Just got the new 2008 Coast 7736TS ... I think??

arioch

Enlightened
So I ordered the new 2008 Coast LED Lenser 7736TS last week from an online dealer that shall for the time being remain anonymous. It just arrived today, and from what I am seeing on my white walls compared with my 6P with Malkoff M60, Fenix TK10, and yes, even the old Coast LED Lenser 7438 "Hocus Focus" 3W Luxeon, I am somewhat underwhelmed.

The 6P with Malkoff M60 blows it out of the water (no surprise), the TK10 is considerably brighter (less so), and, irritatingly, even the "Hocus Focus" is in the same department brightness wise (hotspot on narrow focus). Now the older 3W Luxeon model of the 7736TS was listed at 83 lumens, which is more output than the "Hocus Focus", which listed at 60 lumens. The "new 2008" model at 149 lumens should be clearly brighter than the "Hocus Focus" (over twice the output), but I am not seeing this.

Among the concerns that I had going into this purchase were:

1.) The 7736TS model was already in production, unlike some of the other "new for 2008" models from Coast, like the P7 and T7. Hence, some dealers might be selling the older, 3W Luxeon 83 lumen models using the specs for the newer, 3.42W 149 lumen models.

2.) The head does not separate so I cannot see the LED inside, and with the optic versus a reflector, I cannot see the LED properly through the lens. Hence, no way to see what kind of LED is inside.

3.) Based on the LED Lenser website, the body style, switch, and all exterior markings are the same for the older model as for the newer model.

4.) Two reputable online dealers, Brightguy and Batteryjunction, were not carrying this particular model, although Batteryjunction had it on the "coming soon" list. The dealer I purchased the item from had the item for sale, and for a substantial discount ($50.99) from the price I saw offered @ Batteryjunction ($59.99) for whenever it became available.

5.) After I ordered my light, I checked the website I bought the light from, and found that it was now being offered at ... $59.99.

I am curious as to whether I had been sent the last of the older models to make way for the newer ones. I will be trying it out at night to do brightness comparisons again. If I do not see a lot of improvement on my new arrival, I will be contacting the dealer I purchased it from, and (if necessary), post @ Cheers and Jeers.

One strange feature to this light versus my "Hocus Focus" was that it is top loading; that is, you remove the head and take the battery holder from the top and load it the same way in reverse. The holder will not come out from the tailcap end, although the tailcap does come off (??).

For those who would chime in on how the Coast line quality sucks and is unreliable, or the 3AAA battery form factor is terrible, please don't (I see this on many Coast threads). I have happily owned my Coast LED Lenser 7438 "Hocus Focus" for the past couple of years, use it about every day/night, have dropped it numerous times on concrete, used it in rain, and have never had it fail when I needed it. I have also owned older Coast lights that were not the best, so I can see both sides. However, in this case, I would just like to know how to determine whether or not my new light is the "new 2008" model or the older one without having to tear the head apart and voiding my warranty. :sigh:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Coast does have good models like the Hocus Focus.

As for your light, since it was sold as a discount, it was probably one of the older versions.

arioch

Enlightened
kts: The 7736TS (old and new model) is a non focusing model, similar otherwise to the "Hocus Focus". The P7 and T7 appear to be the new models that replace the 7438 "Hocus Focus". I did not buy one of those for a few reasons, one being that both are close to or slightly over a hundred dollars, another being that I never used the focusing function of my "Hocus Focus" (always left it set at narrow focus), and finally (and most importantly for me) because the new P7 and T7 have the new multi level switch (momentary/high/low) which I HATE in a "tactical" light.

MattK: Thank you for an official Coast dealer response ... does this mean that no local U.S. dealer should have the new 7736TS model yet? I ask this because there is one dealer on ebay (whom I did not buy from) and another one outside of ebay (whom I did buy from) who are advertising the "new Coast LED Lenser 7736TS" with the new specs (3.42 W, 149 lumens). If no legitimate dealers should have their hands on the new model, then I will contact the dealer to seek some kind of redress.

I did try out the 7736TS at night, and the output seemed to be on somewhere in the middle of the pack (3W Lux and Cree P4 mix).

It was brighter than:

Inova T3 original 3W Lux with Tiros, Energizer 3W Lux rechargeable, Alpine Design 2aa 3W Lux (which is a Rayovac 2aa 3W Lux with a reverse clicky instead of momentary/twist on), Romisen RC-13 2aa Cree P4.

It was not brighter than:

Malkoff M60 in SF 6P host, Fenix TK10, DX 6090 6P drop in with Brinkman Maxfire host, Romisen RC-F4 with Cree P4, Leatherman Monarch with Cree P4, Task Force 2C with Cree P4.

It seems to beat all of my 3W Lux offerings, but loses to all but one of my Cree lights.

Should have waited for confirmation of the arrival of the new 7736TS, but dang I wanted one now!!!

droeun

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did the packaging actually say 149 lumens? I picked one up from sears (2nd gen for $49.99) last week and am happy with it.

arioch

Enlightened
The "packaging" was an unsealed black gift type box. There was no owner's manual in the box that usually comes with the Coast/LED Lenser lights and no labeling on the box indicating which version of the 7736TS it was. I definitely was sent the earlier 80 lumen version of the light; whether this was intentional on the part of the vendor is the question.

I did find the newer version at Sears a short time after that (in the blister pack with "149 lumens" printed on the front) and bought it. While it was not the fantastical light that I was anticipating, it was clearly brighter than the earlier one I bought online.

I ended up "gifting" the older one to my brother in law for his birthday. Not being a flashaholic, he was very pleased.