Taking the plunge - its Surefire time! But which one?

scottaw

Enlightened
I always reccomend the Cree L1 to first time surefire buyers, and anyone who doesn't own one. It's a great light with 2 good levels, i find the 65 with the optic makes it seem much brighter than my other 65 lumen lights. Great starting place too, you can usually find one near new in the B/S/T forums for about $90

watchcollector1968

Newly Enlightened
You are right in thinking the E2DL would be a great one, I love mine. I also think you are right though to consider travel and bag checks...I could see it be confiscated.

As mentioned already, the L1 would be great. The optics really do enhance the already good 65 lumens. My wife has an L1 and loves it.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
+1 Cree L1 - Own it and love it. Low is 10 lumens, but because of the optic, this "small" output is QUITE useful. Great throw, but with enough fill light to make sure that the "tunnel vision" of the last model, (which were also great lights) is not a problem at all. The 65 lumens looks as bright as my Fenix L1t- which claims to producee 98 lumens! Also, with the optic, the throw is unbelievable for a light of this small size.

Add the light weight, pocket clip, two stage tailcap, long run time on a single battery, (I think it says 16 hours low, 1.5 hours high,) and you have a close to a perfect light as I can think of, given what you say you are looking for.

I don't own one, but I hear rave reviews of the "backup" as well. My understanding is that it is a less expensive light with the same optic and some type of clicky tailswitch. There are plenty of descriptions from people here who own and understand that light here on CPF.

This will be your first SF- but it probably won't be your last!! Good Luck and Enjoy!!!!

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

+5 for SF CREE L1. I like the light by itself, even though it's not the brightest considering what's available. I only paid about $90 for it over at BST. I used it for a bit and then sent it to MilkySpit for modding. I should be getting my mod L1 today, so I'm stoked. Milky did the following:

(1) Replaced the CREE LED to Seoul SSC P4 USW0H LED
(2) Changed the TIR optic to UCL lens with IMS20 "smoothie" reflector
(3) Changed the stocked driver to MadMax+ driver
(4) Bore out the battery tube to accept rechargable RCR123a batteries

This light is supposed to generate about 200 lumens (rechargable) / 165 lumens (primary) on high and around 15 lumens (rechargable) / 10 lumens (primary) on low.

The L1 and the modding with run you a little over $200, but IMO, it's worth it. :twothumbs

Harry1922

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses so far everyone - really appreciate your input! Looks like the L1 is the favorite and the light for me. :twothumbs

Just curious, if transport was not a worry - how is the L1 vs. the E2D? :naughty:

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second getting a Milky L1.

Perfect beam with a smoothie reflector.

Pure white...

One of the best lights that I own.

The stock L1 is nice, but the Milky L1 is better...

IMHO

jchoo

Enlightened
The E2DL on high is about double the output of the CREE L1, and on low the CREE L1 is double the output of the E2DL (120 lumens vs. 65 lumens and 10 lumens vs. 5 lumens, respectively). I own a single level E2DL and it is great. The beam throws well, but still has a very useable spill. The stock L1 beam is narrower (at least it is in mine, the last non-CREE version - soon to be sent off to Milky). I must ask, though - if you're keeping it in your backpack, why not go all the way to a UB2/UA2? The extra size won't be much of a bother, and 400 lumens... yum. :twothumbs

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
My vote Goes to the Cree L1 also. I carried an E2l Outdoorsman for years & dont know why I waited so long to get an L1. If it is going to be carried in a backpack primarily I think I would opt for something like the UB2 instead. One thing is for certain it doesnt matter which one you decide upon, It wont be your last!!

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nobody likes the E1B?

The E1B is nice as well. I just have a weakness for the L1's two-stage lockout tailcap for some reasons. :shrug: I had the E1B and like it as well. The performance is very comparable to L1.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2DL is an awesome choice. I have read many people get through flights with no problem but if new reg's have you concerned you could always file down the teeth a bit or maybe put a F04 Beam Diffuser over the head when flying.

greenLED

Flashaholic
If you like the E2D a whole lot but are afraid you might run into problems at some point, you could get an E2L. In terms of output, etc. they're pretty much the same thing. The difference is in the color of the anodizing and, of course, the scalloped bezel and tail on the E2D.

That said... the L1 is one of my favorite SF lights. As a matter of fact, I've been EDC'ing mine (again) for the last week or so. Great little light. If you'd prefer a wider beam you might want to get a diffuser for it. Other than that, I don't see a reason to change anything (unless you want to go the mod route, but that's well beyond your stated budget).

Nobody likes the E1B?
Too small for my taste, and I'm a sucker for HA-BK. I love how the 2 stage switch works... and the clip!! :twothumbs

Harry1922

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys get commission, haha. Seriously, thanks again for all the advice. I could've guessed this would happen as I've been through it all before with folders - started with a mini-grip then had to get the ritter-grip, and eventually before I knew it I had a sebbie... I'm sure you all know that story.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish we get commission for every referral :naughty:. I know what you mean ... I frequently visit knifeforums.com and that's how I ended up with a small sebbie.

If the modded Milky ML1 breaks, it will not be covered by Surefire. But Scott should take care of you. I know a few members who have his lights for many years and don't seem to have any problems ... at least there's no posts that I've seen.

Surefire usually underrate their lumens rating. The L1's 65 lumens is pretty bright ... brigther or at least comparable than some of my lights that are rated above 100 lumens.

I wanted to get the E2DL but end up not getting it because I have my Milky CREEmator ... lost my incentive. :shrug: It is a very sweet light though, but it's bigger than L1 and runs off two CR123a.

Do you guys get commission, haha. Seriously, thanks again for all the advice. I could've guessed this would happen as I've been through it all before with folders - started with a mini-grip then had to get the ritter-grip, and eventually before I knew it I had a sebbie... I'm sure you all know that story.

Looks like the L1 is still a favorite - well a modified L1 at least. Question - not that a sf would ever break but... are the modified milky L1s still covered by surefire?

I would love to get a powerhouse light and mods like crzy but still dont want to break the $200 mark. At least not yet!

Anymore advice on the E2DL vs. L1? I guess I'm getting hung up on the fact that 65 lms doesnt seem like enough - even though I'm sure it is. And I still think the E2DL is one bada$$ light.

Apologies for asking so many Q's!

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Nobody likes the E1B?

I have an E1L that's beem my EDC for a while now, awesome pocket light, been wanting an EB1 for a while but just came across a EB1 head, screws right on and voila, my new EDC...a supercharged E1L, also fits my E1E.:grin2:

Latest posts