Inova T4MP vs Pelican 7060 LAPD - My Comparison

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I've had the opportunity to use both the Pelican 7060 LAPD and the newest version of the Inova T4 on the job, and I thought I'd fill you in with my impressions. I'll compare each light in the area's that I have experience in:

-Construction: The Inova is metal with a glass lens, the Pelican is polymer with a metal heat sink and a plastic lens. This is old news that I'm sure your all aware of. Both lights seem durable enough, and as long as you don't intend on using them underwater they should survive getting wet.

-Tint: The Inova has a warm tint, almost yellow. The Pelican has a cool tint, almost blue. When either light is compared to an incandescent light source, they look white. I prefer the Inova's tint, because I think it more closely matches sunlight.

-Overall output: Both are very close, and very bright. One of the manufactures is lying about the output of their light. If the Inova is really 175 lumens, than the Pelican is more than 130, and if the Pelican is really 130 lumens, than the Inova is less than 175. The fact that the tint of both lights are so radically different doesn't help picking one out over the other either. If I had to guess, I'd say that the Pelican marginally beats out the Inova in overall output. I will say that both lights are so bright that I have been using them instead of the ally lights on my car to look down the many dark alleys in my beat.

-Throw and Beam Quality: Pelican throws further, the smooth reflector produces a tight hot spot. The smooth reflector also produces several rings, especially around the hot spot. The Inova's textured reflector produces a very smooth beam and a much broader hot spot, but doesn't throw as far. Thats not to say the Inova doesn't throw, the beam still shines a good distance, and the broad beam lights up a large area.

-Runtime: I haven't run either down to an empty battery, and really don't intend to. I can say that both lights can last two 8 hour graveyard shifts without recharging, and with no noticeable drop in brightness. This is a lot more than I can say for the old incandescent rechargeable I used to use at work which didn't last half a shift before going dim. Both lights also use Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries.

Special Features: The Pelican has dual switches. The dual switches are nice, but the tail cap switch is so sensitive it's easy to activate by mistake when you sit down with the light on your belt. I carry mine in a cargo pocket, so this doesn't affect me too much. Both of the switches have momentary capability. The Inova has a single digital switch with low, strobe, and momentary functions. The button is different than what your probably used to, but it doesn't take much to master it.

Size/Carry Options: Like I said, I carry my light in a cargo pocket, but I thought I'd comment on what I've seen some other people do. Some guys I work with use the included holster for the Pelican light, but the smaller guys like me don't because the light is a little on the bigger side. Plus, there is the accidental tail switch activation problem when using the included holster. I'm not aware of any other holster that is available for the Pelican. As for the Inova, I can say that it does not fit in the ASP baton holsters, which a lot of guys used to hold their old Stingers. I'm not aware of any good quality holsters available for the Inova, but as a quick solution you can drop it into a PR24 ring holder. The Inova is noticeably smaller, but due to it being metal it is not noticeably lighter.

Conclusions: I don't think that either is clearly better than the other, it depends on what your looking for in a light. I bought the Inova myself when it first came out, and this past week my whole department was issued the Pelican (I guess I missed that memo). If I could go back, I would not have bothered buying the Inova for the simple fact that I would get the Pelican for free. Since I already got both, I guess I could go for the hat trick and get the new Stinger DS with C4 LED just for fun.

As a final note, both these lights kick the tar out of the original Stinger LED with Luxeon III at 80 Lumens. I mean, the comparison isn't even fair.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I'm not aware of any good quality holsters available for the Inova...

I use a Stallion Leather holster with the 2006 TIROS Inova T4 which I think has the same physical dimensions at the 2008 model T4.

It is a high quality belt holster. You can order them with various options directly from the manufacturer if you don't like the smooth black leather version sold by the vendor in the link above.

