Bonus "butt warmer"

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I dropped by the new Ace hardware in my area for some toilet repair parts (The flush handle on the toilet at my workplace broke off so we were flushing the toilet by reaching into the tank and lifting the flapper) During my visit to the hardware store, I had to go use their restroom but after finishing, I noticed the toilet was feeling warm to touch shortly after flushing. I felt the supply line connection only to find out it was also hot to touch.

The reason ? Some one plumbed the HOT water line to the toilet !

On my way out of the restroom, I ran into the manager who was talking with two other customers and told him about the hot water plumbed to the toilet. All of us started laughing about it and the two other customers mentioned that they had also done the same thing (by accident) on a construction project.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
its a disinfectant, its an odor dampener, it'll cut whatever grease you happen to deposit, and hey...no more "cold seat" on the cold days:thumbsup:

I actually thought about plumbing HOT tap into the toilet, I didn't know this was a MISTAKE:ohgeez:
I wonder whats the life of those flappers [:lolsign:] considering rubber seals better in hotwater....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've always thought that porcelain tended to do rather poorly (cracking, shattering, etc.) when exposed to hot water - especially after a prolonged period of disuse.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
O I forgot all about the wax bowl ring...two or more flushes in relatively quick succession might melt this ring, causing the fixture to leak and subsequently (later on) causing an unpleasant odour in the bathroom. :green: :sick2: :green:

Illum

Flashaholic
Not to mention that hot water will melt the wax ring.

mmm, last time when our porcelain throne had to be replaced after I accidentally tossed a metal flashlight against the inner wall :green: there was no wax ring, but instead a rubber sleeve of sorts....maybe they changed the design?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmm, last time when our porcelain throne had to be replaced after I accidentally tossed a metal flashlight against the inner wall :green: there was no wax ring, but instead a rubber sleeve of sorts....maybe they changed the design?

I installed a new toilet upstairs with a wax ring under it.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Sometimes people will plumb the toilet into the hot water line on purpose to prevent the tank and bowl from being cold and condensing moisture out of the air.

Also, er... "#2" has a fair amount of undigested fat in it sometimes, and warm flush water can keep everything moving in the right direction.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
If the supply pipe is in the attic, the "cold" water could actually be hotter than the water in the water heater... Ask me how I know this.. LOL

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats a neoprene ring; mostly used in commercial applications. We use the wax rings at work anyway :whistle:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neoprene gaskets are glued to the horn on the bottom of the bowl. This decreases the need for replacement every time you pull a toilet to dig out a Blackberry or sandwhich bag :mad:

Illum

Flashaholic
How do you know??

it works like this, at least thats by my experience

Traditionally all the "hydraulics" are piped in the foundation, but for establishments with an expansion not listed on the original blueplan or if the building is aged and decided to have its "hydraulics" replaced its usually plumbed "upstairs" then routed down to fixtures. If its a hot water supply line its usually covered with a foam insulator while the cold supply is bare. Down here in FL in hot summer days the temperature in the attic can reach well above 100 degrees. Given sufficient time most of the water housed in pipes upstairs will reach basically that temperature or even higher.
On summer days I find that using the "hot" water faucet the water is usable before the hot tap from the WH reaches the fixture I'm using while the "cold tap" is basically unusable unless you let it run for awhile [In a big house, "let it run" will cost you from 10 seconds to 10 minutes depending on how far you are from the county supply line. :green: