Rechargeable Help

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had surefire 8 series. I would not recommend.

I have Ultrastinger now. With out a doubt...the best rechargable light I have ever had... I do not think that you could go wrong with one.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Only one thing to keep in mind about rechargeables is that for the Streamlight series (Stinger, Stinger HP, and UltraStinger) the burn time is about an hour. If you need more time, then you may need to have extra battery packs.

Streamlight makes a charger that charges both the battery in the light, and a second battery pack at the same time; it's called their 'piggyback charger'.

The Magcharger gives about 1/1/2 hour burn time. It's probably more tolerant to abuse than the Streamlight Stinger series, but it's also significantly heavier than the UltraStinger.

I have a SureFire 8NX (last choice...) a Magcharger, a regular Stinger, a Stinger HP, and an UltraStinger. If I had to pick one, for every day use, I'd probably go with the Stinger HP, for it's smaller size, relative to the UltraStinger. While not as bright as an UltraStinger, it has plenty of reach to it.
wink.gif

One advantage to the regular Stinger and Magcharger is that they use bipin lamps, and you can store an extra one in the tailcap. The Stinger HP, and UltraStinger use a lamp that has a plastic flange on it. An extra lamp for those two lights could probably be carried in a 35mm film container, or something similar.
tongue.gif
shocked.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Gandalf for the minireview of the streamlight line of recharable lights! Now back to regular programming...

No seriously, Gandalf is one of the reasons that I chose the Ultrastinger... Great quick consise review there pal!

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Mag charger, Polystinger, UltraStinger and a 6P with rechargeable conv. Kit. The Ultra is the most bang for the buck, the Mag is very durable, have had it about 8 years and still have the original battery pack. The Poly is compact and the 6P is the most versatile you can also run it on 123's if it dies and lots of other options Turbo head for long range lots of lamps for brightness. I would consider them all quality lights. Hope this helps.

battman

Newly Enlightened
I work the nightshift at the airport and am hoping for some advice on what rechargeable flashlight I should buy. I love my 7-LED Expedition & my Photon 2 (& anxiously awaiting my Newbeam!), but I often need ability to see equipment from 20+ feet away. Should I be looking at MagCharger, Streamlight, Surefire? Thanks for the help.

battman

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for the info guys. I like the specs on the StingerHP, but can't find specs for the head diameter...I require 3" diameter or less.
BTW, got my Opalec today & I'm stoked! Will be great for close-up work. The guys at work are impressed.
shocked.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
the stinger HP and Ultrastinger have the same size head at 2" diameter...

Karpaasi

Newly Enlightened
I was going to ask the same question but battman was faster than me. I would like to have small and powerful rechargeable flashlight. Runtime is not too important for me, even 20-30 minutes would be enough for me.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
SP,
I would recomend the 6P with recharge kit and P61 lamp (120L for 20 min.) I love mine!

Karpaasi

Newly Enlightened
6P would fit my description almost perfectly. Do you have to buy recharge kit and p61 lamp separately because if so it is going to be quite expensive. Also does anyone know lumens ratings for stinger, stinger HP and ultrastinger. And also magcharger so that I could compare them for something.

battman

Newly Enlightened
Ultra 2X as bright...that's the kind of 1st hand "insight" I need, thanx. There's so many conflicting specs out there. Like they say, statistics don't lie, but statisticians do! BTW, I found the Ultrastinger @ www.thetoolwarehouse.net for $88.83 incl AC&DC holders/chargers. Anyone know of a better price?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
batt,
Can't tell you about the Magcharger, but my US is very bright, & because of the weight, you could carry it for hours & never notice it was there. Also, very comfortable to hold due to the tube diameter. TX

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think you need a Class 1, Div 2 light around all that jet fuel. My recommendation is Streamlight "New Survivor".

battman

Newly Enlightened
Seems that Streamlights are highly recommended here. After extensive "google-ing" I've found that the MagCharger claims a 75hr bulb life while the StingerHP & Ultrastinger claim only 30hrs. Since the magcharger & ultrastinger are similar in price, weight, dimensions, reliability, & light ouput, why not choose the Mag with it's longer burn time, bulb life, & spare lamp capacity?
Thoughts???
I still need convincing.
tongue.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UltraStinger is 2x as bright lighter and has a much better beam. Now that I own both I never use the Mag