Lookingfor advice

cobminor

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have been reading these pages for a while with the intention of getting a good LED flashlight. I have, of course, been through a confused stage, which I am not quite out of. I am heading into some surface caves this summer, nothing like caving proper but still as dark as dark. Given that my only Flashlights are old, the best being a Maglight, I think some upgrading is in order. I have decided that the Dereelight DBS would be a useful tool. I also want one that gives more of a spill than a throw, for close up use. I have considered the Fenix P3d, or the Dereelight CL1H. I am asking for advice as to these choices (all of them), as you guys certainly know more than I. Thanks for any replies.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The DBS should be good for spotting thins further away, but a headlamp would be helpful too. The DBS might be too powerful, depending on the size of the cave.

As for a smaller light for closer use, how close are you speaking of? Depending on how dark or big the cave is, the P3D might be enough. Lights seem to throw further when your eyes are adapted to the darkness.

As for the Maglite, check this thread.

:welcome:

cobminor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick response. The caves are Lava tubes, so about 20Ft. dia and some times visible for 150 yards ahead.

What about the TK 11?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IMO the TK11 is too big to be EDC but it can work well(especially if you won't be carrying the light in your pocket). I'd pick the P3D because it has more modes and is smaller. The Olight T25 throws further then the P3D-CE Q5(T25, P3D reviews, the T25 has a narrower beam), so that might be a good choice. 5% off coupon at Battery junction is "CPF2006".

cobminor

Newly Enlightened
The TK11 thought was to use common batteries, the extra modes of the P3D may prove more useful though. Thanks again for your advice.