good led flashlight advice needed for a newbe...

koti

Enlightened
This is my first post here - sory for marching in on You like this especialy with what Im about to write ;

Im a spoiled brat with money to spend, I need advice on a best quality money can buy, kick *** led flashlight - money is no object.
I have a 350mw green laser using 18650 Li Ion cells so it would be nice if I could use these cells for the flashlight as well (but not a must)

So what would You guys recomend ?
Im a newbe to flashlights - I do have some knowledge about laser technology.

maxa beam

Banned
Um, tone it down on the language, this is a family forum, please.

Welcome to CPF. Check out The Welcome Mat at https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172991 before doing anything else.

What do you mean? Bright? Small? Long run-time? (Pick two.)

If money is no object, I wouldn't stick with LED, personally. A forum member has a $30,000 512,000 lumen searchlight he got somewhere, you might be able to find something similar.

Let me tell you, this isn't just any hobby, man. Some of the better lights can get you in the thousands. Money WILL be an object.

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
this would be a good place to start. You don't necessarily have to buy an M60F, though- the F is great for flood, but you could buy a more throwy P60.

Also, you'll probably want to look at some cheap P7 lights for ridiculous amounts of light. However, for really powerful lights you want incan, and for stupidity, high wattage HID's and spotlights are worth looking in to.

koti

Enlightened
Sory for my language - toned down now.
$30K for a spot light is definately crazy, in this case Im backing out - money would matter :)
I payed $1.500 for my laser and I consider this crazy enough...
Naw...I was thinking more about something portable that uses say 2 18650 cells ( I have 5 or 6 18650 / 2600mah cells with a good charger) and that would fit in a backpack, car, etc.
That doesnt mean I would mind a crazy amount of light coming from it :)
This little thingy You gave me a link to looks realy nice : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190833

Im ready to order the < $48 black 2x18650 body > but Im not sure about which bulbs and which reflectors/sockets I would need ?
Im located in Warsaw/Poland so I will need international shipping.
Please help me out choose the right bulb & accesories for this body.

Thanks for the tip :)

koti

Enlightened
Following Your suggestion I just ordered and payed for the following :

1 x $48 black 2x18650 body
1 x $26 for socket/reflector (VLOP)
1 x $14 extra reflector (HS)
1 x $6 Strion bulb (With purchase of socket/reflector or body)
1 x $6 TL-3 bulb (With purchase of socket/reflector or body)
2 x $9 CL1499 bulb (With purchase of socket/reflector or body)
2 x $10 FM1794 bulb (With purchase of socket/reflector or body)
1 x $8 internationaly (any quantity)

Total = $146

I guess I should have asked before I actualy ordered and payed but is this setup ok and will it serve me well ?

Thanks again.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
A surefire 6P, the body you bought and any P60 drop-in. A P60 is a standard drop-in, and you can get floody drop-ins, or drop-ins more geared to throw, drop-in geared to super long runtime and drop-ins geared to super high output.

Strion is designed for 1xli-ion. 2xli-ion will blow the bulb. The F-1794 is the brightest bulb there.

All of the ones you selected there are incandescent bulbs, without the advantages of an LED. You probably want to look into LED drop-ins as well (and possibly another 2x18650 body). Bear in mind you'll need a surefire 6P (get the basic incan version to save a couple of bucks) to install the 2x18650 tubes into.

Wish I could spend $146, then say "oh, is this ok guys?" :)

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
You can buy the Wolf Eyes Sniper R2/Q5 flashlight which will take a 18650 battery. It's a small light with plenty of power.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im a spoiled brat with money to spend

Cost no object your best bet outside of the custom titanium stuff I'm not the familiar with would be a HDS U60XRGT modified with a SSC with a knurled tail and a 18650 tube. It will probably run you about $250 for the light, $50 for the LED mod and $100 for the tube.

Be sure to ask Kid9P how easy it is to find this stuff. :welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What you want is to have some one custom make you a flashlight with a Seoul P7 or the up coming 4 die Cree so you can have 900 lumen at the LED.

What's the most you can spend?

