Dereelight SSC P7 Drop-in Proto-type!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, when the SSC P7's first hit the market I contacted Dereelight about possibly making a P7 drop-in for the DBS and CL1H. We dicussed some ideas and they put together a pro-type. Dereelight however does not think they will make more of these as they weren't satisified with the performance. They are looking forward to trying the Cree X-MC and they think that will be more suited for their lights. However, I think the P7 could be a nice drop-in option if they could set it up to deliver around 400 lumens out the front, and regulated so it has a flat output for as long as possible from a 18650.

So Alan at Dereelight sent me their pro-type (I don't know if they have any more) to try out. I have taken some pictures and beam shots. Maybe if enough people wanted one of these Dereelight could try to offer something, but at the moment they don't seem very interested.

For starters, the P7, even in the DBS, is not a thrower. The DBS reflect may not be the right design for the P7 to throw. I think the P7's in Maglites appear to do a better job when it comes to throw. However, the P7 in the Dereelights, especially in a CL1H, gives you a nice bright floody beam.

Here is the pill, and you can see they made a good attempt at it. Lots of brass that comes up and around the emitter's base:

Installed in the DBS V1:

Installed in my new CL1H V4:

Dereelight sent only textured reflectors. I don't know how the P7 in the DBS with a smooth reflector would perform.

Time for beam shots. Sorry that I didn't keep the camera view exactly the same for each shot, my little tripod decided to be wobbly tonight, but they are pretty close. All shots at f/2.8, 1 sec, ISO 100, WB Daylight:

Control:

Dereelight CL1H DI R2 WH MAX:

Dereelight CL1H SSC P7:

Dereelight DBS V2 3SD R2 WH High:

Dereelight DBS V1 SSC P7:

CL1H V4 3SD Warm White Q2 5A textured reflector:

Fenix TK10 Turbo:

Surefire E1B High:

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened
Re: Dereelight SSC P7 Drop-in Pro-type!

Hmmm. Yeah the p60 style dropin is quite floody. I would image that the max useful distance is 20 meters or so; but it's hard to tell from pictures. However it is clear that it puts out quite a bit more light than the DI R2 module. I'm on the fence about the beam. The P7 in the DBS reflector is quite nice!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

P7 in the DBS would be better for longer range. I should measure the distance from where I was sitting with the camera and light to the garage there. Probably 40 feet or so.

Meltdown

Enlightened

interesting, and thanks for the pics.
have a clue what they would sell them for?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

interesting, and thanks for the pics.
have a clue what they would sell them for?

The P7's seem to go for around $30, so I'd imagine if a Cree Q5 pill sells for around $30-35, these would be around $60 at least. The brass pill looks a bit more involved too, so that could add to the price as well.

I don't think Dereelight is confident enough with these to sell them. Alan strikes me as the type of person who wouldn't want to take someone's money in exchange for a product he isn't confident in. I think they are worried about the various tints, color shifting, etc. I guess we'll see. Maybe if the P7's get cheaper and the tints improve they could consider it in the future, but who knows. I find the tint on my P7's to be pretty cool / blueish.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm too bad but yet hopefully they'll get something done with the Cree.
I wonder if it was heat? A good 18650 should easily be able to drive a P7 to 2.8A (albeit with short runtime). I would love to get a compact, beast of a flood light; a P60 dropin would be so versatile for this.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Cool photos Wade,
great to see Alan's willing to try different things with the new emitters.

Once the Cree MC-E becomes available, and the ICs sorted out....you'll need a license to run them in the DBS..;)

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats a really wide hotspot for a throw light (V1)

If the reflector specifically designed for that pill?

i agree with PhantomPhoton, the mce may be the way to go if the P7s are so spilly

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats a really wide hotspot for a throw light (V1)

If the reflector specifically designed for that pill?

i agree with PhantomPhoton, the mce may be the way to go if the P7s are so spilly

Crenshaw

Reflector was designed for Cree's, not the P7. So it's just a test type of thing. I don't mind the flood though.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm defintely interested in CL1H v4 with SSC P7. It would be great replacement for L4, not to mention its multiple level brightness control. Flood light is very useful even in low setting.

Alan

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done Wade. Those beamshots are very helpful for understanding the challenge facing light designers with something like the P7. It's cool that Alan was willing to give it a go.... and from the looks of it he did a nice job with that pill. Thanks for sharing your results.

cat

Enlightened
+1. Thanks, Wade.

I'm impressed with the heatsink, the way it surrounds the emitter base. No-one else has done that, afaik.

I think maybe the cost of the P7 is the deciding factor in the end, that it's just not worth it to them. It would be a nice option, but it's just so opposite to the Dereelight emphasis on throw.

Pity you don't have a WE Sniper P7 as well. ;-) I think (if I remember correctly, the beamshot photos I saw) that it throws better.

How're you liking the Q2 Warm White? I think I can see from the beamshot photo...but only just; I think the benefit would be more apparent in "real life".

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting that the DBS P7 doesn't work better. Stefan's OP Tiablo A8 P7 is a monster that puts the Mag P7's to shame. :thinking:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan from Dereelight let me know the OP reflectors were designed to work with the P7. I think the space in the Dereelights may not allow for the right sized reflector though to give better throw. The Tiablo might be wider, more shallow, and be more suited for throw for the P7.

I would like to see someone put a P7 in something like the Ultrafire WF-500. I have a feeling the large reflector in there may work well with the P7, but I guess no one would know unless they tried it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Nice thread, good to know about how much Dereelight thinks and tests a product before they sell it to the public.

I think you'll need a wider reflector too to get more throw, the P7 does have a 4x larger emitting surface.

The Cree X-MC might work better because it has a smaller footprint, but the beam pattern shouldn't be too different because IIRC, it also has a 4x the emitting surface of a Cree XR-E.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan from Dereelight let me know the OP reflectors were designed to work with the P7. I think the space in the Dereelights may not allow for the right sized reflector though to give better throw. The Tiablo might be wider, more shallow, and be more suited for throw for the P7.

I would like to see someone put a P7 in something like the Ultrafire WF-500. I have a feeling the large reflector in there may work well with the P7, but I guess no one would know unless they tried it.

Neither the P7 nor the MC-E will ever throw better in a reflector than a single-die LED.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wade,

The SSC P4s(P7= 4-P4s) produce a wider beam than the Cree XREs because of there respective angles of light dispersion.

I my opinion all of the best throwers use Cree XREs and the best EDC beams use SSC P4s(nicer looking beam with smoother hot spot to spill beam transition for closer work).

I think the best use for a SSC P7 will be a huge wall of light type of light. To get it to throw really well you are going to need a big reflector(3 in).

I believe we will get much better results with the upcoming Cree MCE for a multi emitter throw type of light.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSC P4 is born thrower. It has more light on the side that can be focused by reflector. It's more difficult to make that reflector (1), wide output range in one bin - manufacturer cannot say "my light produces 200 or 250 lumens"(2) and (3) - Cree is American brand. 3 reasons why Cree is more popular.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither the P7 nor the MC-E will ever throw better in a reflector than a single-die LED.

I know that. The intrest in the P7 and X-MC would be for more total output, but obviously at the cost of less throw.

Last edited: