My P3D Disappointment

mskerritt7

Newly Enlightened
So I received my much anticipated P3D Q5 Premium and I'm a little disappointed with the beam quality. I'm sure it's because I've been spoiled with the (IMO) perfect beam of the TK10, but comparatively, the beam of the P3D contains an additional outer ring, the beam is slightly off center, and there is a center dark spot at very close-up range.

Does anyone know if the P3D Q5 CE (non Premium version) with the textured reflector has these same issues? Compared to the TK10, my P3D has a less textured reflector, so that has to be responsible for the difference in beam quality, no? I'd gladly sacrifice lumens for a sharper beam.

Thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Those rings are typical of Cree's. The vast majority of Cree based lights have them to some extent.

As for the hole at very close range, that is also very common for many lights. But how often do you use a light at a range of less than a few inches?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK10 has a beautiful beam. The P3D is also more of a flood type light compared to the TK10. I have to admit I like the size of the P3D much better but I like the beam quality of the TK10 much better.

The only difference between the 160 lumen P3D and the 215 lumen P3D is the lumens. Beam quality will differ slightly from light to light regardless of which version you have.

I have no dark hole in my beam but I have seen a P3D with the dark spot you mention in yours. If you purchased it new, I would return it for another light.

Hope this helps.

:welcome:

Bill

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you get your P3D from? Is it a smooth reflector, or textured? Can you post a picture of it?

Anytime you are dealing with a small reflector and a Cree you usually get Cree rings.

The big question is, how does it look in real use when you aren't shining it on a white wall?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you're very picky about beam smoothness, you might try to find a P3D with a Luxeon Rebel 100 emitter (one seen here at Lighthound: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2814), which has a warmer tint but most notably has a completely smooth hotspot/corona/spill, no rings or artifacts.

The Crees do better with a textured/orange peel reflector, but you're still going to notice the "Cree Donut", the darker area and ring that seperate the hotspot from the spill. The Rebels have no such irregularity, and are usually considered to have the best beam profile of all the Fenix models/emitters.

mskerritt7

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replies.

I picked this one up at Fenix-store. The reflector is, what i'll call, very slightly textured. I'm not positive, but what I think Fenix did here was try to get away from making both a smooth and textured model, and applied the attributes of both to this one.

I spend part of my time as a paramedic, so sometimes i do need a beam to work at close range. I decided on the P3D because it'd be lighter on my belt than the TK10, and I really like the different output modes.

Maybe I'll just e-mail fenix-store and see what they recommend. I'll look into the rebel also.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not unusual to have a halo on cree lights. A lightly textured reflector will not be enough to sort this out.

My buddies TK10 has a perfect beam in comparison to the smaller reflector Fenix models.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
About the second complaint:

ALL Cree, Seoul and Luxon LED-lights will have a dark spot in the middle at very close range.

Thats simple geometric optic and the way a reflector works.

How pronounced this is depends on the deepness and the diameter of the reflector, but its there.

husky20

Banned
I love the beam on my p3d rebel i think its perfect i have never seen any dots or anything wrong with it at any distance and i have had it since it first came out.I forgot to ad that i bought it from the fenix-store.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
I have to agree, the Rebels are some of the nicest beams all around from an LED.

The one's I got from Lighthound are excellent.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
I spend part of my time as a paramedic, so sometimes i do need a beam to work at close range. I decided on the P3D because it'd be lighter on my belt than the TK10, and I really like the different output modes.

About the second complaint:

ALL Cree, Seoul and Luxon LED-lights will have a dark spot in the middle at very close range.

Thats simple geometric optic and the way a reflector works.

How pronounced this is depends on the deepness and the diameter of the reflector, but its there.

