• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: *300mW MXDL Open Can Lasers With Heatsink*

jayrob

Enlightened
Not FS: *300mW MXDL Open Can Lasers With Heatsink*

No longer selling these... Please read this:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1231511226/0

But I am selling DIY Build Kits & Heatsinks! See here: http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDL/

My 4171 build, is just a 'pumped up' version of Daedal's original 'DIY Laser Torch'.
The differences are noted at the end of this first post.

* Yes, one of the build options here, is a 300mW MXDL (for this, I recommend the FlexDrive option set at 430mA's using the Meredith glass lens)

--Either build is very clean. Built with my custom fit heatsink, 420mA's DDL style driver (or FlexDrive option), long open can diode, running around 250mW's to 300mW's (depending on lens choice)--

Two%20models.jpg

'Long' open can diodes harvested from Pioneer 115D DVD drives, or LG LPC815 sleds (same difference). These can be mounted into the module of your choice. The acrylic lens is better for burning. (because you can focus it tighter) The Meredith glass lens gives more power, and is also $10 bucks more than the Meredith acrylic.

I like 430mA's these days. This will give you about 250mW's with an AixiZ acrylic, or around 300mW's with a Meredith glass lens. (heatsinked) I think that 470mA's is really pushing these diodes a little too much. Even with the thick heatsink.
personal.jpg

The FlexDrive driver with the 4171 host, needs a silicon diode installed to drop the supply voltage to 5.5 volts. (This is the max input voltage for the FlexDrives)
Also, with the use of these FlexDrives, this host is now an excellent blu-ray host as well! Using the 3.0 volt Lithium batteries.

More details:
A Meredith glass lens will give a higher power reading, but will not allow you to focus the dot as 'tight' as the acrylic. At that power, yes the Meredith glass lens will easily light matches at 10 feet. But an acrylic lens will burn even better. Here is a picture and a video on this page. The picture shows two lasers with the exact same current.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1199846835/75#77
I have them labeled. The glass lens laser is putting out more power because of the glass lens. But the video of the match burn at 4' distance, is with the acrylic lens laser. An MXDL acrylic lens laser at this power, when focussed properly, will light a black tipped match, at 20'! Pop black balloons at 30'. The 'finger grip' ring turns for focussing. The difference between focus at 5' vs focus at 20', is only about 1/32 of a turn. For an example about focussing, I have two dots marked in this picture: (with a little dot of white paint)
focus%20dots.jpg

One mark is for 5' focus, and the other is for 100' focus.

My 4171 build, is just an 'upgrade' of Daedal's original build.
The differences are:
* The open can diode
* The heatsink
* The use of the 3 ohm resistor, instead of 2 x 10 ohm resistors and a pot. No pot, and just the 3 ohm resistor at the LM317 will give you the 420mA's. (about 250mW's with an acrylic lens – 300mW's with a Meredith glass lens)
* Heatsink needed! As well as the 3.6 volt batteries. His laser thread doesn't mention the silicon diode and cap, because he covered that in his driver thread. He shows pictures of those components in his build.

New: I have a Version 2 heatsink design for the sku's 4171 and 3405 hosts. Now you have another choice!
cheesy.gif

These two hosts have a massive heatsink and this new design still has plenty of mass...

V2%20heat1.jpg

These two hosts have enough room inside that we can have a heatsink that is 'flat'. Not protruding out the front.
cool.gif

Still will fit either module. Here's how the finished build will look with the version 2 heatsink:

V2%20heat2.jpg

V2%20heat3.jpg

So now you have more choices!

Just let me know which host for you build, heatsink style, module, diode, etc... (same price)
smiley.gif

Daedal has a very good guide on the building of this MXDL host here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870

DDL's driver thread is here: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612

I have a couple of documents and 'tips' on doing this build using my custom heatsink. In my 'Driver Tips' document, you will find a good schematic of the original DDL driver.
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDLDriverTips.doc
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDLHeatsinkTips.doc
Jay

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
So...Is the red laser visible in bright daylight? Do you offer a green laser build?

