Need outfitted for caving

Marduke

Flashaholic
I am interested in joining a local caving group (Huntsville Grotto for those of you in the area). My caving experience is pretty much limited to tourist caves, and not really any wild caves. From what I understand, they will loan me a hardhat and headlamp for the first couple trips, until I decide if I'm all in, or it isn't for me. At least for now, these are horizontal caves, not vertical.

I am looking for some recommendations for specific lights well suited for this activity. I would like to standardize on AA NiMH cells except where noted below. I am mainly looking for three lights.

First, a headlamp of course. It needs to attach well to a helmet. Preferably something with the battery pack on the rear for weight balance. Also, preferably something which could easily switch from high to low with a gloved hand. Choice of med/low flood and high throw is big plus. No need for secondary colors here (red, blue, etc). I am thinking of the Energizer Cree headlamp (if I can find it) since it has the flip down diffuser. It has the superfluous colors, but oh well... You can't win them all. If I get it and like it, I may attempt to replace the green and red with white Nichia GS's. Maybe wait for the Fenix headlamp? Price <$50

Secondly, I want a hand held light to be holstered on a belt for easy access. Again, preferably AA, but there seems to be a lack of quality, 2xAA throwers. In the lack of any better suggestions, I am considering the TK11 for this role. Last time I was in a cave, my NDI was wonderful at illuminating things close up, much better than the tour guide's MagCharger. However, the high humidity in the cave just ate up the beam within 40 feet. So, I want a light with some decent throw. Preferably <$50, definitely <$100.

For a third light, I will probably keep my NDI in the pack, so I'm pretty set there. Other suggestions still welcome however.

For a true emergency backup, I will be wearing an E0, and have an E01 clipped inside the pack, both on L92's. I'm pretty well set here also.

Do I need a small lantern? Something like the AA folding Energizer one? Also, what about a UV light to fluoresce minerals?

What am I forgetting/overlooking? Suggestions, opinions, inside, etc are all appreciated. This also included help beyond lighting.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
For the headlamp I would say maybe a zebralight or the petzl myo xp looks nice
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Petzl_MYO_XP_E83P2.php

For the 2xaa I don't know if you're going to find anything much more powerful than the tk11 that runs on aa's, you might have to go to a different battery size.

I would recommend checking out coleman's website for a lantern, they have quite nice led lanterns that all collapse for compactness. I have one of their bigger ones but they have some small ones too.
I would also consider maybe upgrading your eo or e1 to a lod, you know you want to.

Marduke

Flashaholic
For the headlamp I would say maybe a zebralight or the petzl myo xp looks nice
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Petzl_MYO_XP_E83P2.php

For the 2xaa I don't know if you're going to find anything much more powerful than the tk11 that runs on aa's, you might have to go to a different battery size.

I would recommend checking out coleman's website for a lantern, they have quite nice led lanterns that all collapse for compactness. I have one of their bigger ones but they have some small ones too.
I would also consider maybe upgrading your eo or e1 to a lod, you know you want to.

I want a ZebraLight, but I want the main headlamp to be something with a little more output, and a little more throw when I want it.

I have all three, the E0, E01, and LOD Q4. I choose the E0/E01 because the runtime on L92 is around 12-15 hours constant brightness, with over another 24 of moon mode. The LOD on low can't touch that.

Citivolus

Enlightened
In a 2xAA form factor using NiMH, you can get 200 lumens from a Jet-I Pro EX, or 180 from an L2D Q5. The upcoming 2AA Fenix light may suit the bill, but it also has a lower overall output despite being focusable. What kind of run time are you looking for?

If you have to go away from AA, do you prefer dual CR123A or 18650 power sources? My Raidfire Spear has great throw, but may be too bulky for squeezing around in caves. Something like the Jet-II I.B.S. may be a good alternative if do you can't find a good compact thrower in AA format.

If you want to compare spot lux @ 1m to predict throw, the NDI is around 1400-2000 on NiMH (from reviews, not my numbers, reported numbers are widely variable), the L2D Q5 is 3k, Jet-I Pro EX is 4k, the Jet-II I.B.S. 8-9k, and the Spear 21-25k.

Regards,
Eric

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
RC-G2 with new driver (DX sku 6880 or 7880) and a Q5 for throw, though it's only 1xAA.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

Burgess

Flashaholic
Good Luck in your caving exploits, Marduke. :thumbsup:

Please write about your experiences, and let us know

what worked well, and what didn't.

Caving certainly is an ideal hobby for Flashaholics, eh ?

:wave:
_

snoboy

Newly Enlightened
The one caver I know says everybody he knows likes the PT Apex. One thing he mentioned to me is that throw is not a big deal in a cave. Most of the time you want a really good close up light. Once in a while, in a big room, or a long drop, you'll want a thrower to light up the whole area.

I would ask the group you're going with. They will have the best idea of what works in a cave and what your needs really are.

sabre7

Enlightened
FWIW, I read in another thread about caving a while back where someone recommended Rebel emitters in caves because they tend to render colors more realistically than Crees on things like formations, mineral deposits, and cave critters. The caving group probably has tried and true recommendations of their own that are worth considering too.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a 2 AA flashlight, how about a Streamlight (2AA) LED ProPolymer? $17.95 @ BrightGuy, 25 lumens for 18hrs. (more with L92's, I want to say 28hrs. but not positive). My .02 FWIW

The Streamlight ProPolymer 2AA LED flashlight has a tightly focused beam and convenient tailcap switch for momentary on and constant on/off. With a bright 30,000 hour LED, Streamlight 2AA LED ProPolymer is more cost-effective than a conventional flashlight because you won't need expensive replacement bulbs.

Features of Streamlight ProPolymer 2AA LED flashlight:
- 0.5 watt bright 30,000 hour high flux LED; no need for replacement bulbs
- corrosion and impact resistant
- waterproof and O-ring sealed (not dive rated)