Japanese Safty Torch

J

jamie

Good afternoon, can anyone help?, Im trying to buy a special Japanese safety torch, 2 cell, which is wall mounted in its own bracket. They are used in hotels, and switch on automatically when removed from the bracket, I think maybe Hitachi make them. Does anyone know where I can purchase these, 18 of them in Europe?

Thanks for the advice,

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess these are are the sort of thing you are referring to...

x.7691.l.jpg

http://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/products/national/FF/FF-181P-D.html
x.7361.l.jpg

http://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/products/national/FF/FF-382P.html

They're a pretty simple idea - the light itself doesn't have a switch, but there is a slot cut into the case at the point where the two batteries would connect, and the holder has a plastic tab which slips into the slot and holds the batteries apart when the light is in the holder. When the light is removed, the batteries come together and the light turns on.

These are very common here in Japan - there seems to be some kind of regulation which requires them in hotel rooms, since they all have them.
But I don't know if they are exported at all..

Graham

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Great photos Graham!

Actually, I saw these everywhere when I was in Japan, but that was before I became flasaholicized so never bothered to check them out. But I do remember playing around with them a bit, perhaps those were early warning signs?

Very smart flashlights.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Japanese ones are strictly intended as emergency lights - the only way to turn it off is to put it back in the holder, and they use alkaline batteries, not rechargeables. I don't believe the batteries can be replaced, either.
Intended more or less as a throw away emergency item which can be replaced relatively cheaply - I can't see anyone fitting out a hotel with one of those fancy rechargeable lights in every guest room...

They're also all incandescent - I've never seen LED ones, but I guess they'll come out eventually.

The top one (orange body) apparently has an approx. 4 hour runtime, uses 2 C cells, 1000lux brightness, and uses a 2.5V .75A lamp

The bottom one (white body) has an approx. 2 hour runtime, uses 2 AA cells, 20lux brightness, and uses a 2.2V .25A lamp.

Graham