EX10 (1xCR123A) and D10 (1xAA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchoo

Enlightened
CPF Marketplace Thread

4Sevens has posted a CPF Marketplace thread regarding these new lights, with complete preorder information and an official features/UI description. Check it out!

Full product information is now posted to Fenix-Store.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_55&products_id=501
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_55&products_id=502

ETA:

These are NOT Fenix products, but 4sevens/NiteCore!

4sevens posted a teaser pic for us here!

Updated summary of features here!

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I don't believe I said anything about runtime. If you consider the light lost from the claimed 180lm of the P2D, it'll be close to the actual 130lm of the EX10. Am I wrong here? Please correct me if I am. I was under the impression that the 130 lumens of the EX10 is supposed to be actual torch lumens, as opposed to the P2D's 180 emitter lumens that don't take into account the light lost in the reflector and lens."
If one light runs twice as long as another, it is getting half the juice of that shorter running one, thereby being half as bright. This is provided the drivers have similar efficiency and about the same reflector loss.

All I'm saying is that the EX10 on max will be half as bright as a P2D on turbo. When I get mine I'll compare both in my lightbox and see. :)

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, beamshots would be nice!
In spite of all the excitement over the new UI on these new lights, not much has been said about the beam, the size of the hotspot, smoothness of the transition to the spill, and the throw, other than the lumen output is the same as the NDI. I would imagine that we will be looking at a beam similar to that on the other NiteCore lights, but it still would be nice to know that some improvement has been made with fewer Cree artifacts, and a smoother hotspot/spill transition, less LED tint variations, etc. If 4Sevens could comment on this aspect of the light it might be illuminating (forgive the pun). After all, at the end of the day, it is the light that counts most; not just the interface that controls that light.

Right now, as an owner of an NDI, unless there is an improvement in the light output quality, I see no reason now to buy a D10, or E10. Hopefully, if not with these current models, NiteCore will begin to pay as much to improving the beam as they have the interface and switching. I am excited to hear that 4Sevens is planning other lights with this interface. Will his attention then be paid, perhaps to higher output, better beam quality, or better color rendition (another McGizmo inovation) even at the expense of brightness. I doubt that 4Sevens will tell us what he is planning, but I am sure he is listening to us and what we want most.

streetmaster

Enlightened
"I don't believe I said anything about runtime. If you consider the light lost from the claimed 180lm of the P2D, it'll be close to the actual 130lm of the EX10. Am I wrong here? Please correct me if I am. I was under the impression that the 130 lumens of the EX10 is supposed to be actual torch lumens, as opposed to the P2D's 180 emitter lumens that don't take into account the light lost in the reflector and lens."
If one light runs twice as long as another, it is getting half the juice of that shorter running one, thereby being half as bright. This is provided the drivers have similar efficiency and about the same reflector loss.

All I'm saying is that the EX10 on max will be half as bright as a P3D on turbo. When I get mine I'll compare both in my lightbox and see. :)
Ok, how did we suddenly move to P3D, we were referring to the P2D. Slightly different animal. :)

Rzr800

Enlightened
post_new.gif
Today, 07:31 AM
BabyDoc
user_online.gif

Flashaholic

icon1.gif
Re: EX10 (1xCR123A) and D10 (1xAA) Part 2
In spite of all the excitement over the new UI on these new lights, not much has been said about the beam, the size of the hotspot, smoothness of the transition to the spill, and the throw, other than the lumen output is the same as the NDI. I would imagine that we will be looking at a beam similar to that on the other NiteCore lights, but it still would be nice to know that some improvement has been made with fewer Cree artifacts, and a smoother hotspot/spill transition, less LED tint variations, etc. If 4Sevens could comment on this aspect of the light it might be illuminating (forgive the pun). After all, at the end of the day, it is the light that counts most; not just the interface that controls that light.

Right now, as an owner of an NDI, unless there is an improvement in the light output quality, I see no reason now to buy a D10, or E10. Hopefully, if not with these current models, NiteCore will begin to pay as much to improving the beam as they have the interface and switching. I am excited to hear that 4Sevens is planning other lights with this interface. Will his attention then be paid, perhaps to higher output, better beam quality, or better color rendition (another McGizmo inovation) even at the expense of brightness. I doubt that 4Sevens will tell us what he is planning, but I am sure he is listening to us and what we want most.

Excellent post.

The LF5XT recently and thankfully showed us exactly what features were actually possible in this format and many comparitive questions have been brought forward in this thread involving these critical 'new' components, including simple battery protection and advanced reflector design.

