In the market for a flood 18650 light

LowTEC

Enlightened
Hi guys, haven't been on CPF for awhile so help me out, I'm looking for something brighter and floodier than my UltraFfire C2-Q5. The C2 brightness was impressive and all, until I dropped it on the floor a couple times and it stopped working.
I currently using my P2D and P2DQ5 but their short 30 minutes run time from the RCR123A just won't cut it, plus they are not as bright as my C2-Q5. So I'm looking for a 18650 light with at least an hour run time on full brightness, and it has to be at least equal to or even more-flood type than UF C2 (OP reflector), the key point is flood and reliable, prefer 1 mode or minimal modes as I will ONLY use full brightness 100% of the time. Price lower than 100 bucks if possible Thanx in advance :twothumbs

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: In the market of a flood 18650 light

:naughty:

... See post 48 for beam shots

it has a wide/even hotspot ...... more than most lights.

At 5 Giant steps from a door - the hotspot is the width of an average doorway.

Is that floody enough for ya on 18650 ?

Costs only $30.00 .... Creamy white tint.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is a thread recently about a WolfEyes Sniper P7. It may have been in the Flashlight Reviews section of this forum.

edit: Here it is: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=200801 it has beamshots vs some other popular 18650 lights. It looks like an amazing floody light. The best I can think of.
edit: Ouch, just looked at the price: $217

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened

The P7 Sniper is awesome . . . . but if you don't want one of those there is another option you might like: Check out this post. If 225 lumens of pure flood is enough, the Malkoff M60F drop-in might be just what you are looking for.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about the Huntlight FT-01XSE. 140 lumens of flood, runs on 18650, RCR123As, and 123A lithiums. Actually about 100 lumens on 18650 and has more modes than you want, but it does always come on first on high so it shouldn't matter that much. Only $45 at Lighthound.com. It's probably one of your cheapest, high quality options.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is a thread recently about a WolfEyes Sniper P7. It may have been in the Flashlight Reviews section of this forum.

edit: Here it is: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=200801 it has beamshots vs some other popular 18650 lights. It looks like an amazing floody light. The best I can think of.
edit: Ouch, just looked at the price: $217
If you can not afford $217 there are plenty of P7 lights under $50 or $60 of quite adequate quality.
see my post
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2449743&postcount=4
Check out the review links for the beamshots. Everybody's idea of flood is different!

Zenster

Enlightened

What I would personally consider the Cadillac of 18650 flood lights would be to:

Get a standard Surefire incan 6P @ $50
Change out the tube for a FiveMega 2x18650 tube for it @ $48
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190833
Add a Malkoff M60F for it at $60...

... add batteries and you're good to go at not too much beyond your price point. If you can sell the brand new standard 6P tube, it cuts the total price even more.

With 2600mah 18650 batteries, you'd have a 235 lumen floody blaster that will run 3-1/2 hours on a pair of 18650's.

LowTEC

Enlightened

Thanx for the replies and it has been awhile and I now really trying to get a 18650 torch now. :shrug:

P7 is out of question as I can't afford a 200 plus flashlight for my intended use, thanx for the suggestion though

How about DX VB-16 SSC?
I dunno VB-16 is brighter than the old UF C2 Q5? My P2D CE Q5 is about "180" lumen, and the Q5 is significantly brighter than my Fenix

:naughty:

At 5 Giant steps from a door - the hotspot is the width of an average doorway.

Is that floody enough for ya on 18650 ?

Costs only $30.00 .... Creamy white tint.

Seems pretty floody, but I'm not sure if it is any brighter than the C2Q5, again....any experience?

How about the Huntlight FT-01XSE. 140 lumens of flood, runs on 18650, RCR123As, and 123A lithiums. Actually about 100 lumens on 18650 and has more modes than you want, but it does always come on first on high so it shouldn't matter that much. Only $45 at Lighthound.com. It's probably one of your cheapest, high quality options.

hmmm, FT-01XSE doesn't seem to be bright enough for my indoor use, as all the wall and floor is dark if not black color.

Now I'm also looking at some new lights that just came out.
1 is the Fenix TK11, with one of the better output with 18650?
2. The other is the decree C1LH V4
3. Orlight MT20?

you guys have any experience or any comparison to show which one of the 3 is the brightest? I tried to search but I jsut can't find any TK11 review or comparison :ohgeez:

mdocod

Flashaholic

Hello LowTEC,

Most LED lights utilizing single die emitters in 18650 packages are relatively throw oriented. The only exception that comes to mind is the M60F module for a surefire compatible bezel that has been mentioned. The cost of putting said configuration together(with 18650 compatibility), not including batteries and charger, is going to be around or over $150 just about any way you slice it.

