P3d+Zebra clip = sweet!

gerG

Newly Enlightened
Just for fun I tried the clip from my Zebralight H30 on my go-everywhere Fenix P3D. It fits perfectly, and keeps the P3D from falling over in my pocket. IWB carry is also quite comfortable. Getting the clip to engage takes some practice, since the edge of the rubber sleeve catches on the fabric.

But here is the bonus: yesterday I had a vehicle breakdown, at night of course. I needed lighting and both hands free. This required what I call the "cigar mode" of operation: holding the light in my teeth while I work. Since the days of the original Innova X5 my poor teeth have suffered significant wear and tear using this technique. Last night, however, when I bit down on the P3D, my poor old incisors crunched down on...cushy silicone rubber! What a pleasant surprise. (I will pause here to let the breast implant jokes die down....)

...ok, back to the clip: as an added bonus, it provides sufficient asymmetry to keep the flashlight from rolling straight for the edge of a flat surface. It really does amaze me that manufacturers can put so much machined details into a design, yet end up with a product that will accelerate toward the nearest abyss when left unattended on any apparently level surface. I suspect a conspiracy to sell more product in all of this I tell ya! [end of whine].

Oh, as for why I did not just use the Zebralight? It was elsewhere at the time. With all of the other junk that I carry around, I am only willing to keep one light on my person most of the time. I really like the Z'light, but the P3D serves more roles at the moment. Also, where would I carry the headband? (Rhetorical question, just let it go).

gerG

1 what

Enlightened
Ever since I owned a Mark 1 P3D I've been looking for a clip:(. Is it possible to buy the Zebra clip (on its own) or do any of you know a clip you can purchase that fits a P3D?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoping the H30 clip will also fit the new 4sevens/Nitecore lights. The EX10 and D10 don't come with clips, so the Zebralight clip might work out. I'll have to try it on my P2D and P3D's too. :) Thanks for the heads up.

gerG

Newly Enlightened
A bit of warning: this clip does not work quite as well as the typical integrated clip. Clipping it back in the pocket takes a different approach to avoid snagging the rubber lip. I got used to it pretty quickly. I also loosened up the clip a bit to make it easier.

On the positive side, the clip can go on either way, so lens up or lens down, as you prefer. Since it is an arched clip, it allows for deeper carry (little to no light sticking out of pocket). Also adjustable to preference.

1_what, I don't know if the clips are available separately. Try checking with zebralight.com, and let us know what you find out. You could also use it as an excuse to order a zebralight.

gerG

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really does amaze me that manufacturers can put so much machined details into a design, yet end up with a product that will accelerate toward the nearest abyss when left unattended on any apparently level surface.
gerG

great line of thought :D

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You should also be able use the holder for the Zebra with your P3D so you can use the light as a fixed headlamp.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Great Discovery! I am always looking for easy ways to get clips on my lights. (My skill level with modifying lights- NONE!) Thanks for this tip!!