TroyTK

Newly Enlightened
Bianchi has a closed top holster in their accumold line that fits my Inova T4 perfectly. The medium ASP holder also fits it nicely, I just prefer the closed top holder.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I would have to say that i like the inova better. I think the wider hotspot would be much better for building searches. I havent used the pelican but have played with it. Ive used the inova for about 2 weeks though.
I like the idea of dual switches but other than that i prefer the inova in every way i think.
I had to use it to search a dark park one time and it threw really well.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the Inova T4 and like it a lot. Thanks for your impressions and comparisons of the two lights. I have not had the chance to check out the Pelican yet.

Bill

OceanView

Enlightened
Thanks for the real world comparison! It's always great to hear about people's actual experience with a light.

Regarding the cool tint of the Pelican, that was an LAPD design specification--better at shining through dark window tint was the rationale, IIRC. Was just curious if you have noticed if the Inova's warmer beam is any worse or better than the Pelican's at shining through dark window tinting?

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
Was just curious if you have noticed if the Inova's warmer beam is any worse or better than the Pelican's at shining through dark window tinting?

I've used the Inova on several traffic stops now, and have been satisfied with how well it illuminates the inside of vehicles. Some people these days have tinted windows on their cars that are practically opaque, so they're hard to see through even with a spotlight let alone a flashlight. If anything makes the Pelican better for looking through tinted windows, its the tight hot spot rather than the tint I think. With both lights, most of the spill beam is lost looking through dark tinted glass.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stallion makes holsters in the usual law enforcement selection (nylon/leather(black clarino weave) specifically for both the T4 and the 7060.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both of the law enforcement forums that I am on have flashlight questions from time to time, so I may point to this post to help people pick a light. I have the 7060 and the original T4, or I did until my wife took over the T4. It sounds like the new T4MP is much nicer than the original.

shootist16

Newly Enlightened
Any updates? I'm looking at replacing my Stinger led and its between the T4 or 7060.

toolpig1

Enlightened
Any updates? I'm looking at replacing my Stinger led and its between the T4 or 7060.

I've got both, and they each have their attributes. Perhaps if I point out a few differences, you can decide what's important to you.

Runtime: Inova 2+ hours beats 7060 at 1.5 hours
Charge time: Inova 2 hours beats 7060 at 4-5 hours
Charger: Inova provides AC cord and 12V car cord, 7060 just AC
Weight: Almost the same (couple ounce difference)
Throw: 7060 is the winner
Switch: 7060 gives dual switches, but Inova gives hi, low, and strobe
Body: Inova is metal, 7060 is polymer...is cold winter a consideration?
Lens: Inova's glass beats 7060's plastic
Size: Inova is clearly smaller/slimmer
Tint: Inova is warmer, 7060 is cool (rather blue IMO)

I like both lights, but when I compare, the Inova seems like a no brainer. Why don't you check out all the detailed specs on Brightguy:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Inova_T4_MP_Rechargeable_LED_Flashlight.php
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Pelican_7060_LAPD_Flashlight.php

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charger: Inova provides AC cord and 12V car cord, 7060 just AC
Lens: Inova's glass beats 7060's plastic
Tint: Inova is warmer, 7060 is cool (rather blue IMO)

My 7060 came with both charging options.

Why is a glass lens better if the 7060 still outthrows the T4? Plastic is a plus for durability.

My 7060 looks like WC tint, which certainly might be rare.

Last edited:

toolpig1

Enlightened
My 7060 came with both charging options.

Why is a glass lens better if the 7060 still outthrows the T4? Plastic is a plus for durability.

My 7060 looks like WC tint, which certainly might be rare.

I bought my 7060 from www.fox-intl.com because they had the lowest price at the time. Mine only came with AC charger and I never bought the 12V cord separately. Personally, I consider glass a plus for its better resistance to scratches, but the plastic would have better resistance to breakage. I've never actually broken a lens, but have scratched a few of them pretty good. As for tint, I don't know...maybe it's the luck of the draw.

shootist16

Newly Enlightened
One of the guys I work with has the 7060. I looked at his. It seems a little on the large side for belt carry. I think I'll go with the T4.