Fenix dilema/inquiry

prof student

Enlightened
Ok, i am looking at 2 Fenix lights: L2T V2.0 and L2D CE

The L2D CE has
• Cree 7090 XR-E LED
• Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel:

General Mode: 9 lumens (55hrs) -> 40 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 80 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe

The L2T has
• Cree Q2 LED with lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Two digitally-regulated output levels, selected by turning the bezel
• High level: 152 lumens, 2.4 hours (Ni-HM)
• Low level: constant 16 lumens, 32 hours (Ni-HM)

Question: Is there REALLY that much if a difference in the high lumens, 135 in the L2d VERSUS 152 in the L2T?

I see both have Cree LED, but different types. I do not know much about them, other than reading on here that the Q2 is not the latest but yet is the brightest version (according to the specs).

Does anyone have pics of BOTH beams?
Does anyone have BOTH lights & can give their input?
Thanks

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Both light are digitially regulated and constant output.

The Q5 gives a bit more light for the same amount of power, but the step from Q2 to Q5 is not very large.

The real differences are:
Forward clickie on L2T, your can half press it for a quick burst of light. This also makes it possible to use it for signalling.
The L2D has more light levels and strobe mode.

I do not have the L2T, but the L1T, L1D and L2D.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Both lights use the Cree XR-E model of LED, but they use different bins. The L2D-CE is supposed to use the P4 bin(though some might use the Q2 bin) and the L2T V2.0 now uses the Q2 bin. The driver is driving them at different levels hence the different output.

Cree's bin code goes in order from dimmest/east efficient(not all of it, just the ones you'll see more often): P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, R2.

The beam patterns should be similar if not identical.

Between the normal L2D and L2T V2.0, you won't see much of a difference in output on high.

I would get the Q5 version of the L2D unless you need to use the light to signal, then I'd get the L2T V2.0. It(L2D-CE Q5) would be around 30% brighter out the front then the L2D-CE. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nobody mentioned the low modes yet. To me they are the most significant difference between the 2 lights.

The L1T/L2T have a low of 15 lumens, adequate for indoor use.

The L1D/L2D have a low of 5 lumens, good for close in work or not tripping over the furniture.
The L1D/L2D have a medium of 30 lumens, good for indoor use.
The L2D high (3rd click in general mode) is 1/2 way between medium and turbo (tighten head)
The L1D high and turbo are about the same.

I would not worry too much about the differences in the L2T high/L2D turbo (tighten head).

Unless you need strobe or SOS I would not worry about them as well.

L2T v2 $47.95
L2D CE $50.08
L2D Q5 $62.50
Prices are list. Calculate your own discount.

smg

Newly Enlightened
The L1D/L2D have a low of 5 lumens, good for close in work or not tripping over the furniture.
Where did you read that? According to fenix-store, the L2D CE is 9 lumens on low; the L2D Q5 is 12 lumens on low. It would be nice if the newer ones (new circuit) put out 5 lumens on low. Do they??

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low should be even lower than 5 lumens, 0.5 would be nice but the L2D Q5 is advertised as 12 lumens. Someone said that the new one with reverse polarity protection had a lower low mode but I have heard nothing since.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you read that? According to fenix-store, the L2D CE is 9 lumens on low; the L2D Q5 is 12 lumens on low. It would be nice if the newer ones (new circuit) put out 5 lumens on low. Do they??
I did mot look it up but the OP are asking about the L2D CE NOT the Q5. The point I am trying to make is the L2T low is a compromise between the low and medium of the L2D. If he can live with that he can save $3 with the L2T vs. the L2D CE or $14 over the L2D Q5.

Latest posts