Building a more advanced NDI is great; yet we seem to be witnessing a trend here concerning the release of advance reviews and the detailed even 'basic' information that they contain that the groundbreaking NDI did not follow at this point (or any other) in its release (the equally groundbreaking Jet I Pro IBS being another example).

As I've mentioned before...we won't receive advance lights for review if there is no implication that this is indeed the 'standard' on this forum. I don't blame anybody whatsoever including Nitrecore or 47s for marketing these lights any way that they please; simply pointing out the fact that the exact same questions get asked over and over in the release threads of today for really no other reason than previous expectations in this regard are non-existent.
If I was in the light business; I would do the exact same thing and applaud the fact that these people intimately know both their market and more importantly...their customers.

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
beamshots
I'll try to squeeze in a photo shoot by the end of today.
No promises. I'll try. What lights do you want to compare it with?
I never liked beamshots because 1) It's not the same as seeing it
with your eyes. 2) It doesn't account for normal manufacturing and LED
variations. Sometimes an outspoke member will report on their light with
much detail and then suddenly his particular light is the standard. :p
3) The units I have in my hand are pre-production units so they may or
may not properly represent the final product. 4) Manufacturers have the
right to improve their product without needing to notify past customers.

One example. The non-premium line of Fenix lights still use the P4 specs
where in fact, you can't even get P4's in volume. They are most likely Q2's.
But the specs are kept at the same to avoid confusion. Those specs are
minimum specs - as long as they meet or exceed the specs it should be fine.
(except those who would complain that they are getting more light/more
efficiency that they paid for - and believe me there are some of you like
that out there :D)

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Oh I guess a random Q5 P2D is the concensus I believe. 5ft from wall and 2 1/2ft between them to compare spill in the same pic.

After this we start debating the virtues of different knurling patterns or something............:tinfoil:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, how did we suddenly move to P3D, we were referring to the P2D. Slightly different animal. :)

typo...corrected

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
* here is to hoping against hope that the beam is flawless. The new LF5XT has set the bar pretty high for small Cree torches.

Marduke

Flashaholic
One example. The non-premium line of Fenix lights still use the P4 specs
where in fact, you can't even get P4's in volume. They are most likely Q2's.
But the specs are kept at the same to avoid confusion. Those specs are
minimum specs - as long as they meet or exceed the specs it should be fine.
(except those who would complain that they are getting more light/more
efficiency that they paid for - and believe me there are some of you like
that out there :D
)

Nah, it's fine. "That" particular member is no longer permitted to whine and complain here.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thrilled to see beamshots. However, I think the tone of this thread should be noted by manufacturers. How do we get to dozens of pages of excited discussion without even getting to beamshots yet? Well, IMO the explanation is simple -- the various UIs from the many manufacturers of these types of lights are all highly unsatisfactory for lights in this price range. For myself, all of my lights in this class were bought because I was excited about the beam, but ended up on the shelf or given away because of my extreme dissatisfaction with the UIs. Only the HDS and Novatac have stuck as carry lights for me, but they are in a different price range. Ditto the Gatlight and Titan, which I think also have nice UIs.

In short, mind your UIs. Mind your beams, too, of course. But this entire line of discussion proves a good UI by itself is enough to get people excited. I really like this UI, I've admired the PHoton Freedom's ramping for a long time, and am glad to see it elsewhere.

Looking forward to beamshots!

alibaba

Enlightened
In short, mind your UIs. Mind your beams, too, of course. But this entire line of discussion proves a good UI by itself is enough to get people excited. I really like this UI, I've admired the PHoton Freedom's ramping for a long time, and am glad to see it elsewhere.

Looking forward to beamshots!

I agree about the Photon Freedom UI, it's PERFECT! Press once for full or press and hold (for about 1 sec.) for min.. Even on low it starts and ramps up quickly so once you get the feel you can access ANY level quickly. To me, every other UI is a waste of time because the perfect one has already been made so this makes me wonder if LRI (makers of Photon) has actually patented the UI. I honestly don't see how you could improve on it at all! The EX10/D10 UI is also really good but to me the Freedom is pure simplicity while the D10 has 3-clicks to access low and 2-clicks then hold for max (unless one of them is saved in memory). I just would expect that more torch makers would utilize what is clearly the best UI out there?

EDIT: I would also like to see them do away with the memory (or whatever causes the processor to draw power when off) Lithium batteries have a shelf life of 10 years............unless you store them in this light! With the ability to start out on either low or high the memory function could easily have been left out. This is the only thing keeping me from ordering right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.