Thrower - Ready Made or Modded MagLite

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
Just thinking out loud... If I wanted a thrower, would I get better results by buying a ready made light like the Dereelight DBS of a Tiablo for example, or by modding a MagLite? Has anyone done some direct comparisons of something like this?

I had a look at prices, and a Dereelight would cost about $65 (about £125), but a 2D MagLite with a Terralux TLE-300M would be about £78 ($153), so although the MagLite is more expensive, at least it's in the same ball park ;).

Thanks,

Dave.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
A better thrower would be the Kaidomain aspheric kit for the Mag. That will outthrow anything else in the category and will cost less than most other options.

Timson

Enlightened
Dave,

The Terralux modded Maglite that you mention is not going to throw anywhere near as far as a Tiablo / Dereelight. It's a multi emitter that will give lots of lumens - Yes significantly more than the little throwers but with a relatively floody beam.

The Dereelight / Tiablo (In that order) are all about throw with relatively little flood.
The secret is their very deep reflectors (especialy the Dereelight) which is way deeper than a Mag reflector.

No multi-emitter Mag mod will throw as well as a single emitter mod - as the smaller reflectors / optics are not as efficient.

You can do an LED Maglite mod with lots of throw by using a single Cree Q5 / R2 emitter and a good Aspheric lense (No Reflector). Throw will be similar to the Tiablo /Dereelight - but it will be heavier, much bulkier and the beam will be square (Projecting an exact image of the yellow die part of the emitter).

If I were you I'd buy a Dereelight DBS V2 and a good quality 18650 Li-Ion cell or two with charger from dealer - 'AW' in 'The Marketplace'.
You'll be very pleased with the result.

Tim.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can do an LED Maglite mod with lots of throw by using a single Cree Q5 / R2 emitter and a good Aspheric lense (No Reflector). Throw will be similar to the Tiablo /Dereelight - but it will be heavier, much bulkier and the beam will be square (Projecting an exact image of the yellow die part of the emitter).

It won't project the lines on the die unless it's focussed improperly.

Nothing trumps the fact that the aspheric mag gets higher lux readings than the DBS/Tiablo/Raidfire/other.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you just want throw, an aspheric maglite mod would be your best choice. If you want throw and sidespill, the Dereelight DBS or similar would be your better choice.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thinking out loud... If I wanted a thrower, would I get better results by buying a ready made light like the Dereelight DBS of a Tiablo for example, or by modding a MagLite? Has anyone done some direct comparisons of something like this?

I had a look at prices, and a Dereelight would cost about $65 (about £125), but a 2D MagLite with a Terralux TLE-300M would be about £78 ($153), so although the MagLite is more expensive, at least it's in the same ball park ;).

Thanks,

Dave.
Excluding aspheric Mag mods, the Dereelight DBS or Tiablo A8 / A9 will clobber any other sort of LED Mag mod in throw.

Keep in mind an aspheric Mag has just about 0 spill.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what you're saying here. You will definitely see the lines at the optimal focus point.

If it's projecting lines it's not at the ideal point for use. Also, while focusing it like that may project the die image very well, less light is in the beam. Moving the lens so that it focuses just in front of the die gets more light into the beam, because it's focusing all the light collected from the dome, rather than that from just the die to the lens.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Thanks,

Dave.

I have a Terralux TLE-300M in a 4D Maglite. The conversion was easy, but the Mag lens is not a perfect fit afterwards. It rattles a bit. It can get a little annoying. Out the front, the 300 designation is spot-on.... That's about how many actual lumens the conversion produces.

Also, the TLE-300M has been described like an SF L4 on crack. Meaning, a ton of flood. It's not a dedicated thrower. The DBS is, and it's less expensive; without lens rattle. I like my TLE-300M, but I definitely didn't buy it for throw.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's projecting lines it's not at the ideal point for use. Also, while focusing it like that may project the die image very well, less light is in the beam. Moving the lens so that it focuses just in front of the die gets more light into the beam, because it's focusing all the light collected from the dome, rather than that from just the die to the lens.
I don't have a light meter to verify that, but I don't think that's correct. That would be like saying the total light output of a projector changes as the focus is adjusted. I just don't see how that could be. :shrug:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a light meter to verify that, but I don't think that's correct. That would be like saying the total light output of a projector changes as the focus is adjusted. I just don't see how that could be. :shrug:

Focusing the light from the dome captures more light than focusing light from the die alone. The dome captures more light from the dome than the aspheric lens does by itself.

The total output doesn't change very much, but the amount of light in the main beam does.

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies everyone :).

As I'm a noob, I had no idea that multi-emitter systems produce flood beams rather than throwing. But thinking about it, it makes sense as the 3LED Nite Ize upgrade for my MiniMag produces a nice flood.

To be honest, this was just a thought experiment and learning exercise, as I don't need a thrower. But if I do ever need one, I think the Dereelight or Tiablo will be on the shortlist!

Thanks,

Dave.