L2D Q5 making noise

jbosman1013

Enlightened
One of my co-workers wanted me to get him a nice light, so after a little discussion he decided on a L2D Q5. I received the light today from the fenix store and carefully took it from its package to give it a lube and inspection and the first thing I noticed was the head of the light was a different shade of black than the body. I was not really concerned about that but the body does look like a old one and the head looks like HAlll. once i put some batteries in and turned it on, it started making an awful high pitched noise (like a smoke detector) in turbo, strobe, and SOS, is this normal with the new ones or should it not be this loud(FYI you can hear it from over 10 feet away) I am not sure what the average current draw is on these lights but its pulling 1.56 amps on L91 energizers. On the good side the LED is fairly centered and has a Q5 with the shiny backing and a tint on par with my malkoff drop-in's but the beam is kinda floody. Please note if you are above a certian age you will not be able to hear this noise, this is not intended to offend anyone its just fact.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine makes some noise starting up, but only for a few seconds. It's most likely coming from the head, but remove the tail and bridge with some wire to see what happens- the tailcap could be the culprit.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine have never made a hi-pitched whine that could be heard over 10' away.

were the cells fully charged or fresh, as the case may be?

try another set of cells. can't say that i recall the behavior of the L2D when the supply voltage gets low, but i've noticed with some other lights that when the supply voltage gets low and the drive electronics have to work harder that some hi-freq whine is now heard.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that if it can be heard over 10 feet away then something is wrong.

The anodizing on fenix models can be inconsistent, it is still all HAIII.

Does it come with the new reverse polarity protection head?

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I think that if it can be heard over 10 feet away then something is wrong.

The anodizing on fenix models can be inconsistent, it is still all HAIII.

Does it come with the new reverse polarity protection head?

not sure how to tell if its a reverse polarity head but the sound is coming from the tailcap. I gave the light to my co-worker today and he was very happy minus the noise. I will contact fenix store on monday but I have a feeling they will say that it is normal
icon9.gif
Sad to see that fenix is letting this pass on QC.

tennisplyr3

Newly Enlightened
not sure how to tell if its a reverse polarity head but the sound is coming from the tailcap. I gave the light to my co-worker today and he was very happy minus the noise. I will contact fenix store on monday but I have a feeling they will say that it is normal
icon9.gif
Sad to see that fenix is letting this pass on QC.

this doesn't just happen with fenix lights. did you not read the link i posted above?

basically, it's the regulation circuit that causes it -- aka the inductor. it is normal, and it's not an issue with QC.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not normal to be heard from 10 feet.

Have you tried shorting between the battery and body tube? That'll definitely eliminate the tailcap as the culprit.

You can tell if it's a reverse polarity head because if you insert the battery the wrong way then the dimples prevent the -ve side from contacting the +ve contact. If it's not a reverse polarity head, then the battery -ve can touch the +ve contact.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I do know of this issue with other lights the same thing happens with my SF L2 on low but it is not even close to how loud the fenix is. I know its the tail cap because when I was testing the current draw with my multimeter it was not making any noise, if this is acceptable in the Qc dep. I would hate to see what else passes by. Sorry don't have the light anymore so I am unable to see if there is polarity protection.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that case you could ask for a new tailcap from whoever you bought it from and swap the tailcaps.

Fenix Freak

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I am new to the CPF's. I recently purchased a Fenix L2D Q5 Premium from fenix-store and right off the bat I noticed that the light made a high pitched whining noise only in strobe, SOS and turbo modes. FYI I am 20 years old, which explains why I am able to hear it. Should I buy another tailcap or try and beg fenix-store for a replacement tailcap if this is for certain the "problem part" on these series of lights.:wave:

gerG

Newly Enlightened
I just tested my L2D (not Q5) and P3D (Q5) with an audio test mic and RTA. Nothing of note up to 22 khz. I also tried the zebralight on high, and got a mild tone at 2.2 khz.

I have another L2D at work. I will check it later this week.

Sorry, but those are the only samples that I have to check.

edit: I am using NiMH in the L2D. There could be some battery influence.

gerG

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean these things actually make operational noise now? :laughing:

I think I'll stick with good ol' on/off one level lights. Something like that would drive me batty trying to enjoy an outdoor setting.

Fenix Freak

Newly Enlightened
Actually it is very anoying, but it is bearable as long as it is about 2 feet away. I wish i could test mine and send in the graph of the noise.

edit: I am also using NiMH batteries they are 2100mAh very low discharge Powerex IMEDION's

Last edited:

susuman

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have a P3D (will reverse polarity protection) with no hissing sound at all, but I order another unit P2D Q5 that has loud hissing sound (forgot which mode, but it is not the LOW, it is mode with high brightness : Turbo, High, Strobe etc).

I complain to the supplier, they said it is the new inductor that cause the humming sound, it is nothing wrong with it, but I cannot stand with that sound. But they said most of the P2D has hissing sound, loud or quited, so they ship me a P2d Q5 without the reverse polarity protection, so i think it is the old P2D Q5.

So i wonder, if I reverse the polarity of the P2D, will the flashlight damage :sick2:?

passive101

Enlightened
I have a P2D with a Q5 and there is no sound. If there was a sound I would return it.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I swear it wasn't like this before but my L2D is making a hissing sound when on turbo and on strobe not :thinking:. Just enough noise if the tailcap is right against my ear. Interesting...