TK11 smooth reflector- why?

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
Why have fenix gone for a smooth reflector? The TK10 had enough throw with the op and a bit of side spill. Why change a good formula?

Also is it possible to change the reflector for one with a OP texture?

lightknight

Newly Enlightened
Why have fenix gone for a smooth reflector? The TK10 had enough throw with the op and a bit of side spill. Why change a good formula?

Also is it possible to change the reflector for one with a OP texture?

Bought a P2D Q5 a few days ago. Took the OP because so many people here prefer it. Now I am totally disappointed. Even my P1D CE throws better with smooth reflector and my P3D Q5 literally blows it away. If you use a light other than for white wall hunting at very short distances smooth is the better choice!

SilentK

Enlightened
Smooth gives better throw. i myself perfer smoth for most applications, but textured is just great for leds. i think it would be good if when you ordered you had an option for a reflector, and could buy other reflectors. it would be perfect if they had a light, light orange peel.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if it is possible to change the reflector, but if its like the T1/TK11 as I think it is, it will be very difficult...

Fenix does not offer a proper thrower and I imagine that some people would like a light that can compete with Dereelights, Tiablos etc. However the TK11s throw may still be the same as the T1 with the smooth reflector.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smooth gives better throw. i myself perfer smoth for most applications, but textured is just great for leds. i think it would be good if when you ordered you had an option for a reflector, and could buy other reflectors. it would be perfect if they had a light, light orange peel.
I agree that having an option of reflector types would be nice. Either heavily textured or smooth.

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
The TK10 was hardly shoddy though when it came to throw and it had enough spill to make it a good all round duty light. The probablt lack of spill of the TK11 will make the TK11 less useful.

SilentK

Enlightened
I am interested to see what kind of beam thins thing spits out. it would be great if it was like a maxabeam or something :grin2: it would be great if the 60 lumens had a floody beam and the 225 lumens was like a laser.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a P2D Q5 a few days ago. Took the OP because so many people here prefer it. Now I am totally disappointed. Even my P1D CE throws better with smooth reflector and my P3D Q5 literally blows it away. If you use a light other than for white wall hunting at very short distances smooth is the better choice!
The two L2Ds I owned had identical beams even though one was OP and the other smooth.

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
Will it be good to have a combination of textured and smooth reflector? textured near the LED area while the rest is smooth.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK10 was hardly shoddy though when it came to throw...
New to high powered flashlights, I presume :) ? The throw of the TK10 was and still is disappointing to those of us requiring illumination at a distance in the 2xCR123A form factor. An LAPD friend of mine wanted a light to penetrate 5% tint from a car length away. The OP beam of the TK10 was not up to the task.

Last edited:

cat

Enlightened
Yes, good point.
What did your friend end up using? - Or is it still to be sorted out?
Would the Dereelight DBS do that well enough? (My guess is that it would do better but still not be enough.)
What I've been looking at is what will penetrate through a metal paling fence into thick green bush at about one to two cars length away. My WE Storm doesn't do it as well as my G3 with HO-9, it sort of reflects off the metal fence more.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am excited about the smooth reflector. I like the T1, but could use more throw.
I would like Fenix to make a proper thrower with a large (ideally replaceable) reflector like a Dereelight. It could have the same body and internals as the TK11 but with a proper throwing head and reflector.
Maybe they are on to someting like this...

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did your friend end up using? - Or is it still to be sorted out?
Primary will be an M4 bored for Pila 600P cells powering the 1111 through a second run FM bi-pin holder. We felt this was an excellent compromise between size, durability, power and tint cutting ability. The shock isolated bezel functions well with the 1111, the set screw in the second run holder gives us greater confidence in the setup. Extra cells in a holster and an IBC in the squad car supplements power requirements. Backup will likely be a CL1H V4 1S SMO for simplicity. Once we have one in hand, we can determine which size SureFire filter should be installed to provide for greater versatility.

VolumeRate

Newly Enlightened

yes, this is a good idea. maybe for coming flashlight, we can do this. we will put this into to-do list.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. VolumeRate: Do you represent the manufacturer of the T series of Fenix lights :) ?

VolumeRate

Newly Enlightened
well, we are not represent Fenix, but somewhat we can get very low price of the Fenix flashlight, much lower than the market price, so if you are interested, you might contact us? :oops::sssh:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, we are not represent Fenix, but somewhat we can get very low price of the Fenix flashlight, much lower than the market price, so if you are interested, you might contact us? :oops::sssh:
VolumeRate = DealExtreme. See the DX logo on their site.

cat

Enlightened
Primary will be an M4 bored for Pila 600P cells powering the 1111 through a second run FM bi-pin holder. We felt this was an excellent compromise between size, durability, power and tint cutting ability. The shock isolated bezel functions well with the 1111, the set screw in the second run holder gives us greater confidence in the setup. Extra cells in a holster and an IBC in the squad car supplements power requirements. Backup will likely be a CL1H V4 1S SMO for simplicity. Once we have one in hand, we can determine which size SureFire filter should be installed to provide for greater versatility.

Good! I like it.
[Sorry for the off-topic, everyone.] :D