What all jobs have you had?

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
1) Grocery bagger 16 y.o. (lasted 3 days)
2) Firefighter/fire engineer/fire investigator/fire lieutenant (24 years)
3) Deputy Sheriff (4 years)
4) fire equipment salesman (1 year)
5) security guard/ P.I./bouncer (3 years)
6) Elected County Constable (12 years)

I am through with Law Enforcement. I was lucky I never got hurt bad or killed or had to defend my actions in court. I was involved in 24 high speed pursuits without a single "bad" accident.

So I currently I hold only the fire department job as shift Lieutenant. I can retire in 13 months if I choose to and I'll only be 42 years old. Then maybe I'll go to work somewhere with a garden center where I can work with flowers and bushes part-time. I enjoy planting flowers.

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
tutored kids all through middle and high school. decent pay, set my own hours, got paid under the table, and met some cute chicks :naughty:

worked in retail for a year and a half in college, at a computer store. fun times.

then i became an eBusiness Consultant during the dot.com boom, and "luckily" survived 11+ rounds of layoffs. still doing that now pretty much, although have moved up the chain and jumped over to the corporate side at one of my old clients.

:thumbsup:

p.s. working for a big corp means you have to sell your soul. it sucks. seriously. :eek:

jchoo

Enlightened
First to current...

Bagged groceries and chased shopping carts
sold office supplies and computers
sold Gateway computers
Loaded trucks for UPS
sold electronics and cell phones at RadioShack
was a Wizards of the Coast level 1 judge and sales associate at the Game Keeper
Unloaded trucks for Kohls
sold more electronics and cell phones at RadioShack
became an HVAC apprentice
sold even MORE electronics and cell phones at RadioShack
became an assistant manager for RadioShack
assistant manager for GameStop
sold cars (used and new)
sold musical instruments
repaired musical instruments
contract maintenance for nuclear power plants

What a long strange trip it's been, indeed.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
bike messenger (only lasted a few days on account of the pay-$19.40 for three days)

food service (work-study job first year of college)

plaque laminating factory (the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college, still have a nasty scar on my arm from that job)

miscellaneous day laborer jobs after college (most lasting less than a week and at less than minimum wage)

inventory (lasted about eight months full-time and then worked on weekends only for a few months once I started my taximeter job, gave me a scar on my scalp from an auto accident)

repairing taximeters (lasted nearly two years-longest I ever worked for someone else, best pay of all my jobs, first job I actually had weekends off and paid holidays)

part-time self-employment repairing/designing/assembling electronics (September 1990-present)

Needless to say I'm happiest doing what I do now. The other jobs were obviously the pits. I have no interest in ever working for someone else again.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Paperboy (~2 years)
Cleanup person at a dry cleaner (age 11 or 12) (~5 months)
Dishwasher/prep cook at an Italian restaraunt (age 16) (at least several months)
Vending machine route driver (several years)
Video arcade cashier/maintenance tech (several years)
Cook at Jack In the Box (less than 6 months)
Cook at Burger King (this job was short-lived because you had to "clock out" just to use the restroom) (A matter of days)
Cook at a KFC (approximately 20 months)
Video game / pinball machine repair/restoration technician (approximately 30 months)
Bartender (~3.8 years)

steve6690

Enlightened
Since 1981..

1. Joined the British Army at 16 as an electronics technician apprentice
2. Left the Army in 1988 and worked for British Telecom as an engineer, also delivered chinese takeaway meals in the evenings to make ends meet.
3. Left BT in 1993 and bought a "London Taxi" which I drove for 7 years.
4. Joined the UK Police in 2000 and am currently on an armed response unit..

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing much.

Worked as a web translator and computer technician privately some years ago, but never really did much of anything.

Went to the university (course for interpreters and translators) with grand ideas of breezing through and getting a good job, got stuck on exams that had nothing to do with the chosen course, dropped out.

Then, right when I was readying myself for a thankless beginner job, I inherited some money. Now I'm looking for ways to invest it so I can have some income without actually having to work.

I might still do something every now and again, but my goals have shifted from "work hard and have lots of money" to "work little, enjoy life, have lots of free time".

iced_theater

Enlightened
McDonalds - about 15 months
Lucky Bucks Bingo - one month
Arctic Circle - 18 months
Maverik - 3 months *at the same time as Arctic Circle*
U.P. Railroad - Currently just over 4 years

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
  1. Mowed the grass at a cemetary for a few summers (early teens)
  2. Worked in a feed mill in the summer while going to college (16 & 17)
  3. Been a software developer since 1988

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paperboy
Plant watering and weeding at a nursery
Delivering furniture
Library desk clerk
Navy - electronics technician, nuclear reactor operator, instructor
Water plant operator
College coordinator (paperwork jockey giving army soldiers college credit for military experience)

DieselTech

Enlightened
Several.