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
So...Is the red laser visible in bright daylight? Do you offer a green laser build?

At this wavelength, the beam is not visible in bright daylight without smoke or fog. I do make blu-ray lasers as well.

Green laser are much more complex. I don't know of anybody who can make one DIY. But I can refer a couple of good companies! Nova, or Optotronics. I have bought from both. A quality green laser will cost you though!
You can get a cheap one from Deal Extream...
Jay

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the red laser wavelength is not visible in bright daylight, will the dot be? Will the 90mW Blu-ray dot be visible in bright daylight? Just to be clear, are you offering either 420mA, or 470mA drivers, or just the 420mA?

jayrob

Enlightened
If the red laser wavelength is not visible in bright daylight, will the dot be? Will the 90mW Blu-ray dot be visible in bright daylight? Just to be clear, are you offering either 420mA, or 470mA drivers, or just the 420mA?

Good point! I fixed the explanation. The 'beam' is not visible in bright daylight. The dot is! Even a 5mW red dot is visible. This is your normal presentation pointer. But at 250ish mW's, you must be very careful. It will blind you. In fact, even for burning matches and stuff, you should have goggles made for the red lasers.

The blu-ray dot is visible too. But seems very dim in daylight. This wavelength is really awesome at night though! Or, in a the dark. The flourescence is mesmerizing!

I recommend 420mA's, some have asked for 470mA's, which is pushing this diode pretty hard. Here's a graph of these open can diodes:
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/Long Open Can - Lava.jpg

The best option is the FlexDrive option! This driver is adjustable. I like the 448mA's setting for this diode.
Jay

P.S. I've got some customer testimonials and reviews here:
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDL/

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is an adjustable buck/boost circuit available to accomodate 2xRCR123A? If not, what is the max mA setting of the FlexDrive? 470mA? What is the average divergence? What is the diameter of the battery housing (looking to mount the laser on a carbine)? Thanks :) .

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Is an adjustable buck/boost circuit available to accomodate 2xRCR123A? If not, what is the max mA setting of the FlexDrive? 470mA? What is the average divergence? What is the diameter of the battery housing (looking to mount the laser on a carbine)? Thanks :) .

I do not know of a boost circuit for this 7.2/8.4 supply voltage. The FlexDrive is available in two ranges. The high range is 100mA's to 500mA's. The low range is 32mA's to 150mA's. The supply voltage is 2.5 volts to 5.5 volts. I use a silicon diode to drop the 6 volt supply (2 X 3.0 volt lithium primaries) to 5.5 volts when using the Kryton barrel.

I could make a DDL driver with a pot, that would allow adjustment, that would work with the MXDL host and use 2 X 3.6 volt rechargeables. I have not measured divergence. The thing is, the lasers are focusable, so the divergence will depend on the focus setting.

The I.D. of the battery compartment on these MXDL hosts, is 17.1mm...
Jay

Patriot

Flashaholic
So it won't accept 18650's and is only designed to run on two primaries right? ....and it wouldn't handle RCR123's either.

jayrob

Enlightened
So it won't accept 18650's and is only designed to run on two primaries right? ....and it wouldn't handle RCR123's either.

This MXDL host will use either the two primaires, or 2 X RCR123 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries. It just depends on which driver you choose. The FlexDrive will need the 3.0 volt primaries. But the DDL driver must have the 3.6 volt batteries. It will not fit an 18650, but a 17670 will fit in 'tight' (this would work for the FlexDrive, but not for a DDL driver).
Lots of options here...
Jay

Last edited:

07accordEX

Newly Enlightened
I bought the heatsink from him over at LPF to build my MXDL laser and it is AWESOME!

This guy is great, if you ever wanted a high power laser now is the time to get one

Patriot

Flashaholic
This MXDL host will use either the two primaires, or 2 X RCR123 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries. It just depends on which driver you choose. The FlexDrive will need the 3.0 volt primaries. But the DDL driver must have the 3.6 volt batteries. It will not fit an 18650, but a 17670 will fit in 'tight' (this would work for the FlexDrive, but not for a DDL driver).
Lots of options here...
Jay

Thanks Jay.

