3 SC's in a 2D Maglite

spencer

Enlightened
I'm still searching for the most runtime out of a 2D flashlight. The title says it all. Can I get 3 Sub C cells in a 2D Maglite?

Thanks
Spencer

spencer

Enlightened
I read somewhere that that wouldn't work. Even if you bore out the tailcap your still half a battery short. Maybe I'll have to go 3C.

addictedmatt

Enlightened
Three c cells will fit in a 2d. I just did it using 5 inches of pvc as a sleeve. You do have to cut down the spring, but no boring is needed. Maybe you are thinking of a 2c? You will need to bore the tailcap of a 2c to get 3 sub c's in it.

spencer

Enlightened
So all you have to do is get some PVC pipe of the proper size so the batteries don't rattle around, cut the spring down a little (or some or lots), and away you go? I didn't know there was that much extra room in a Maglite (2D's are 120mm and 3C are 150mm).

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
So all you have to do is get some PVC pipe of the proper size so the batteries don't rattle around, cut the spring down a little (or some or lots), and away you go? I didn't know there was that much extra room in a Maglite (2D's are 120mm and 3C are 150mm).

What cells are you referring to?
Post title says SC - ie Sub C .
Last post mentions C Cells.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 C Cells will just fit with a small spring in the base of the tailcap.
3 C Lions won't fit.
3 SCs will fit with room for a packed lunch.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Do I have to find a new spring for regular C's or can I just cut down the stock one?
I did. It works great. When you put 3 C cells into a 2D maglite, a little bit of the last cell will stick out of the battery tube. Don't worry, that little bit will fit into the tail cap.
maglite.modified.spring.JPG