Farmed all my life. Still do today. While doing that, I've also:

Worked in a warehouse as a forklift operator.
Worked at a paintball store (second job while working at the warehouse)
Worked on semi trucks for several years.
Worked on cars.
I also repaired tractors, construction equipment, and everything else as a side job while working as a mechanic, and still do.

Currently, I repair and occasionally deliver forklifts. In my 'off' hours, I still farm and do side jobs repairing whatever folks drag to me or call me to come fix.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted by Filippo: "let see....study, study, study....keep studing..."

Umm, does that mean you're a "stud?!?" (Sorry, I assume it's a typo, but I couldn't resist.)

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Coffee and muffin shop
2. Supermarket
3. Pizza Hut
4. Red Lobster
5. Campus security guard
6. Campus pub bouncer
7. Registered Nurse medical-surgical unit
8. Registered Nurse medical-surgical intensive care unit/cardiac intensive care unit
9. Registered Nurse Operating room (Present)

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
also curious to hear from everyone - in retrospect, what job were you the happiest at?

I was happiest when I worked at the paintball field. Got to be a ref and yelled at people all day. You'd be surprised how often people just take off their masks!

Then got to play for free, minus the cost of paintballs. Good times.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first paid job was working for a sports concessions company. It was only a couple of weekends a year, when the NHBA racing (National Hot Boats Association) came to Puddingstone Lake. I did that all throughout high school. I got to see all of the racing boats, from top fuel down.

My first daily job, though only a part time after school job, was working for Selecta Switch, Inc. Officially, I was part of the marketing dept., but I was mainly stuck in the coallating room, putting together catalogs. I did a tiny bit of typing and some parts packaging, too. I was still in high school and quit after three months, so I could play on the Badmitton team.

After high school, while in Jr. college, I worked for Domino's Pizza as a delivery driver. I took orders, made pizzas, and delivered 'em. It was a really fun job with lots of tips.

For a long time, nearly 10 years, I was officially unemployed, but I often worked with a friend, helping him with his home improvement business as a general helper, which included painting and tile cutting. I also did a bunch of painting with my brother.

I worked for a large commercial painting company for a week, but quit, because it was a drag being out in the sun all day with my neck bent back as I painted with a long pole. Basically, I'd go home beat, shower, sleep, then wake up at 3:30am to get ready and go the shop by 5am, but not get paid until I got on the site at 6am. I thought it was miserable. It was nothing like painting with my brother, who never wanted to work more than 6 hours at a time. We were the bosses, so it was much different.

For about 8 years, including some of the time I was painting, and during my next job, I collected scrap metal and recycled it. I also picked up televisions, washing machines, and whatever else I could sell to a guy I knew, who would bring truck loads of stuff to Mexico to sell there. Collecting scrap is where the "Trashman" comes from, as it was during those days that I became infatuated with flashlights, especially after getting my first good flashlight, a 5w Nuwai, which saved me lots of time each night by allowing me to see what was on the curb without having to get out of my car to investigate. I think the fact that the flashlight was actually "working" for me (saving me time) made me love them so much.

I worked at Conroy's Flowers as a delivery driver for nearly 6 years. I also learned floral arranging during that time. Another enjoyable job!

Currently, since January, I've been working as a messenger (by car) in the greater Los Angeles area. I worked for one company for 6 weeks and then switched to a different one. I was standing by too long for the first one and my pay checks were terrible (none of my 3 checks even came close to equaling minimum wage. Always less than $4 an hour.) This one keeps me constantly moving and the checks are a lot bigger. The gas prices are killing me, though. I spend close to $700 a month on gas! Most messenger jobs are commission jobs, BTW. I'm looking into having another company put a sign on the roof of my car (it's an opportunity only available to LA messengers), which will get my another $100 a week. (it's practically free money!) That'll be a huge boost.

That's it!

Last edited:

pactchncn

Newly Enlightened
Worked at a Theater, did everything 2002-2007
Best Buy (lasted on the sales floor for 4 months than did merchandising):thumbsdow Retail Sucks! 2004-2006
Unloaded trucks at UPS. Lasted four months then moved on. Gained alot of muscle! 2006
Took a break from your typical jobs and did freelance home theater installs and computer repairs.
Got my CDL and drove sideload (the pop trucks you typically see at gas stations) for Dr. Pepper 2007
Currently unemployed, going to school and loving every minute of it!:twothumbs

After school I hope to go on tour with some big band making flashy lights and really loud sound! The best part about this job is I can use all of my lights all the time. (for those who are wondering I go to Full Sail for Show Production and Touring)