Up in smoke - SureFire Quad Rebel 100 MCR12

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
anypics.gif

generic808

Enlightened
Forget the light! How in the world does a $40K+ truck burn down on the freeway due to an engine fire?

The main thing is that no one was hurt. And it's good to know you'll be covered somewhat for the Surefire.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Definitely glad to hear no one was hurt.

I remember seeing pics of your sweet ride. Hard to believe it's gone.

Do you have an idea what might have triggered the fire in the engine?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MCR12 was left on, the resultant heat punched a hole through the firewall and ignited the remianing fuel and oil in the engine :) .

GLOCK18

Enlightened
No sure yet but the insurance thinks its from a leaking fuel rail, they only want to pay me $100.00 for the light not a big deal as long as they cover the truck. they also have to pay for the freeway clean up

Forget the light! How in the world does a $40K+ truck burn down on the freeway due to an engine fire?

The main thing is that no one was hurt. And it's good to know you'll be covered somewhat for the Surefire.

spoonrobot

Enlightened

If I recall correctly; certain years of the Ford F-series trucks have a problem with the Speed Control Deactivation Switch (SCDS) that can cause fires at any time originating with the brake master cylinder and spreading very quickly the rest of the engine compartment.

I have an 1998 E-series Ford Van and recently got a recall notice from Ford stating the problem and requesting that I take the vehicle to a Ford dealer to have the problem repaired. The wording is funny; states the problem as:
Ford cannot be confident that the SCDS will not leak and cause underhood fires.

Sorry about the light but glad everyone is okay.

GLOCK18

Enlightened
The picture I posted was of my XRUNNER, did'nt drive the Ford much with it only getting 10 MPG.

Definitely glad to hear no one was hurt.

I remember seeing pics of your sweet ride. Hard to believe it's gone.

Do you have an idea what might have triggered the fire in the engine?

neophyte340

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... engine fire sounds like the Ford cruise control recall switch. But they usually catch when the truck is parked after a few hours of sitting.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
This was my favorite light ( SureFire Quad Rebel 100 MCR12 ) up until tonight, my Ford F150 Harley Davison burn to the ground today after an engine fire, my light was in the center console and it melted down to a gloob of metal at some point the battery blew up I think it made it worst. The good new no one was hurt, burn down on the freeway, to make thing worst I claim the light to my insurance they will only cover it as a stock U2.

This was the light

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192672

Thats scary man. Glad no one was hurt. On what freeway did this happen? there was a gridlock traffic here in San Diego yesterday.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Wow, glad to hear you ween't in the truck when it got fire.

I'm surprised the insurance company is even paying for the light. That's cool, collect the $100, then send the light to SF & see what they say. :grin2:

Did you get to keep the light?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What year was the Ford truck?

Glad you are ok. Love that Taco that you own!

Do you have any pics of the HD?

GLOCK18

Enlightened
I pulled over when I seen smoke coming from under the hood, pulled the latch and thats when the flames started to come out the side of the opened hood,by the time the fire dept showed up it was ingulfed in flame.

Its a 2001 SuperCharged F150

Wow, glad to hear you ween't in the truck when it got fire.

I'm surprised the insurance company is even paying for the light. That's cool, collect the $100, then send the light to SF & see what they say. :grin2:

Did you get to keep the light?

GLOCK18

Enlightened
11am

I wonder if I send it to SF if they would even notice its been modded, it hard to tell it was even a flashlight, need to get it from the truck to take some pictures its at the insurance yard inpound.

man I'm near national city! what time did that happen?

Latest posts