How bad is smoking cigarettes?

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually never smoke, just a cigar once in a while. But since I'm in the examination period and have a lot of stress, I started smoking cigarettes. And not just a few, but a lot! Please tell me how bad it is so I have a reason to quit it.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mother is in the hospital right now dying of COPD directly from cigarette smoking. IT IS NOT WORTH IT MY FRIEND. If you just started it should be easy to quit.

Bill

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I smoked for a number of years, and quit 7 years ago. While I smoked I poopooed the whole smoking is bad thing, but, I truly believe I feel better than I did. My wind is better, no nagging cough especially on a cold winter day and my sinus' hav enot given me nearly the trouble the past few years. Add the cancer thing and it adds up to quit before you get hooked and it is easy.

You will not be sorry if you quit, but you dang well might be if you do not.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old are you Erasmus?

In my family smoking has been responsible for the deaths of the following members:

Mom, aged 68
Uncle one, 62
Aunt one (wife of Uncle one), 64
Uncle two, 58
Aunt two, 66 (I think)

All died from lung cancer. The trouble is for young people starting out, they consider these ages to be pretty old already or they think they can stop well before they reach this point. When you get to be in your 30s and 40s you realize these ages aren't so old and still could have plenty of productive life ahead of them. I don't know how you convince a young person not to smoke. Even I tried chewing tobacco a few times in college but luckily never got into it.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The evidence is irrefutable - smoking will negatively affect your body and will hasten or even cause your death. Period.

Do the simple arithmatic. $5.00 x 365 = $1,825. Before taxes, you'd have to earn $2,300. So just by not smoking, you get a $200 month raise.

Any one who smokes is just plain stupid. (said unapologetically)

SilentK

Enlightened
one of my uncles died from lung cancer while his sister was talking to him on the phone. they were talking about life and stuff, when he just started sounding horrible, they asked him if he was alright and sure enough aprx. 14 minutes later he just stoped, they asked if he was okay, he sounded like he was choking be he replied a scratchy yes. that was the last anyone heard of him. that peerson was lucky to be able to talk to him last, but for weeks i felt horrible because i do not remember the last time i told him i cared. yet i still watch my mother smoke when i see her. i myself keep a few high quality cigars around the house for when good things happen or i did something great, at the most i smoke one every 45, 50 days of so. usualy longer than that. the same goes for me and beer. the same six pack has been in my fridge for ever and i only drank two of them. i try my hardest to stay away, yet the urge still remains. so i satisfy it while not getting drunk every day like most of my old friends were doing. i keep smart about things like this, and it is NOT an easy task.

sawlight

Enlightened
The evidence is irrefutable - smoking will negatively affect your body and will hasten or even cause your death. Period.

Do the simple arithmatic. $5.00 x 365 = $1,825. Before taxes, you'd have to earn $2,300. So just by not smoking, you get a $200 month raise.

Any one who smokes is just plain stupid. (said unapologetically)

Everything he said, and then some!! I've been smoking for 20 years, I quit for a year a little over a year ago I started again for my own reasons. I have regretted it every since!!
I felt better, food tasted better, and different, I didn't stink like an ashtray, I didn't wake up coughing up a lung. I had less bronchitis, ear infections and sinus infections. I didn't feel like the bloated pig I do now, my clothes didn't stink, I could spend time with my son instead of sneaking away to have a damn cig! I was less irritable, I could do things and BREATHE!!
I DIDN'T STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My cars didn't stink!!!!
QUIT!! QUIT NOW!!!! Don't be a dumb ***, just QUIT!!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
My uncle (dad's brother) died of lymphoma at 69. He was a heavy smoker. His wife unfortunately still smokes.

My maternal grandfather died of pancreatic cancer at 77. Also a heavy smoker.

My maternal grandmother had a heart attack and stroke. Died a year after her husband at age 78.

My father smoked until he had his first heart attack at age 54 (only 9 years older than I am). He survived it, quit smoking, but the second heart attack at age 71½ killed him.

My mom smoked until 1993, but never heavy. Her medical exams show most of the damage from smoking is gone. With any luck she'll live to 100. In other words, if you quit before the major damage is done, you're better off.

Smoking never even entered my mind. The smell of my parents smoking made me ill. Everything I read showed how bad it was for you. It's an expensive, pointless habit.

Quit now, before any damage is done. You'll live on average 15-20 years longer, and your quality of life will be much better. You'll also have lots more money.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good reason to quit
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8538390144842374837&ei=&hl=en

at 15 seconds it brings some serious thought to mind

I say to myself when someone says the "need to quit", Good, but how long are you going to wait? Until you get sick? Its not a joke, the body is not ment for smoking. My father died of lung cancer, my mother quit 20+ years ago. Also i have heard a smokers insides are essentailly 10 years older than actual age.

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quit NOW!! It will only get harder.

There are other ways to deal with stress.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the problem with some smokers, is that they want to die early anyway...and thus, rather have "fun" while they are alive. I dont know how to argue with them that smoking is bad, cos they KNOW its bad..:(

Crenshaw

aussiebob

Enlightened
Think of it this way, if you smoke 20 a day it may take 5 to 10 years off your life, but say if you ate say, 20 chocolate bars or drunk 20 cups of coffee a day you will be dead much much sooner.