One "surefire" way to get more flood, is to have a smaller reflector... I'm thinking maybe something like a Jet III pro ST from Jetbeam. it does not have the larger reflector found on most 18650 lights, and will probably be somewhat more floody.

As I understand it, it's a "variable" output light, but I believe it can be setup to always come on in high when you turn it on. The jetbeam electronics are notorious for suffering from relatively low efficiency when operated at lower output modes, but this would not really effect you as you are interested in the high output modes.

There are VERY FEW lights on the market that will run in regulation on a single 18650 cell. Most of the 1x18650 lights out there are using a buck regulation circuit that can not boost the voltage of the 18650 as it drains down to maintain output. The easiest way to determine if the light you are considering will actually run at full output through the duration of the discharge on an 18650, is just to see what batteries it is compatible with. If it's an 18650 ONLY light, then it's probably regulated on an 18650, if the description says something like "1x18650, 2xCR123, 2xRCR123" for power sources, the it is NOT going to run at full output on the 18650, accept maybe fresh off the charger for the first few minutes.

Dereelight offers modules for the CL1H that are specifically designed for 18650s, and the JetBeam 18650 lights are all fully regulated on an 18650, with no support for higher input voltages.

Personally... I've been doing a lot of "battle" in my own little world, trying to decide which option is really better. A steadily diminishing output 18650 powered light will offer extended runtime, and feedback in the form of dimming before the battery dies. A light that maintains regulation is providing the level of output that the light is expected to generate every time you use it. I think both have their applications, but it can be tough to decide what is best.

-----------------------------

Having said ALLLLLL this, I'm very tempted to just tell you to grab one of the "2-mode" P7 lights that run on a single 18650 from dealextreme. They are like $40 give or take. I've been tempted to check one out, but the issue of reliability and long term value and usefulness gets in the way.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

My experience was different - it had a rather throwy beam, even with the OP reflector. This turned out to be an emitter fault, as the Cree in it had its lens slightly offcentered.

I swapped it out for a SSC P4 (there's a thread about this somewhere) and was very happy with it... until three days ago, when the driver gave up the ghost for no discernible reason. :(

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not many 18650 floodies out there that are stock.
I have a WE P7 sniper and like it very much. So if you can justify the price for it, there's little else that can compete currently without going custom.
The only real competitor is the Elektrolumens EDC-P7. Nice simple direct drive 18650; Wayne makes great stuff.

I don't think there are many single emitter lights that will be noticeably brighter than your old one. Both the TK11 and M20 are poorly regulated on 18650. I have just gotten to test out an Eagletac T10L which has great 18650 regulation and a simple high and medium setting much like the TK11. The beam is a decent balance of flood and throw. Less ringy than most cree lights at least. Not a bad one to look into.

There are some other options if brightness isn't the primary goal but it sounds like you want brighter.

LowTEC

Enlightened

....I don't think there are many single emitter lights that will be noticeably brighter than your old one. Both the TK11 and M20 are poorly regulated on 18650. I have just gotten to test out an Eagletac T10L which has great 18650 regulation and a simple high and medium setting much like the TK11. The beam is a decent balance of flood and throw. Less ringy than most cree lights at least. Not a bad one to look into.

There are some other options if brightness isn't the primary goal but it sounds like you want brighter.

I think I'm getting close!

I have come to the conclusion that the TK11 and M20 is too throwy for what I want. I like the simple hi/med mode of the T10L and it looks like one of the floodier ones. How's the brightness/beam pattern of this thing compare to Jet III ST and CL1H, anyone knows?

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened

Floody and cheap, worth a shot

[Link removed - DM51]

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was going to recommend the TR-801 as well. It's a great light. (My review is the top one at DX)

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I'm getting close!

I have come to the conclusion that the TK11 and M20 is too throwy for what I want. I like the simple hi/med mode of the T10L and it looks like one of the floodier ones. How's the brightness/beam pattern of this thing compare to Jet III ST and CL1H, anyone knows?

Brightness if pretty good. The beam pattern as I said is better tha most cree based lights, but not nearly as smooth as an SSC or a nice old Luxeon. The CL1H is throwy. From the beamshots of the ST that I've seen it is more throwy thna I expected it to be.

While I doubt that the Eagletac actually puts out the advertised lumens it definitely pushes the 200 lumen ballpark figure. You can find one for $65 at PTS before CPF discount so it's definitely a decent bargain imho.