Recommend Ear-Bud Headsets

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Can anyone recommend a good pair of ear-bud type headsets? I do not want the type that fit into the ear-canal, like the Shure brand. I'm looking for something similar to the iPod style headsets, but something better. If our CPF audiophiles think the iPod headsets are fine, without upgrading, that's fine too, just tell me.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
i suggest going for some custom molded ones. i have a pair from a place down here just north of Orlando. they do sell molding kits and you send it back to them, but you can look in your area for places that do that. they are the most amazing and comfortable things i have ever stuck in my ears. :whistle:
The company is Precision Labs and their website is precisionweb.com

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Sony 828s (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008VF63/?tag=cpf0b6-20), you can find these at Target for ~$8. The audio quality from these is on par with Sony's ~$30 30mm headphones; paired with the iPod's "bass boost" EQ setting, the frequency response is almost completely flat, as close as earbuds will ever get to studio monitors (enough to reveal the iPod's audio quality limitations). Highly recommended.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Etymotic Research 6i Isolator Earphones, really good bass, and they filter out antisocial commuters!

Owen

+1 I have used these for a year and a half and they're great! Make sure to use a set of rubber inserts that fit your ears.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you tell more about these? I'm like Ray, I don't really want canal phones which is what a lot has been suggested. I'm intrigued, I never heard of YUIN yet they seem fairly expensive so hopefully pretty good.

I used to like the Sony 888, now I like the YUIN PK2.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Wait, I thought you said you did NOT want the type that fit in your ear canal....many of which have been listed. If you are now going for in canal ear buds, it is important to get a comfortable/proper fit.

None of the standard Etymotic (ER-4S/P) plugs fit my ears comfortably, but they finally sent me some samples of a new small gray foam tip that have superb sound isolation and I can wear endlessly, day after day. I also recommend the M-Audio I.E.-30

For surprisingly comfortable and secure fitting moderately good quality sound, I have used these Sony MDR-A44L "Vertical In The Ear" phones for years. They fold up like this other model listed on Amazon (which I am not recommending)