A very valid issue and a very valid answer. Every light I have does this at very close range. I can understand the need for a light that works at such a close range as I myself need the same thing as I am an IT engineer. Working in small spaces, such as while working on a laptop, requires use of a light at very close range. A flood beam is better suited to my work so the light I keep in my laptop bag is a gen-3 Inova X5. This light has a great flood effect and really works well when needed at close range for two reasons. First, the 5 LEDs produce good flood light all the way in to just inches. If you get down to 1/2 an inch or so, the 5 LEDs will be visible on what you're pointing the light at. But since I use it at 2" range minimum, this is not an issue. Second, the lower light output is still plenty bright for my needs, but it's not blinding at close range. It is, after all a tool, and this one is best suited for what I use it for.

Now, for outdoor use, I bought an Inova T2 last week. This is a single mode light but its output and beam are fantastic for the size of the light. It's not very well suited for indoor, close range use as the beam becomes so focused and bright that it is blinding to look at. Also, shiny electronic components and gear reflecting that beam at your eyes isn't good. Still, the spot turns into a donut at about 3" or less with this light. It's the same way for all of my reflector based lights. As IMSabbel said, this is how reflectors work.

Still, if there is a defect in the light, return it for a replacement. Once you get used to the normal anomalies of Cree LEDs (the outer halo), I'm sure you'll find it a great light to have.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for replies.

I picked this one up at Fenix-store. The reflector is, what i'll call, very slightly textured. I'm not positive, but what I think Fenix did here was try to get away from making both a smooth and textured model, and applied the attributes of both to this one.

Maybe I'll just e-mail fenix-store and see what they recommend. I'll look into the rebel also.
mskerr, email our customer service department at [email protected]
and they'll take care of you. You'll need to send it in.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went fishing last night and used my p3d ce only clipped on my hat. It was the first generation with smooth reflector and as ringy as it gets. Didn't bother me at all thou, I can't even notice the rings.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
So I received my much anticipated P3D Q5 Premium and I'm a little disappointed with the beam quality. I'm sure it's because I've been spoiled with the (IMO) perfect beam of the TK10, but comparatively, the beam of the P3D contains an additional outer ring, the beam is slightly off center, and there is a center dark spot at very close-up range.

Does anyone know if the P3D Q5 CE (non Premium version) with the textured reflector has these same issues? Compared to the TK10, my P3D has a less textured reflector, so that has to be responsible for the difference in beam quality, no? I'd gladly sacrifice lumens for a sharper beam.

Thanks.

I received the same light, (premium q5 p3d) from Fenix Store, with OP reflector. I am pretty picky about beam quality, and found mine to be nearly perfect. I just did a white wall test with mine, and don't see the rings you are describing. I am wondering if you recieved a faulty light. (This can happen with even the best lights!!) Customer Service at Fenix Store is great!! They will get you a replacement. Don't give up on this light. (I can't speak to the Rebel model, however, because I have never had one. This may have an even better beam- but I don't see how it could be much better than the P3D Q5 they sent me.)

Edit: Just re-checked light with white wall up to 8 inches after re-reading your original post. No rings until around 8-12 inches from the wall. I also worked as an EMT for a very short time, and carried a second small light, (single led) for checking pupils. This also ensured that I had a backup light with me at all times. (And kept me from blinding people since my other light was a SF 8x with only one mode!)

Good Luck and Don't Give Up!!

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2D has a much "longer" donut than any other light I own at close range- most disappear in ~2 inches, my L2D is about a foot.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Actually I stand corrected on close range use - my ROV Sportsman Xtreme 3W (aka Nuwai X3, also sold under a couple more names) and my MagLED 3xAA can both be used at close range without the "donut" effect, but they both are still too bright for use at that range - too much light, too concentrated at one spot. Still prefer the X5 for close range use.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Actually I stand corrected on close range use - my ROV Sportsman Xtreme 3W (aka Nuwai X3, also sold under a couple more names) and my MagLED 3xAA can both be used at close range without the "donut" effect, but they both are still too bright for use at that range - too much light, too concentrated at one spot. Still prefer the X5 for close range use.

Both of those use a Lux III, and are variable focus.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Actually the ROV light I have is a low bin Rebel with OP reflector, while the MagLED is a Lux III. They seemed to have glued the head in place on the ROV light as I can see where it is screwed down but it won't budge with pretty significant force.