best battery for L1D Q5

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes, Eneloops will be brighter and have a longer runtime than alkaline cells. Highly recommended.

14500 cells are lithium-ion which are the same size as AA cells, but are 3.7v. If you use them in the L1D, it will no longer have the low modes, only turbo. Not recommended.

meuge

Enlightened
im looking at buying 4AA eneloops and charger

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290238985614

are these better than standard alkaline batteries, would i get more light out of these.

And i noticed on this

http://lermite.nerim.net/beamshots/

that 14500 batteries are brighter than alkaline, what are 14500 are they lithium
I'll second the eneloops, they are excellent batteries for any purpose - low self-discharge, decent capacity, and capability to do very high current (not necessary in L1D, but still...)

The 14500 are lithium-ion rechargeables, and (as already said) are not quite compatible with the L1D - it'll work, and probably be safe, but you will lose all the modes except turbo and strobe.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF

1. Eneloops. Great rechargeable AA battery. You can use your light a lot, especially in high and turbo mode without worrying about cost. See Mattchase's excellent post in flashlight electronics for an eneloop test.

2. I see you are in Scotland. If you get harsh winters and intend using the light in the outdoors, it may be worth getting some Energizer lithium AA's as these work well in low temperatures.

3. AA Alkalines. Ok for low and medium modes. Turbo will drain the battery quite quick. Useful to have on hand if you forget to charge the eneloops.

Marduke

Flashaholic
CR123 are 3v primaries, RCR123's are 3.7v rechargable, and each is a different chemistry.

NiMH are complete different, and a lower voltage (1.2v).

Each light is designed for a certain type of cell. The P3D can handle over 12 volts, where the L1D can only handle up to 3.3v IIRC.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks marduke that was helpful i understand now, so the only option is lithium batteries and charger if iwas to use my P3D with rechargables

i think i will be trying not to go camping in the winter up here lol, but eneloops sound good

thanks for the advice:grin2:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes, P3D can only be used with CR123 primaries or RCR123 with a charger.

However, you can get similar output and operation with the L2D Q5, which works extremely well on two Eneloop cells.

lengendcpf

Enlightened
The sanyo eneloops or the GP recyko batteries are good. In fact very good.

But just get the batteries, don't get the pack that are bundled with the charger. Cause the charger costs money and it is a very slow charger. Fully charge the batteries after 10 over hours.

Can use any quick charger that can charge up to 2500mah capacity, basically you are safe using these type of chargers. That's what I am doing to my recykos.