Tent light recommendations?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I got some good advice on the Fenix lights but now need help with something else. I do alot of camping and been looking for a tent type LED light that could work for other uses as well. Right now I use a collection of junk flashlights or cheap backup LED headlamps hanging from my clothes line. I could just use the headlamp I normally pack however don't want to take it down everytime I need to answer nature's call. I don't like to keep my LED headlamp or flashlight on my person inside the tent all the time. Want something off my body that has a good flood output. Here is what I am talking about.
tipiplanter.jpg

Sometimes I use one of these.

100_2246.jpg

looking for something that can hang up but still work for other things. I want to keep the gear UL so no heavy lanterns. Seen the Zebra light but I need to stick with AA and the twist cap of the H50 is a no go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziemas

Enlightened
Re: Tent light.

A Fenix light defuser with the above mentioned Fenix light on one of the lower modes will light up the tent quite nicely.

CampingLED

Enlightened

I have built two camping lights with 3 x Cree Q5's in series with a wire connection to my car (or other 12V) battery for power. Used a PNP transistor constant current source circuit with a Hi/Lo switch (700mA and 350mA). Inside a tent 100mA should also be sufficient. The Crees are glued to a heatsink and the light is used both outdoors or in a tent.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a small 2 person tent. I use a keychain light (Fauxton)that I leave cliped on to the loop in the center of the tent. It's cheap,always there,and has enough light for my purposes.

1 what

Enlightened

I've tried all sorts of lights but my favourite for in tent use is the GloToob Lithium (in white). It's not so bright that it destroys all your night vision. The battery lasts for hours (can't remember how long) and its waterproof, small, very robust and has more output modes than you can shake a stick at. If you camp in the bush you can leave on one of the strobe modes so it's easier to find your tent in the dark.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

I keep a 5-LED Cabelas light hanging on one of the gear loops in my 2-person EMS tent. It has a 2-mode tailswitch and runs on CR123s. I replaced the cheap white commodity LEDs with red ones and put it on low for most things. The high mode is really too bright to preserve night vision. I also run a lot of GITD paracord on my gear, and just those alone are enough to find things in the dark.

smg

Newly Enlightened

My favorite EDC light would probably be my choice in a camping light as well. The LRI Proton Pro: http://www.batteryjunction.com/proton.html

It has a split-ring on the tail end, so it easily hangs vertically in a tent. Two LEDs are used, so you can have white or red light, without carrying a diffuser that you will lose. Both beams are completely adjustable using a single switch (single hand operation), and each has several beacon/strobe/SOS modes. Lastly, it is one of the smallest and lightest 1xAA lights on the market.

josean

Newly Enlightened

I would suggest you to try a Zebralight. Three levels, ideal for long runtimes as well as for high output. It is pure flood and it can be used also as a headlamp.

I have a Zebralight h50. It is a very interesting light.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sam's Club has some Osram-Sylvania puck lights that put out nice flood.

A 3-pack is $30.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with using a diffuser on one of your existing lights on low. It's always good when going UL to have your gear do double duty. Leave the diffuser in your tent and just slip it on and off as needed.

alpha

Newly Enlightened

i found the best led tent light ever in my country .. i´ll be posting some pics today at night

Alero

Enlightened

I personally use a Gerber Infinity for my tent light. It hangs nicely and runs forever on one AA battery.

But I'd seriously consider using my L1D and just adding a carabiner and diffuser for the tent. They have a red difuser for it too.

You might also play with what you have and find a useable difuser. Things like chap-stick caps, transluscent film canisters, and plastic bottles can fit some lights perfectly.

smg

Newly Enlightened

I agree with using a diffuser on one of your existing lights on low. It's always good when going UL to have your gear do double duty. Leave the diffuser in your tent and just slip it on and off as needed.
Kinda like the Proton Pro, which does not need any diffuser ;)

sabre7

Enlightened

The original Fenix E0 is a better choice than the E01 on all counts except knurling. Smooth, round, flood beam with slightly bluish center area, it is much thinner, smaller, scratches hardly show on natural finish, just as bright, runtime as good or better than E01 too, it is still widely available at most places that sell Fenix.