids knew when there was an alert on because, as the B-52's taxied around at night, the squeal of their brakes could be heard for many miles. One thing we used to like to do was go to the private cattle field at the end of the runway. We would lie on our backs and stare straight up and wait for the bombers to take flight. The sound of eight turbines would throttle us. After they had passed, you could hear the air above you whipping itself like so many flags. I guess I should have put that in the "Sounds of Freedom" thread. I've seen groups of three B-52s for 9 or 12 and once 18 but never 36. Man, I would have liked to have seen that.

Tomas -

That was SAC, Barksdale AFB. Also, I truly enjoyed your site.

kiessling, Tomas, DieselDave and KC2IXE -

The only time I got to see an SR-71 in flight was, while fishing, one made an "unscheduled" landing. It's path was over the lake I was on. It was full tilt and very slow. Beautiful.

I think they are the best looking machine ever built by mankind. These are a couple of Google pics.
photo_sr-71.jpg

sr-71image7.jpg

LED-FX

Enlightened

Yup, the Blackbird is pretty but my personal favourite is the Vulcan, last of the V -Bombers.

If your ever in the UK the place to visit is Duxford Air Museum. Got one of just about everything, Vulcan, Concorde you can walk through, guess a few mueums will have one of these soon :-(. Lancaster, Vampire and on and on from British collection and the U.S air collection, B52, B29 , U2 and SR71 plus tanks and military vehicles.

Not just a dead museum either, lot of them fly and lot of ongoing restorations going on around the place:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/

Adam