RIP Scott Kalitta

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I haven't watched the whole Tivo episode yet but I saw a news clip.

I've seen any number of Top Fuelers and Funny Cars blow engines and turn into fireballs....

But Kalittas Funny Car EXPLODED after blowing.

Damndest thing I think I've ever seen.

RIP Scott, and have a good time with Eric!

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Raceway Park is right in my backyard. A lot of my fellow gearheads witnessed this tragic event.

My thoughts go out to the Kalitta family and race team.

SilentK

Enlightened
yeah i was watching nascar and was upset because it was 6:10 and drag racing was to come on at six. i was dissapointed and went back to watching the nationwide race qualifying when they said "and now with a special anouncement from NHRA" and then i heard the news and they showed the video of the explotion. pretty sad stuff. he was a great driver too.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not many of us get to go out doing what we love. Hope that makes it a bit easier for his family.

I was amazed. That was Hollywood stuff. I may be crass, but what a legacy. That will be shown forever.

swampgator

Enlightened
My father in law used to head the security detail for Gatornationals. He'd met Scott a number of times. He was sad to hear the news, as he felt Scott was one of the nicest guys on track.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen him race a few times back when the NHRA Springnationals were held at National Trail Raceway in Columbus, Ohio. He was a great sportsman and will be missed, but if/when ya gotta go, it is good to go doing something you loved.........