My first Fenix !!!

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
I finally decided to bite the bullet and try a Fenix. I wanted a small multi-level light without PWM (drives me nutz) that had enough throw for locating my dogs and whatever they are after in my back yard. So, an L1D-CE Q5 seemed to fit the bill.

Now I know why all the fuss about Fenix. This is one nice, well made and bright little light. I really like that it starts on low and steps up from there instead of the other way around. And turbo reaches out well enough even with the textured reflector.

Nice tint, fantastic beam, no PWM, good battery life and well made. Plus the folks at Fenix-Store were awesome.

The only changes I would like would be a "grippier" finish, a lower low instead of SOS, and a long throw forward clickie that didn[t register mode change until the end of it's stroke. But I guess if it had all that I might not want to buy another light....ok, who am I kidding!!! I'll always want another light.....

tygger

Enlightened
They are nice little lights, but the body has the texture of my maglite's reflector; smooth.

Bicycle inner tube fixes that. 2-3 layers works great and makes a fat little "grippy" light. Make sure its a road bike (small diameter) inner tube. Mountain bike sized (ranger band) tubes are too large.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bicycle inner tube fixes that. 2-3 layers works great and makes a fat little "grippy" light. Make sure its a road bike (small diameter) inner tube. Mountain bike sized (ranger band) tubes are too large.
Bicycle innertube works well and that is what I have done to mine. Remember to wash it first as innertube can make you're hands smell rubbery.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I find the L1D series of lights to be a tad too big for EDC in my pocket. I have an L0D CE Q4 on my keyring and am quite happy with it. It's conveniently accessible wherever I go. For more light I carry a P1D CE in my briefcase or backpack (depending on the season).

Gado

Newly Enlightened
I love my L1D Q5 too, i have taken it everywhere I go, even the shower! Fenix has the forward clicky upgrade that fits the L1D but I don't know if its long throw and all that.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
I love my L1D Q5 too, i have taken it everywhere I go, even the shower! Fenix has the forward clicky upgrade that fits the L1D but I don't know if its long throw and all that.

Shower.

You're serious?

The only time I have taken a light into the shower is to test water resistance and then proceed with the actual shower. Saying you love your light so much you take it to the shower is just a little bit scary.

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
I find the L1D series of lights to be a tad too big for EDC in my pocket. I have an L0D CE Q4 on my keyring and am quite happy with it. It's conveniently accessible wherever I go. For more light I carry a P1D CE in my briefcase or backpack (depending on the season).

Most of the time I'm wearing carpenter type jeans with the long pocket on the leg so my EDC is right at my fingertips. I have a Hyperion CE-R that I quit carrying because it was just too small...I was always fishing in that pocket for it!! Plus I don't care for twisty switches as a go to light. But the 1 aa form factor is just right for that pocket, easily accessible. Used to carry an Inova T1 but it was just a bit too thick and long...great light though.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Congrats on the first Fenix, have 3 myself, I totally agree that the smaller ones need more grip, hopefully Fenix is reading this...:wave:

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting an L1D myself, although the $55 price tag scares me a bit. Until now I've only bought budget lights for family members.

JamisonM

Enlightened
What about heat shrink? I was thinking 1" is probably what I should be looking for. Quick idea, if you did it right and had the right stuff, I wonder if you could have a faux strike bezel?

DrAg0n

Banned
I got both a P3D and P2D, although the chart says there is only a 35 lu diff, Its a bit obvious...

FenixChart3.jpg

sabre7

Enlightened
The only changes I would like would be a "grippier" finish, a lower low instead of SOS, and a long throw forward clickie that didn[t register mode change until the end of it's stroke. But I guess if it had all that I might not want to buy another light....ok, who am I kidding!!! I'll always want another light.....[/quote]

Go hide your wallet-- never heard of anyone owning just 1 Fenix! :thumbsup:

johndoeslo

Newly Enlightened
In response to the comment about the shower...

I agree it is a little silly to take a light into the shower with you, but I can personally attest to the fact that the shower is the absolute worst place to be during a power outage. My old apartment was on a notoriously bad power grid and we had frequent outages. One summer I was taking a shower in the early evening getting ready to go out when the power cut off. The inside of the bathroom was PITCH black and I had to stumble through my apartment sopping wet to find a small flashlight so that I could then find a big flashlight (I was still using D maglights at the time).