EASTWARD YJ-18WF CREE Q5 or WF-600 Q5????

Status
Not open for further replies.

painless

Newly Enlightened
Between these two relatively cheap lights from DX, which one would you choose for a simple mode use but good quality, upgradable, good throw with reasonable spill? Would either of these accommodate these criteria? It is likely going to be my "loaner" to my kids and or wife.

Nevermind...............................I will probably just go with the WF-600, eventhough I am not too thrilled about the plastic reflector.

It takes primaries and it looks as if the Eastward is not designed to.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
WF 600 is the better light IMO. Bad experiences with eastwards.
Was it the dodgy Q5 emitter that was the bad experience in the Eastward?

Bessiebennies Eastward was great until he had this serious problem.

Thanks.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it the dodgy Q5 emitter that was the bad experience in the Eastward?

Yup. I'd guess completely inadequate heatsinking, but still, it was used for less than 10 hours before it became very obviously noticeable. (massive drop in output, noticeable black spot on emitter, and reflected in the beam)

painless

Newly Enlightened
So far, it looks as if I made a good decision with the 600.
Does any one know if an Al reflector in OP or smooth is available for the WF-600?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
No al, no OP. Plastic only but it's not an issue at all, sometimes it's better than aluminium.

Wolf359

Enlightened
my eastwardYJ burned out it's Led while i tested it, even had a fan blowing on the sodding thing to cool it and still went titsup.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. I'd guess completely inadequate heatsinking, but still, it was used for less than 10 hours before it became very obviously noticeable. (massive drop in output, noticeable black spot on emitter, and reflected in the beam)
Thanks Jarl, I can't believe lights like this are sold that haven't been properly tested.

BeamJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Utrafire C2 Q5 from ShiningBeam.com. I own the original C2 and love the simplicity of single stage, the flawless beam, huge nice spill and throw, adequate brightness, and the ability to run primaries and 18650's. I've got one on order as we speak!

DM51

Flashaholic
The OP has lost interest in this thread and it has no further purpose or direction, so I'm closing it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.