LED drop-in as long as a P60.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ordered a couple of different aftermarket, LED drop-ins for my Surefire lights. Both fit, but each was longer in length than a standard P60 lamp. (I tend to keep my Surefires stock, for reliability reasons).

Is there an aftermarket, LED drop-in for Surefire lights, that not only fits but is the same length as a P60 lamp? I'm looking for one that puts out about 200 lumens out the front.

Any help would be appreciated.

txgp17

Enlightened
The only one I know of isn't on the market yet. That would be Surefire's P61L LED.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Any particular reason why it has to be the same length as a stock P60?

I want a good, tight fit. Both the Lighthound Cree Q5 and Solarforce R2 drop-ins caused the heads of my SF C2, 6P, and G2 models to not screw down all the way. The R2 from Solarforce fits perfectly in my Solarforce L2 host. The heads felt like they might pop off the lights. (Except for the L2 of course).

I know they're not likely to pop off, or decrease the lights' water resistance. But why take chances.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Remove the outside spring, if one is present, and trim the center spring back a bit. I find that the spring can put too much pressure on the batteries, and also cause some contact issues. I think that drop ins with Seoul emitters are shorter. Sites that sell the drop ins usually give measurements

Bill

LumenMan

Enlightened
The R2 LED drop ins that I have work perfectly in all of my Surefire 6P's & Defenders. I just remove the large spring from the drop in & the bezel screws down perfectly. There are no contact issues :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Already tried both of the drop-ins with the large spring removed, and even inverted. Still ended up with the same problem.

DX R2 with outer spring removed is what you are looking for. I can't wait for the P61L either, and I understand why you attempt to keep your Surefire lights stock.

EV_007

Enlightened
I agree, the Malkoff M60 fits it very nicely. I think it certainly puts out around 200 lumens as well. I can't say enough about this awesome LED drop-in.

No springs need to be removed. The bezel tightens down the way the stock LA. I have one sitting in my Z2. Fits nicely in the G2 as well.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The P60L fits very well. Malkoff does too.

P60L not bright enough for me. I could wait for the P61L to come out. (Surefire is such a tease). Screw it! I snagged a Malkoff M60 off the MarketPlace. I'm going with that. Hopefully a certain CPFer will check his PM inbox over at the MarketPlace again soon. ;) :)

Thanks for all the help, guys.

It's surprising how many LED drop-ins are designed to fit inside a Surefire bezel, but won't fit perfectly inside an SF light.

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
The Wolf Eyes drop ins fit great.

I tried removing the outer springs on some of the "longer" drop ins only to find that when I did that, there were major contact issues and no light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My Malkoff M60 drop-in arrived yesterday. (Got it off of B/S/T. Thanks MARNAV1). :thumbsup:

It is indeed a perfect fit inside my Surefire C2 model.... in ever sense of the word.