What is the advantage of a higher power reading for the glass lens if the acrylic lens focuses more tightly and therefor burns better?

What are the disadvantages to the acrylic lens other than a lower power reading figure?

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Thanks Jay.

What is the advantage of a higher power reading for the glass lens if the acrylic lens focuses more tightly and therefor burns better?

What are the disadvantages to the acrylic lens other than a lower power reading figure?

Most people want this build for burning. For this, the acrylic lens is better. Different people have their own reasons for wanting a Merdith glass lens. It does still burn good. I would say, that if you were in a fog area, or at a campfire (lots of smoke), the Meredith glass would be better. That's just my opinion though...
Jay

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses Jay. That makes perfect sense. I suppose that I'd be more interested in the burning capabilities so the acrylic lens would work best for me.

jayrob

Enlightened
07accordEX, thanks for that great compliment!:)

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses Jay. That makes perfect sense. I suppose that I'd be more interested in the burning capabilities so the acrylic lens would work best for me.

Yes, me too. I would say probably 8 out of 10 people like the acrylic lens. But there is the option for an AixiZ glass lens when using the AixiZ module. This is a nice lens for red diodes. (but not for blu-ray) With the reds, it will give a little more power than the AixiZ acrylic lens (8mW's to 10mW's at this current), but still allow the tight focus capabilities that are similar to the acrylic lenses.

The reason why the Meredith glass lens gives more power, is because of it's design. It is a 'short focus' lens. Meaning that it must be positioned very close to the LD in order to get focus. So, more light gets to the lens, before it has a chance to 'fan out' to the sides of the module. It is also a single element lens. Take a look at this diagram:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1207011306/36#36
The trade off, is that it doesn't allow as 'tight' of a focus. But it is a very nice lens. It still will burn very good at this power, just not as good as the acrylics, or the AixiZ glass. I really like the Meredith glass lenses for the blu-ray builds! Allowing much more of the awesome blu-ray light out. I don't use the blu-rays for burning. Although they burn very well! I like the blu-rays for at night, or in the dark. That awesome fluorescence...
Jay

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Pierce, I got your build done and it will be in today's mail! (Monday)

Pierce%20Umberger%2012-22-08.jpg

I put a small dot of white paint to mark the 5' focal point.

Nice diode... putting out 255mW's through the AixiZ acrylic lens with the DDL driver set at 422mA's.
smiley.gif

Looks pretty good with the version 2 heatsink!
cool.gif

Let me know when you get it...
Jay

jayrob

Enlightened
Axle, got your 3405 build done! It will be in tomorrow's mail. (Tuesday)

AxleMeetTheGeeks.org%2012%2023%2008.jpg

Set at 150mW's per your request. The long open can diode should have a very long life at this setting.

I have a small dot of white paint to mark the 5' focal point and this baby still burns very good at this power.
cool.gif

Please let me know when you get it!
Jay

jayrob

Enlightened
Aaron, your really going to like this sweet blu-ray build!
cool.gif

Aaron%20Bailey%201-5-09.jpg

Using the Meredith glass lens and a nice 803T diode, your getting 125mW's at a setting of 125mA's.
smiley.gif

Remember that these 4171/FlexDrive builds have a silicon diode installed in the 'pill' of the host before the Flexdrive to drop voltage to 5.5 volts. You must only use 2 X 3.0 volt batteries. (included) Do not use 3.6 volt batteries.

It will be in Monday's mail. Please let me know when you get it...
Jay

jayrob

Enlightened
hamheart, I got your 4171 red build done and it will be in tomorrow's mail!
smiley.gif
(Wednesday)

Jan%20D%20Crosby%201-7-09.jpg

It is set at 240mW's per our discussion. Version 2 heatsink... Please take a minute to read the included instruction sheet and safety recommendations.
Jay

jayrob

Enlightened
Hi, sorry for the confusing array of pictures!:grin2:

It's just that there are several options for these builds. Some of the options affect the overall price...

Look just under the second picture of the 1st post. Right above the picture that says 'FlexDrive Option'.
Jay