Ra Twisty. Did mine break first?

Dadof6

Enlightened
Ok, I know the Ra Twisty is supposed to be tough as nails so I bought one. Actually I have now purchased two (one is in the mail). One of the many reasons I bought the light was because of its extreme toughness. But tonight, while changing the batteries, I noticed something small and shiny fall to the ground. When I picked it up I realized that the contact for the positive end of the battery had fallen off. (I don't know if it is the preassure applied and the constant twisting which caused it to break, but break it did) I'll call HDS/ Ra Lights tomorrow and figure out what I need to do to get a replacement, but I'm wondering if I am the first one to have this sturdy light break.

Let me know.

Rich

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
wow... you might just be the first one.....
Take a picture for the rest of us, so we can check out what is going on..
Sorry to hear it though..
I've been using my Twisty non-stop since I received it, and everything looks tip-top.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's unfortunate. It's little surprising to hear about a Twisty problem so soon. For me it is not entirely unexpected only because I believe there is no such thing as zero tolerance and whenever a new light is released some problems no matter how small seem to arise. In any manufacturing process, the initial testing can give you an indication of a product's durability but long term reliability and durabiltiy requires time. I'm sure Henry and his staff will take care of you.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I'm extremely sad to hear about your late; both from your prospective and from mine as a fellow Twisty owner. We'll all be following this thread with interest.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a missunderstanding and time will set things right.

The Ra Twisty did not break... it was assaulting the floor by throwing one of its components at it. I have found that mine is constantly picking on things around the house (like my cat and other lights).

Give it a little time and it will put itself back together:devil: Mine did:thumbsup: but my cat is still not right.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha... I think the Twisty will become the Chuck Norris of the flashlight world...

I was thinking the Rickson Gracie of the flashlight world... because the best fighters fight on the ground:devil:

Dadof6

Enlightened
Spoke to Henry today and shipped it off to HDS. He was not happy with his guy over quality control as the soldering of that connection should not have broken off. I believe this was very likely an anomaly as I have heretofore been most pleased with HDS lights. I look forward to the return of my twisty friend.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
It will become clear, in the near future, whether or not this is an anomoly or a design/production glitch.

I'm betting it's the former.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spoke to Henry today and shipped it off to HDS. He was not happy with his guy over quality control as the soldering of that connection should not have broken off. I believe this was very likely an anomaly as I have heretofore been most pleased with HDS lights. I look forward to the return of my twisty friend.
Dad - Did you happen to take a pic before you sent it off?

Hope you were able to so we can compare the solder to ours..

Thanks.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like it or not IMHO this speaks to the quality of the light in a very good way.
Think about it. A boat load of these have been sold and tracked here on the cpf. Just look at the serial number page. Anyway the fact that this is the first RA that has broken and or needed ANY kind of service that we have heard of is pretty darn good.
Commercial products usually have a 5-10% failure rate. The Ra is not exactly a commercial product they don't make 1000's of them.
At the point of it is the ra is clearly a well made light any way you stack it.
It may not be everybody's cup of tea but it is still a well made flashlight.
Yaesumofo

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
My, Ra-120-TW started acting funny today. The separation between levels 1&2 became so small that I had to finely twist it to turn level 1 on without going to level 2. I called Henry and he gave a me a pretty good idea what was going on. When I got home upon closer inspection I found that the "spring" which is really 1 of the 2 loops (1 smaller than the other) visible as you look into the (back of) bezel was loose on 1 side. The solder that holds it onto the board apparently gave way. Having said that I am sure it is not a common problem and am certain Henry will fix it right. I am sending the light back Monday.

Paul

I guess I can claim problem #2.
:D

Last edited:

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
HDS's service is first class and Henry is a real gentleman to deal with. I'm sure they'll have your light running perfectly in no time.

My, Ra-120-TW started acting funny today. The separation between levels 1&2 became so small that I had to finely twist it to turn level 1 on without going to level 2. I called Henry and he gave a me a pretty good idea what was going on. When I got home upon closer inspection I found that the "spring" which is really 1 of the 2 loops (1 smaller than the other) visible as you look into the bezel was loose on 1 side. The solder that holds it onto the board apparently gave way. Having said that I am sure it is not a common problem and am certain Henry will fix it right. I am sending the light back Monday.

Paul

I guess I can claim problem #2.
:D

Dadof6

Enlightened
So, as far as I can see, both in my instance and in the other instance, it was the soldering which was defective.