Has this ever been done?

tzzoooma

Newly Enlightened
A flashlight with a floody beam on one end and on the other end, another more focused throwing beam, with switches on the side?

Seems it would be relatively easy to devise, and would be fairly practical? Has this been done before?

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
I'm no expert, but I feel like there are a number of technical and logistical reasons why that would both not be worth it and not be possible. First off, its just much easier to do something like a modded mag where you can focus the beam to your choosing.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
As portezbie says it would not be so easy, a light with a focusable beam would fare just as well and be easier to manufacture.

Nice idea though.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I haven't seen a flashlight exactly like you describe, but I have at least three lights that have independent floody and spot beams.
One is a B&D SnakeLight with two lamps in two different reflectors. One shoots straight out the end and the other at roughly 90-degrees to the side. The switch cycles through Spot/Flood/Off.
I don't remember the name of the other, but it has a spot beam facing forward and a flood beam that comes on when the side-mounted sub-head was swung out. It was designed for walking, with the spot beam pointing ahead and the swing-out flood facing down. Both bulbs could burn at the same time for that application.
The third is an Energizer 4AA light with a lensed 5mm LED spot at one end and a mini-fluorescent flood along the side.
All pretty crappy lights, but they work and at least give you an on-board spare lamp that can be instantly activated. I believe the walking light also had the batteries wired separately, sort of like a reserve set if you were only using one lamp at a time.

Alero

Enlightened
I've had a similar idea. I've always wanted to make a custom tailcap for a D cell maglite that had a single 5mm LED in it. That way, I'd have my big LED/reflector at one end, but I'd also have a small light that could run a gazillion hours in energencies at the other end.

The problem is that making a switch that works and is also reliable is a pretty big problem.

Illum

Flashaholic
A flashlight with a floody beam on one end and on the other end, another more focused throwing beam, with switches on the side?

Seems it would be relatively easy to devise, and would be fairly practical? Has this been done before?

yes, look over at wolf-eyes lights
the simplest way for this to work is a reflectored light on one end, a cluster LED on the other end

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/wolf_6m.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/wolf_m90x.htm

theres more lights like this out there, wiseLED is another

Norm

Retired Administrator
How about making it a twisty, with a different colour led head on each end ?
Peak have made double ended battery tubes in the past so you could choose two different heads to suit you needs.
Norm

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I love my dual-use/end Mag:

Cap1.jpg