6P switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple

Newly Enlightened
Just received my first 6p. I plan to convert it to a LED running on a 17670 and a buck driver. So it's very important to minimize tail switch electrical resistance to get flat regulation. To my surprise, I measured 240 mΩ when the switch is twisted on; and 450 mΩ when pressed momentary on. These are much higher than any flashlight switch I'd seen! :shrug:

I looked into the switch and can't understand why it has such a high resistance. It's basically a single piece of alum with a spring fitted in the center. I managed to measure the spring and it's around 140 mΩ. This is certainly less than ideal. But where is the rest of the resistance from? Grease on the contact surface?

If possible I want to take the switch out of the tail and see if anything can be done to improve its performance. But I can't figure out how. Does anyone know?

I'd appreciate any input on this.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my first 6p. I plan to convert it to a LED running on a 17670 and a buck driver. So it's very important to minimize tail switch electrical resistance to get flat regulation. To my surprise, I measured 240 mΩ when the switch is twisted on; and 450 mΩ when pressed momentary on. These are much higher than any flashlight switch I'd seen! :shrug:

I looked into the switch and can't understand why it has such a high resistance. It's basically a single piece of alum with a spring fitted in the center. I managed to measure the spring and it's around 140 mΩ. This is certainly less than ideal. But where is the rest of the resistance from? Grease on the contact surface?

If possible I want to take the switch out of the tail and see if anything can be done to improve its performance. But I can't figure out how. Does anyone know?

I'd appreciate any input on this.

You may want to contact the moderators to have this thread moved to the homemade & custom lights section. They should be able to answer your question better and you wouldn't want them to miss this thread if they happen not to visit here. I'm not too much of a tinkerer so I cannot really help you in this department. Good luck.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I just posted over there to save the mods some work.

oooh ... between you and me, mods don't really like cross posting. Soon, they'll come in a give you a little :whoopin:, but then will forgive you, close this thread and let you carry on. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.