:welcome:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

If price is really not an objective, you should visit the Custom & Modified section of this forum. There are many lights that combine form and functions. The most expensive LED light I've seen is the Cool Fall's Spy 007 at about $1,000. As crazy as it sounds, they were all sold within 2 minutes. I only saw one sold in the secondary market a few weeks ago for about $1,200. :faint:

I'm a fan of McGizmo's lights. His titanium versions are approximately $500+. Again, his lights are sold in waves, and they're usually sold out within minutes. If you're interested in one, you could buy it from the secondary marketplace in the Custom BST section. They're usually more than what McGizmo charges so expect to spend above $500+ (aluminum are generally cheaper).

If you're interested in keychain light, you could consider Draco. The titanium version cost $300+. Another small light (not too keychainable) is the Aeon, which cost $400.

Lumencraftt makes the titanium GatLight, which sells for about $400. They are going to come out with a new Polaris flashlight shortly, and the price varies between models.

Arc came out with the Arc6. The first wave of 50 is currently selling at eBay. So far, about 20ish are sold, and the cheapest I've seen is $400 and highest is about $750.

Going into non-custom, SureFire has a limited edition Titan, which retails for $500. Only 100 were made, and they were sold out pretty quickly. I've seen a good number being sold in the marketplace between $500 - $650. Also, SureFire is going to release the Invictus and Optimus soon. The Optimus is going to be selling for $279, and Invictus is unknown at the moment.

HDS system has their Ra Twisty that sells between $165 - $200. They're coming out with their Ra Clicky in a couple of months; price unknown at this point.

Also, you could consider modding your existing flashlight. I recently got my Surefire L1 modded by MilkySpit. I wrote a review here. The flashlight + mod will cost you over $200.

That's about all I could think about for now. Good luck in your hunt.

P.S. I wish money was no objective to me. :broke:

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too late, ttran97 recycled his transgressor into a diet Coke cans. :nana:

If I had that kind of money to spend on a single flashlight

I would buy Ttran97's Milkyspit M3 Transgressor

look here

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200076

You even have money leftover to buy some AW 17500 batteries and charger

He has withdrawn it but if you PM him he might sell it to you

koti

Enlightened
Thanks for all the tips guys :)
I will dig into the subject a little more and think about what to get.
Meanwhile, I changed my order with "fivemega" and ended up with the following for starters (thanks for clarification that the strion bulb will not work with two 18650's) :

1 x $48 black 2x18650 body
1 x $26 for socket/reflector (VLOP)
1 x $14 extra reflector (HS)
2 x $9 CL1499 bulb (With purchase of socket/reflector or body)
4 x $10 FM1794 bulb (With purchase of socket/reflector or body)
1 x $8 internationaly (any quantity)
Total = $154

I have a big Maglite flashlight that uses 6 D size batteries and some high power halogen bulb. I like this flashlight but its too big for trekking and travel, wanted something more portable. It actualy serves great as a self defense tool ;)
This moded flashlight that You tiped me on looks realy, realy nice : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=200076

Gotta look into those "Surefire" lights, they look impressive...

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your attitude, koti. But someone is going to have to burst your bubble and I am going to be the one :) . What you just purchased is not LED, certainly not kick arse :thumbsdow and is merely halfway impressive, if at all :sleepy: . So you want an LED that does kick arse? The Wiseled Tactical 1500 will cost you EUR 509.00 and is a great starting and possibly ending point for your needs. You want something that kicks more arse, yet is substantially shorter than a 6D Maglite? The Polarion PH50, or PF50 is a portable HID light that will cost you EUR 1540. You will find those two recommendations to be near the top of many handheld flashlight wishlists.

Last edited:

koti

Enlightened
adamlau...thanks for the 2 tips plus I do know that I did NOT purchase a LED flashlight ;)

I'll look up the Polarion - the price looks crazy...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
HID or as hotwire light would be much better if you want bright and impressive. But most won;t use 18650s.

Remember Surefire is just one of the many companies.

For a start, I'd recommend a P60 accepting light(like the Surefire 6P, Dereelight Cl1H, or similar) so you can easily upgrade the light when newer LEDs arrive.

EV_007

Enlightened
If money is no object...

Get the Surefire Beast2. Heck get two of them and take some beamshots. One of the most rugged HIDs you'll find on the market.

Maxabeam and the Polarions are very nice as well. Get em all and you'll be sittin' pretty.

Custom lights are extremely nice, but as mentioned before, they go very fast.