Converting flac.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Hey, I have been trying to convert flac files to apple lossless, but can't seem to find a converter without losing ANY quality. Of course apple wants you to buy lossless music from them so they don't give any support whatsoever on this. There is no way I will convert to any bitrate of mp3 I can't stand mp3. I would prefer not to use wav as well. If anyone has any information that can help me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks,
Steve

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple doesn't sell lossless music.

Google 'FLAC ALAC'

With the Rockbox firmware, the iPod can play FLAC.

Have you ever tried the LAME mp3 encoder?

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll have to go to .wave before you can go to apple lossless, but I'm not completely sure since I've never done it.

meuge

Enlightened
Hey, I have been trying to convert flac files to apple lossless, but can't seem to find a converter without losing ANY quality. Of course apple wants you to buy lossless music from them so they don't give any support whatsoever on this. There is no way I will convert to any bitrate of mp3 I can't stand mp3. I would prefer not to use wav as well. If anyone has any information that can help me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks,
Steve
If CDEx can't do it, nothing can.

That being said, I have a >$8000 retail sound system, and a very keen ear, and I have never been able to tell the difference between WAV and a 320kbit .ogg Vorbis ( I can hear the difference with MP3 very easily).

I would recommend archiving all your music as lossless, but if you need to use a compression, Ogg Vorbis is the way to go. You can even get firmware for iPods (rock box) that will support it.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, not to hijack the thread too much but I am going to buy a Sony DAP which supports the following formats, MP3, WMA, AAC-LC, Linear PCM. Which of these formats should I convert my cds to and which program (free I hope) should I use to do so? I never even heard of Linear PCM. WMA is better then MP3, right?

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Guys, not to hijack the thread too much but I am going to buy a Sony DAP which supports the following formats, MP3, WMA, AAC-LC, Linear PCM. Which of these formats should I convert my cds to and which program (free I hope) should I use to do so? I never even heard of Linear PCM. WMA is better then MP3, right?

It all depends what you want. MP3 typically has a 1-8 compression ratio which means it takes up very little space, but to anyone that likes good quality music they won't be able to stand it. In my opinion MP3 sucks, I like lossless quality. Unfortunately none of those are lossless quality. If you really insist on this, then from what I briefly read, it seems like people seem to think aac-lc is the best but don't quote me on it. I would download songs that were properly ripped and converted to that format and see which format you like the best.