LumaRay FL6/FL12RX 2008

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any details about the "brighter, and more efficient LEDs" that LumaRay is using in the updated FL6 and FL12RX?

I've been tempted to order an FL12RX many times, and nearly pulled the trigger a few months back, but opted to give it a little time in hopes that they'd replace the Nichia CS's with a more recent bin. Sounds like it was the right decision.

OceanView

Enlightened
I believe the "2008" models are using the Nichia GS emitters. I actually tried sending them an email a short while ago asking them if they had any plans to upgrade the FL6 fog head, too, but alas, never got a reply.

OceanView

Enlightened
I got a reply from Lumaray regarding the FL6 fog head. They chose not to upgrade the emitters in the fog head because the beam pattern is not as collimated when using the GS emitters, and as most of us know, a tight beam with little spill is preferable in fog.

That said, Lumaray will create a fog head with the new Nichia GS emitters on request, since some people buy the fog head more for the yellow colored beam (for example, for safety/being seen-related reasons) rather than for actual use in the fog.

Lumaray has a very unique product and they're still in the game. It was just a short time ago, when the avalanche of new Cree and SSC emitters were first introduced, where you'd often see people remarking, "It's a great time to be a flashaholic!" Well, we have even more choices now, including the upgraded Lumaray's, so it's definately still a great time to be a flashaholic! :party:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we believe the specs though. I am tempted to buy one of these lights just for the glow lenses... not sure how I feel about the star wars lightsaber looks. I am just wondering if the light with its new leds.... running on 3 C cells can really produce 200 lumens. Also, is it regulated? I remember the old ones were not.... and alkaline C cells drop out of power pretty quickly. I would be interested in this light.... if I can be convinced to believe the hype.