Surefire E2E older style. Good LED upgrade?

passive101

Enlightened
I have the older style E2E flashlight. Is there are a good surefire LED head I can put no it so it's brighter then 60 lumens and longer battery life then 1.25 hours?

stuart

Newly Enlightened
I've got an older style as well. I've used a 3rd generation KL1, 4th gen KL1, and the KL4. The first two are probably not an issue since they've been replaced by the KX2, but just in case I'll describe them anyway.

Understand the following is merely opinion:
KL1 3rd gen: ugly purple beam, more flood than spot, about 4 hours runtime, doesn't come close to the E2's incan bulb but seemed great (due to runtime) about 5 years ago.

KL1 4th gen: has the distinctive square beam shape. More spot than flood, very little side spill, I think its around 3 or 4 hours runtime. A bit closer to being "tactical" like the incan bulb. possible alternative to the incan depending on your taste, but IMO still not close to the Incan bulb.

KL4 This is what I use in leiu of the incan bulb. Its very floody, Doesn't illuminate far of things like the incan but it does put out about the same overall amount of lumens as the incan bulb, just not in the same fashion. Your familier with the incan so just imagine adjusting that beam so that your have an extremely wide floodlight with very little ability to say illuminate a man at 100 yards in the woods. I would be comfortable using the KL4 in a tactival situation inside a home or outside at close range. You can get a two stage tailcap that will allow you to save the hour runtime unless you really need it. I use mine on low mostly around the house woods etc, makes it a good worklight.

KX2 this may be what your looking for but I dont' have one, I may buy one soon though to replace the older Kl1s
I'm also currious as to whether or not the E2DL head will be for sale seperately, if so then it should be a good option.

stuart

Newly Enlightened
The KX2 has two versions:

A single output that has 45 lumens (don't remember run time but its long 6?or more hours)

A dual output version that delivers 60 lumens ( I saw 6 hours on someones chart). THe low output if about 5 lumens and of course will run forever.

I think I'm going with the dual output 60 lumen version.

I read about a KX2C on batteryjunctions website. No info yet, photo is comming soon but the ad said it was an E2 series updrade that does 120 lumens for 2 hours. I have not seen anything on the surefire website about this yet but they are typically slow in getting info up on the sight. This sounds like it may be a E2DL defender head that they'll sell separatley. Hopefully without the strick bezel featrue for those of us who don't want to look too agressive when using a light to help an old lady change a tire (smiley face here)I'm going to post a separate thread about the KX2C and see what we can find out

stuart

Newly Enlightened
Check the post about 5 up from this one (if you haven't) done so already. Looks like the new KX2C is a single state 120 lumen lamp that runs 2 hours from the E2DL. I believe beamshots are out there comparing the E2 incan with the e2dl defender so you can see if it outdoes your current set up and gives you two hours regulated vs 1 hours diminishing output. I'd look at them now but I'm already up too late. Good luck

Latest posts