Freezer problem

kev1-1

Enlightened
I wasn't going to post this, but...there seems to be at least one person who knows something about anything posted here! My built in freezer (Creda 26351, about 11-years old) just stopped maintaing sub-zero temps.
Any ideas why?
Is there possibly a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif solution? OR is it a get a new freezer type of problem.? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a referigeration expert, but AFAIK the mechanicals usually either work or they don't. Could you have too much dust built up on the coils behind/under the unit to allow for efficient heat transfer to the outside air? Just a guess. Otherwise I would suspect low referigerant (R-12) wihch would indicate a leak or a compressor about to fail. Those things can be repaired, but it's an old unit, so may not be worthwhile. You could consult a repair service.

Has the unit been moved or transported recently? Improper handling of old referigeration equipment can finish it off very easily.

Edit: you should check the simplest things first such as a thermostat setting that has been knocked out of adjustment, or excessive frost build-up preventing thermal transfer.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Kev-1-1,
My frostless freezer kept frosting up and I decided to look on-line. There is a website, I will look for it that's has a bunch of info. and a trouble shooting guide and schematic for many problems. I paid my $10 to get a weeks access and it was well worth the money. My heater on my freezer had gone out. It walked me through about 5 checks before determining exactly what it was then it showed me how to replace the thing.

Found it,
http://www.fridgedoctor.com/generic/art/305.html

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the compressor running?
common problem is a bad defrost timer.
you can turn it with a screwdriver and see if the compressor comes on.
or it could have iced up so bad that you have no airflow.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Hey snakebite that's on of the things I checked on mine but it was good by the checks that website gives you. You do some kind of short to see it it kicks on. My defroster element was bad, not a heater as I called it earlier. It didn't work so the freezer frosted and everything would thaw because of no air flow. For 2 months I would take the freezer apart and defrost it with a hair dryer and it would work OK for a week and then be frosted back up.

kev1-1

Enlightened
Thanks every one...!! I knew there would be some knowledge here! Diesel Dave, I think I'll give that website a look...thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif